Black People : Self-Hate and Traitors

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    I've been reading a very active thread recently and in it some contributors are being accused of being a traitor to their race and suffering from self-hate for being Black, based on the opinions they express.

The "accused" disagrees and believe they are very much supportive of Black people.

Some people here seem to be able to recognize the subtle and overt traits of these issues and call out members on them based on comments they make to a topic.

I don't think I can always see this as clearly through my African-centered lenses and wonder how others do.

How do you know when someone is suffering from "self-hate" and are race traitors?

What are some of the tell-tale signs or symptoms of this thinking pattern.

2. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    One sure telltale sign is one who dates, mates, or marries outside the race! ;) Clarence Thomas and Kanye West for example. :(

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    :SuN020:they dis agree with me….

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

As one who has recently dealt with such accusations I will respond ONE time to you in this and this is to YOU only.

First of all, you do not really KNOW based on comments, especially on a discussion forum.

If this were an ACTIVIST forum then you would KNOW by their actions. However, your own actions would have to demonstrate that you are not guilty of the same as those accused.

For example, since you mention "African-centered lenses".

How is this view African-centered if you are part of Diaspora and you do not have a physical base or organizational context from which your view is centered?

I want you to take some time to think about what I just asked you before you respond.

Frantz Fanon stated that each generation has a historical responsibility to fulfill their mission or betray it.

I look around and see a lot of stones cast at people who have their lives for the liberation of African people by people who have no organization they can bring you into, no institution which can service you, no movement to mobilize you, and no funds to contribute financially to Destee.com let alone African global development.

But they got plenty of venom to spit at others 24/7.

With not a pot to pee in except for that kettle they call Black!

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Self-Hate is an outgrowth of Self-Ignorance; Self-Love, Self-Knowledge. Sometimes, one sort of Ignorance can be another sort of Knowledge. Ergo, the signs of Self-Hate are Self-Ignorance or Foreign Self-Knowledge.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Sister Queenie ... such a great thread ... :toast:

I too have noticed the "personalizing" of the discussions between particular Members, due primarily to difference of opinion coupled with a failure to respond substantively. This behavior often comes from the most enlightened amongst us, which is unfortunate. This phenomena has amazed me over the years, to see so up close and personal, but it's not as bad as it useta be ... :)

Not to make light of it in any way, for it's quite disconcerting. Sisters and Brothers that have so much to give, are so about unity, our people, loving us ... yet they struggle in doing that with each other. It's not a good sign. Our knee-jerk reactions, being so critical of each others choices, decisions, circumstance, etc., while knowing full well the systemic challenges put upon us ... boggles my mind.

Personalizing the discussions is often a precursor to the "self hate / traitor" accusations.

I consider such engagement as a complete loss ... no matter their position on the topic.

We're quick to point out someone else's shortcomings ... never putting our own on the table.

It's juvenile behavior at best, and expected responses from the conditioning at worst.

Who are any of us to call another Sister or Brother a traitor, accuse them of self-hate, or any of that carrying on ... when WE ALL ARE SUBJECT TO THE VERY SAME STUFF ... we all eat the food, we all are subject to the laws (and abide by them), we all must report to someone about something, we are all being monitored, we all have Ancestors killed by them, we all have Family Members incarcerated, we all have been kept at the lowest levels, we all have and do experience so much of the same stuff ... yet we fight each other, attack each other ... instead of being open to each other's opinion, perspective ... embracing an opportunity to grow and broaden ourselves ... learn from each other's experience ... no ... we don't do that ... we fight each other over whether you are eating their white rice or their brown rice ... oh my gosh ... really ??!!

I can't stand it ... personalizing the discussions ... i can't stand it at that level ... let alone after it rises from there, moving on to actually accusing each other of self-hate and traitor designations.

We could all easily be accused and convicted of self-hate and traitors.

It matters not what choices one has made. They are still Black Men (Clarence Thomas and Kanye), and they are still Black Women. No matter what they do. There should be something in us to allow them the opportunities to make their own personal choices, mistakes, what have you ... just like each and every one of us do ... even if we don't like theirs. Let them do it without calling them out of their name. Even if only for the purpose of leaving a great example for the youth that listen to and watch us. If you can't lift them up, then, just don't tear them down.

Seems the more enlightened would be aware of how important this is, and exemplify it.

I don't get it. I'm tired of fussing at it ... especially those who have so much to offer.

It's really sad to me.

Great Topic!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

7. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Can or should us who came of age during the Civil Rights and Black Power Movement eras dare to overcritical, i. e., since in spite of what our mentors/role models struggled to usher in was either blocked or coopted by the white powers that be, and that is sometimes the reason today's generations give the wrong people credit for whatever they do have going for them, hence their confusing and dumbfounding viewpoints reveal the culture shock ad naseum they also aren't ever aware some of them are bad reflections of?

Let us strive to be forgiving (if not forgetting) of those who merely have disgreements with, give them the benefit of the doubt, whereas others who are fronting as things they aren't or aren't truly striving to be, aren't even worth our atention, let along obsessing on whatever led them to sellout or turn traitors...

One works towards their goals and objectives, one doesn't just debate and discuss why others should be too...

FYI...

:10200:

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677

Who made you the "teller of signs" ... ??

If we could see in your life, like we see in Clarence's and Kanye's life ... would there be any signs?

Or are you only counting the signs in other people's lives and not your own?

I mean really ... stop it ... it's kraziness.

I'd bet there is SOMETHING in your life that could be considered such ... if it's only honoring their laws.

In fact ... where does the word traitor even come from ... who coined it?

:heart:

Destee

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    imho...if u suffer from the "monkeys in a barrel syndrome" then u are a good candidate in my books...

one love
    khasm

10. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Black self-hate comes out of feelings of self-unworthiness and become apparent when those feelings are projected onto other members of the race, e.g., "I'm black and I ain't nuthin' and because you're black like me, you ain't nuthin', either!" While this may not be said out loud, as in "African-Americans have a Tradition of hating their children!" it's the obvious, underlying sentiment. I have never been accused of exhibiting black self-hate, but if someone did feel this way about something I said or did, I would hope they would tell me. If it's a miscommunication (such as the purveyor doesn't know the definition of the word, "Tradition"), it can be cleared up by discussion. If I feel the other person has a valid point, i.e., some sentiment I expressed did NOT come from a place of black self-love, it would require introspection on my part. And because I am a FIRM believer in NEVER lying to myself, as well as wanting to be a part of the solution and not the problem, I would go into a quiet place and examine my feelings. By pointing out another's apparent black self-hate in word or deed, I extend to them the same opportunity for self-examination... and correction!.... that I take for myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.