Black People : Self Confidence Vs. Bragging

legit-writer

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 12, 2002
Me and a friend had a discussion about what is considered bragging and me and him differ on it greatly. He thinks the mention of what a person does is considered bragging and that having confidence in yourself is arrogant. so Fam, What is the difference between being confident in yourself or taking pride in what you do and actually bragging?

Me and a friend had a discussion about what is considered bragging and me and him differ on it greatly. He thinks the mention of what a person does is considered bragging and that having confidence in yourself is arrogant. so Fam, What is the difference between being confident in yourself or taking pride in what you do and actually bragging?

The difference is Nothing but perception and the only one that matters is your own!! I remember points in my life when people would be like: "Oh, you think you know it all".....and at first I was like, "No, I don't think that"....but I often found that to be a back and forth issue with whoever I was talking with. Now I just let people know; "If I thought I knew it all I wouldn't be studying everyday"....and yes, I study everyday!!

Remember this:

The person who knows not, but knows not that he knows not, is a fool; shun them.

The person who knows not, and knows that they know not, is a student; teach them.

The person who knows, but knows not that they know, is asleep; awaken them.

The person who knows and knows that they know is a teacher, learn from them.

Confidence is when you have humility in what you do or have...You aren't showing it off to get people's approval...You're willing to take a back seat for someone else because you know what you got isn't going anywhere and they know they'll get their turn...People sense confidence even when the person isn't saying anything at all....Confidence comes out on it's own with no effort...and they are content and happy with what they have.
Bragging is a surface thing...It's like "Look what I got...and look what you don't have" type of attitude...There's an arrogance about it when they do it...When you constantly talk about what you have (like materialistic things) in order to make yourself feel better then others that's bragging....Bragging is forced out and onto people....People who brag usually are not happy with what they have and they tend to brag to make others feel worse about themselves.

Confidence is maturity and bragging is immaturity.

Confidence in yourself is different from arrogance.
bragging to others of what you can do or have down in an air of being better than them is arrogance.

But when asked what things one has done or can do, I think it's one's confidence and not arrogance that may be seen.

I do believe it's a matter of perception, and perhaps on how one expresses themselves.

I don't think that these are parallel terms. At first glance, Confidence seems to be an internally induced perception of an individual; Bragging, an externally deduced attribution of an observer. It seems as though one doesn't "brag" but one is accused of "bragging." "Bragging" also seems like a Cultural Phenomenon most relevant to the cynical.

However dictionaries suggest bragging relates to boasting relates to Pride. This Culture "brags" about Christian morals one of which is Humility. In this way, one brags in the absence of humility.
I.e. "I'm not the smartest person in the world but I have an idea on what to do" is humble. "Only I am learned in this matter, be gone!" isn't. Both can be confident. But the latter can be seen as bragging.

Of course this only relates to the valuing of Humility. Not ironically this goes back to our Ancient Cultures.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back