Black People : Sell Out

IntelligentNoir said:
Im not sure why you think that only sucessful brothers and sisters are considered sell outs. Heck, I have seen blacks who are everyday people being accusedof such for merely expressing a difference of opinion from the group (points to self):SuN035: But that is a matter for another day. I think people do not undertsand truly what a sell out is and there in lies the problem. For me a sellout has nothing to do with how much one achieves in thie world, whether they speak Kings english or is the most articulate mutha cruncher this side of the mississippi, and it most certainly shouldn't be tied to people who choose to break from the group to form free thinking opinion. The key word is"free thinking".

Now for me, my understanding and what has always been a sellout for me, are peope who attain wealth, but instead of taking that knowledge they've gained and teach their brothers a few things on how to rise, they sit on television shows with whites smiling and cheesing and talking down to them. My idea of a sellout are people who are in a position to do great things but spend all their time catering to whites (oprah). My ideal of a sell out are black who speak like whites. No not be articulate, because whites do not have a monopoly on speaking articulately. What I mean is that the things that flow out of their mouths is something you'd expect hearing from a Bill O'Reily and Rush Limbaum. For me this is what a sell out is. It's not about sucess, but what they do with that success.

Thank You, your response was 'pulse quickening', I would agree with all that you have said, but, If the person is not Oprahesque,If they are just a run of the mill brother or sister without her record of acheivement would we even know that they have 'sold out'? Jessie Lee Peterson for instance Sean Hannitiy's pet dog, he isn't a sellout, he is a never was, his self hatred is useful to sean' in sannity because he assists them in furthering their racist agenda. Sell out too me means that one has fled the struggle to create justice. Now you can do that and commit to not create harm against other blacks, and I am understanding of that type of world weariness. But, that black man or woman who sidles up to the racist to be used by them against the legitimate aspirations of the black masses that person fits my sense of "sellout". Even if under VGQ they can choose to do so. Once again I appreciate your response. thank you!

IntelligentNoir said:
Im not sure why you think that only sucessful brothers and sisters are considered sell outs.

I don't think they are sell out, I don't think that of anyone. Unless a black person is going around sayin putting down purposely their own race maybe in that case you can call them "sell out". It was a statement someone made on another forum, I just wanted to bring it up for interest discussion.

Prizmm said:
Which brings to mind another question, If one feels "trapped" by whom are you trapped?
Does one have to have a job in order to be a sellout?
Can a chronically unemployed sister/brother be a sellout?
Can a crackhead be a sellout?

Lol these people can't be sell outs cause no one's expecting anything from them. People of success are expected to be the saviors, of their community you know everyone's looking for a hand out.

I guess I should of said what started this conversation: if you wanna read here it goes. http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...n=ECD02BC7-C4E6-4437-B8A69ADC0DF885BF71969689

It was a lady on the board by the name of Keya who expected black people with a lot of money to come back and help the community but she wasn't satisfed with any of the charity work they did

BallOfConfusion said:
Lol these people can't be sell outs cause no one's expecting anything from them. People of success are expected to be the saviors, of their community you know everyone's looking for a hand out.

I guess I should of said what started this conversation: if you wanna read here it goes. http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...n=ECD02BC7-C4E6-4437-B8A69ADC0DF885BF71969689

It was a lady on the board by the name of Keya who expected black people with a lot of money to come back and help the community but she wasn't satisfed with any of the charity work they did

Thank You for your response, I find it a curious response...I subscribe to the ancient adage "it takes a village"...I think that we should be willing to to reach back and lift up. Those who are fortunate enough to go to college and to use the opportunity to develop cognitively, experientially, and professionally will hopefully become the spook that cracks the door so others may squeeze in.

I don't take any comfort in my relative success when I look at my six brothers and two sisters and all of their children struggling. By the grace of god some are moving ahead with their lives and have not been redirected to the "slave cabins" (prison), while some have not been so fortunate. I as a black man can only find solace when my neighbors, brothers, sisters, children, nieces, nephews are safe, there safety is directly related to my willingness to use myself for their advantage when possible.

There are no supermen I long ago came to the realization (JA Rogers) that there are only men, I am a counter racist out of necessity. A sellout is a conundrum, by he way, we do agree as to what that term implies. I just can't go there I liken it to seeing a toddler crossing a road alone with traffic bearing down on him, What do you do. the sellout turns his back the counter racist rushes into that danger to save a life, you play the hand you are dealt. That child we save may be the genesis of the community we wish to create. Each one reach/teach one, this is not the credo of one who sells out. By the way poor white supremacist may wish to have wealth, but if that isn't the case they, they are stupidly happy, to just be white...

you are what you make yourself....

BallOfConfusion said:
Can I black man/women be professional or successful with being called a sell out by their own people. That is one thing that tips the cow over for me, when some blacks are accused of "not being black enough", uncle tom or what other ignorant names have been made up. Why should black people be sustained to just one stereotype?
i spent 45 years in the corporate sector wearing a white shirt and a tie and no one ever called me anything, at least not to my face.
you do what you want to do.

:10900:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back