Black People : seen the chris rock show?

Eddie Griffin's "Dysfunktional Family" act is sprayed with use of the "N" word as well as other profanity. It disturbed me to hear him use it, especially in front of an obviously mixed audience.

Funny or not, if we're discussing it here, apparently these types of acts are perceived in a negative light when the "N" word is used.

Do you think these people would be less funny if they eliminated these words from their acts? Are their acts depicting reality and the way we normally talk? Would it be hypocritical for them to not use this language on stage when people obviously use it in their personal lives?

Peace,
Queenie :spinstar:

Points Well Taken by everyone who posted. This is a nice thread. However just for my small experience on this world which is miniscule in comparsion to others. I am not affected or offended when I hear the N word. Where I stay at people use the N word all the time. Some of us have other problems to deal with like, Drugs, Guns and Aids and the use of the N word has really just lost it's weight in the plethora of issues that some people face today.

However, the points raised are quite pertinent and important, and I think sometimes comedians do lean on the crutch of stereotypes too much when telling their jokes. One of the most Brilliant Comedians if not the best Eddie Murphy rarely uses the N word to create a joke. So In technical terms those comedians who all ways use the N word with the same subject matter and tone, just lack creativity, all of the greats do not have to use it all the time.

Thanx for the thread and the posts.

so true now Griffin has twisted it more so then brother C.Rock has and i
agree Manasiac we do have a deeper worry of the communities of guns
drugs and all the other trash we face but when it come to funny comedy
i think if anyone is hurting the black rise of comedy it's Griffin with his use
of languagethe N word in all like a slave driver but Rock has had his share
of off the wall stuff they all are great comedy showcase guys that has took
it into movies and T.V sitcom series .

I think that what both C. Rock and D. Chappelle are doing is throwing a light on White America. Again, that is me looking at what is said in my perceived context. I don't really think the C. Rock is all that funny... but his notions of what Black is versus what "n*****" is does bode with my own definitions... I can't stand them either. And I'm not just talking about the "Black" ones.

D. Chappelle is doing some hilarious stuff! He is approaching his comedy from the point of White America... he is doing more of a social commentary.

E. Griffin's, Dysfunktional Family...went a little over the top for me, but there was parts that had me laughing.

The word "N*****" doesn't bother me. But the experiment with trying to make the term obsolete in it's negative connotations did not work; and perhaps We should take it another route?

Did any of you see this Sunday's Sopranos. "Unidentified Black Males..." on the surface one could get angry about the show; but within the context of what I gather they were doing; shining a light on how society at large treats, lies and destroys Black men in particular, I was not upset.

Two of the gang members had a fight, and when one of the gang asked about the guy who got beaten having to go to the hospital because of his injuries and what if the hospital called the cops? The Fat Pig gangster said, "...what those two "N******" who attacked him and ran that-a-way?" And later in the show the fat pig gangster was in a truck giving oral sex to a security guard.
And Meadow, the head gangsters daughter, who knows that her father had her boyfried killed; told her new boyfriend, who was freaking out because he got a job working around the gangsters; that her ex-boyfriend was killed by drug dealers, who were African-American, "... if it made him feel better..."

Now that should bring pause. And please don't tell me that it is just tv-- this does happen each and everyday; bang, just now, it happened...some lying mf, just blamed an innocent Black person for something they didn't do, based on hatreds and stereotypes...bang, there it goes again! And Again, And Again... These days I just can't be too sure that the dog doing the lying and destroying is just WHITEY.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back