Seeing a Psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by kente417mojo, Dec 14, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    It's becoming more and more common for people to seek the advice of a Psychiatrist. I don't know about you, but I would feel funny paying a complete stranger to tell me.....about me. What do you think? Has anyone had any experience seeing a Psychiatrist and why did you go? What were the benefits and what did you get out of it? How do you know that you need to seek the help from a Psychiatrist? :insane:

Ok, If you haven't been to one or you don't want to admit it, would you consider going to one if you thought you needed it? Have you known someone that has had an experience with one? Do you think it shameful to seek help from one? Any opinions? ;)

2. 1hotvirgowoman

1hotvirgowoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6

Good Luck with this Thread!!!!!!!

3. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Why, no one sees a Psychiatrist? I keep hearing people talk about having appointments to talk to one and things like that. I'm wondering if it's as common as it seems.

4. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6

Noo thats not it. Do you honestly think that some of these Brothas' and Sistas' are gonna ADMIT that they seen a Psychiatrist?. Most People see it as embarrassing, I don't. And Honestly, If I had ever been to a Psychiatrist, I would tell you- I'm not ashamed of saying that I had received help from a professional Stranger........But think about it, on a daily Basis our Brothas' and Sistas' ask us for our insight on their personal Problems. We render our services to them, doling out help in their time of need- so actually, WE are all, in our own way, Psychiatrists!. Are we not Strangers?........

We both know that some of "US" needs to see one....I ain't gon' say no names.......I'm one ov' em tho'...LOL

5. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6
    I will be rendered Speechless if someone DOES reply!!!. I can't wait!....

6. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I see what you're saying, but you said you'd tell and if I ever saw one I'd tell.....so some people might be comfortable telling. I mean, people go to Psychiatrist for different reasons. It's not always because they got molested or raped or anything. I think there are issues that everyday people have that might make them see one. I don't think it's embarassing, but I would like to know if it's as common as it seems. Even marriage counselors. They're along the same lines and if it's a beneficial thing to do in a crisis, some people might want to let others know that it's not as embarassing as some people might think it is.

7. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6

Yup! That's ALL true. I wish that I can say that I HAVE seen one but, well, you know. And of course it's not ALL about past molestation/rape cases, what about those of us who have had other Traumatic Experiances aside from the ones mentioned above?. Hmm.....

Hey Kente, what is the difference between a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist?
    I know for a fact that a Psychiatrist can prescribe Perscriptions whereas a Psychologist can only offer either a referral or verbal advice along with Mental Counseling- am I right thus Far?

8. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Good question....wish I could answer it in my own words.

Check this out http://www.ottawa-psychologists.com/faq1.htm

9. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6
    On the Contrary!. Thank Ya' Kindly!. Soo, you mean to tell me that you wouldn't see a Psychiatrist if need be?

10. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6
    Man Kente', I'm bored, I think I'm gonna go watch The Chappelle Show Clips........

Users found this page by searching for:

1. molestation destee.com destee.com