REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
Self-Defense vs. Stand your Ground Laws:

Thinking of Treyvon Martin ‘s death in Florida

By Andre Austin

Michigan is one of the 20 plus states that join Florida with the stand your ground laws which is a recipe to put blacks six-feet in the ground. For a hundred plus years Michigan had a reasonable self-defense law in Pond vs People 8 Michigan 149 (1860). Dealing with a man threaten a man over a period of 3 days and entered his house. The law was that a man (person) is not obliged to retreat if assaulted in his dwelling, but may use such means as are absolutely necessary to repel the assailant. The person acting in self-defense must not take the life of the trespasser if he can arrest or repel. However, if he’s not able to repel or arrest homicide is justifiable and not merly excusable.

Scrap the above law and enter the NRA who want all whites to be quasi police officers to people of color. This goes back to the days of slavery where any white could check a black person pass, arrest and question us for any reason. They just could not kill us because we were property. Now that we free they just want to blow our brains out with the blessing of the law.

George Zimmerman should be in jail for killing Treyvon who was just walking home from the store talking to his girlfriend on his cell phone.

They better hurry up before they burn the town down.

white people want to go back to the old west where everyone was armed and white men killed everybody. too many western movies.
white men feel that if they all take up the gun they can dominate people of color.
i don't think so. blacks and other people of color are not going to have that today.

The Trayvon Martin case has made it crystal clear that black people cannot depend on the police, the district attorney, our treasonously quiet Black President, the Democratic Party, or the NAACP. The police and DA are obviously not going to do anything we the people do not force them to do. And, right now, we the people is doing a certain amount of complaining but not much else. Not taking personal responsiblity to make sure this never happens again. And, yeah, I include me in that list of empty hot air balloons.

The petition has helped to keep the case in the media. But even that has only emboldened Sheriff Lee in particular and the city of Sanford in general to spew forth utterly ridiculous explanations about how the Stand Your Ground law has tied their hands. Explanations which are not even worth rebutting. For since when has the law ever prevented racist white folks from doing whatever they wanted to do anyway?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Emmit_Till_body.jpg

Not even eyewitness testimony, from two _white_ eyewitnesses going public about how the cops ignored them, has changed anything.

This is bad, really bad. Because, if the bigots among us can get away with ignoring such an obvious example of state tyranny as the execution of Trayvon Martin, well, excuse my language, but dayumnnnn. Zimmerman is a monster, true enough. But, the even bigger problem is the stomach-turning, goose-stepping, heil-Hitleresque manner with which the state absolutely refused to protect and defend an unarmed minor from a _known_ psychotic adult.

This has to be corrected, by us, and in a manner that leaves no doubt that we will _NEVER_ accept a similar miscarriage of justice.

The mortal side of I can relate to the desire of many of us to become vigilantes ourselves. But, if we go down that road, we had better first _realistically_ plan out how to be successful doing that. Black _individuals_ shooting white bigots is only going to result in black _individuals_ going to jail --- or worse.

The suggestions from some adults that our youths arm themselves is, quite frankly, cowardly. If you think armed response is appropriate, and I personally don't, but if you do, then take up arms yourself, don't push that off on our children.

Now, I am well known here about my "embrace white folks" approach. But, I am also realistic enough to know black folks are not now ready, if we collectively ever will be again since MLK, to try that. So, okay, here is another alternative to embracing your enemy or shooting back as individuals.

Out-think him.

Recognize that people who think of themselves as white [which includes the bizarrely named white hispanics] are not, collectively, motivated to pull back on the the leash on _their_ police. This thing has now gone too far for petitions, million whatever walks, empty legal threats from the NAACP, or any of the usual tactics to work.

If we do want to fix this, it has to be something which doesn't depend on convincing whites to do what they already know is right.

The fix has to involve convincing a substantial percentage [doesn't even have to be most] of black folks to get up off our knees and stand up as One.

What am I suggesting?

Black people have to fix what is wrong with us. Our passivity, our rarely admitted fear of Ole Massa's whip, and our current preference for that measly paycheck Ole Massa is giving us now over slapping him in the face with it and not really caring if that results in a few paper cuts --- symbolically speaking.

Or, we could just continue doing what we usually do --- beat up on each other with accusations as to who is or is not black enough.

So, again, what am I suggesting?

Know Self.

Because if we ever do figure out how powerful we really are, it won't matter what Massa does, or does not do, or how many 'anti-terror' policies he has been quietly putting in place since 911.

Not even Obama's love for unmanned drones, or his proven willingness to use them to kill American citizens, could deter a people, united.

Grok?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back