Black People : Sean Bell Was Killed in David Patterson's NY

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Jul 28, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Remember David Patterson, New York's first Black governor? And remember Sean Bell, the young groom who was gunned down by the police on his wedding day? Brotha info-moetry came into chat and told us New York was about to explode. Well I was there last week and wasn't nothing happening.

Could this slaughter under a Black governor be a clear message that Obama or no Obama it's going to be business as usual

The last straw is not necessarily the heaviest straw. But while we waiting to see what's going to be the last straw for Blacks if you come anywhere near the white man's camel with what looks like it might be a straw he will gun you down.

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Whoa!

I beg to find out how Gov. Paterson being sworn in as Governor for the NY has any ties whatsoever to Sean Bell's situation.

For starters, Sean Bell was killed in NYC. NYC operates more like it's own independent state, compared to the rest of NY. If something were to go down on the streets of NY, why not look at the mayor, NYPD, state Law Enforcement, etc.?

I'll discontinue with the rest, just wanted to make that point. Oh yeah - since NYC has its own Government, where is the responsibility on the part of NYC Government?

KWABENA

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey brotha Kwabena,

I think you may have misunderstood me. I am not saying there is a connection. In fact, I am saying there is no connection. That having a Black governor has not affected the status quo in the least. So Sean Bell's death may have been the NYPD's way of bringing that message home and may be a precursor to the way things will be under Obama. No different A lot of folks have unreasonable standards for Obama. If he doesn't get up there and wave his magic wand they will feel disappointed like he failed. We can't just sit back and wait for one powerful official to make a big difference. It's not going to happen that way.

That's the point I was making. My bad for not being clear.

4. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    you know

Patterson wasn't governor when Sean was killed.

also Info-Moetry lives in that crazy borough "da Bronx" you know they're
    bonkers being so close to Yonkers lol hahahhahahahaha INF i'm just playing
    don't buck at me lol

also sista river you were in queens the quiet part lol yea yea i know southside, south rd and all that tell 50 i said so lol

obama, patterson pick any black you want WE DON'T RUN THIS

the explosion INF speaks of is a reality, because you didn't witness it when

you were here, doesn't mean it............................

bro. Kwabena statement made alot of sense

what INF was speaking of is bigger than me, you, obama, patterson, and all

combined, it's not NY exploding it's the whole thing

sometimes trouble is hard to gauge from a position of comfort*

*not directed towards you personally sista river, i was speaking in general

5. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    new york about to explode for what? NYPD always shot black people, and nothing happens? them italians in bensonhurst and howard beach always attack black people NOTHING happens

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Oh OK-

My bad for not thinking it through thoroughly. Being from NY State, I know and understand very well that there is too much of a difference between NYC and NY State, to see how NYS Government could be that impactful toward NYC, being that NYC has its own governance.

Anyhow, my mistake - we may proceed on with the thread...

KWABENA

7. Prizmm

Prizmm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Becoming Universal
    Ratings:
    +22
    My brother if you live in any of the upstate metro areas, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Utica, Albany, and you are of color, a black man or woman, you getting the same treatment brothers and sisters in the NYC area receive. An enformcement official shot and killed an unarmed brother in the city of Utica nearly three years ago (shhhh) that officer didn't even receive a slap on the wrist, hell he might have been promoted? Remember in Long Island near Riverhead, Arthur white defended his family against a bunch of drunk white boys, and HE is going to prison. We are under seige, and tragically the refinement of the system of white supremacy is so tight, we can't see it. If you live in this universe (amerikkka) and you are black you are subject to this evil. We have to share these stories so that we recognize the similarities and the commonalities across the nation.

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Gee street, people just started talking about Sean Bell so I thought it was recent. In fact the father of the woman he was going to marry played guitar in the band my cousin used to sing with right there in Queens. Did somebody just say Queens is the quiet part of town LOL. But this happened in 2006 and is even in Wikipedidia so why people just now talking about it?

9. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    it's still talked about because

the bride is still trying to get justice for the police shooting at her groom 50 times and killing him. she feels she hasn't gotten justice because the cops
    were never convicted of a crime. so they want to get it as relevant as possible.
    people are continuing to talk about because WE never seem to get justice
    from the "justice" system when cops committing crimes against US, when
    cops use their badge as protection from conviction