Black Spirituality Religion : Science and Faith

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by karmashines, Aug 2, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Does science enrich one's spiritual/religious experience as one realizes HOW God manages His/Her beautiful and complex creation, or does it cause less reliance on the Divine? How does one deal with scientific evidence that goes against whatever doctrine or dogma they may practice? All religious and spiritual perspectives are welcome to respond.

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Good question,

Science and Mathematics don't necessarily enrich my spiritual experience, I would say it tends to confirm the things I've discerned over the years

3. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    A resounding YES. I've found that my spiritual journey is indeed enriched by the various aspects of science, both subtle and blatant.

We must remember, that the word SCIENCE:
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/science.html

[14th century. Via French < Latin scientia < scient-, present participle of scire "know, discern" < Indo-European, "cut"]

Simply means "TO KNOW". It has little to do with the complexities that we have attached to the term in today's modern world.

God is a God of Science, and thus all who strive to know God, are the ultimate Scientists.

There are no contradictions. Knowledge ("science") does not contradict itself. It is only in the lack of this knowledge, that the contradiction is to be found.

The key in all of this is perception. Our perception is so very limited in this post-modern world, by our fears and prejudices of things that we do not understand.

Ancient Kemet, for example, was one of the most scientifically advanced society on the planet at the time, yet all their literature contained spiritual jargon, not scientific.

Thus, our ancestors understood the relationship between the "spiritual" and the "scientific"; in reality they were one and the same, as there was no distinction.

PEACE

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    one of the reasons i am an atheist is that at an early age i was told i could have faith or believe my lying eyes.
    i went with what my eyes could see.

5. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I asked my biology teacher a couple of years ago what is science based off of and she said "it is based of the best guess that can be obtain during that given time frame or a an idea agreed on by very educated people". It was science that agreed the world was flat, man couldn't go faster than 45 miles per hour without going into shock, black people didn't possess the complexities to have mental illness, that Jews during the 20s and 30s were better basketball players due to how they evolved, the universe revolved around the earth, life existed on Mars, and oh so much more. You can't have science without faith or faith without science both are ever changing.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I was greatly fascinated reading Maat: The 11 Laws of God where Ra Un Nefer Amen pointts out the scientific evidence for the existance of God. God's mathematical design of the universe is evinced in every atom of matter. Every atom has electrons that orbit the nucleus in layers and each layer has the same number of electrons distributed in an order thata can be discerned only by intelligent beings.

On the first level there are 2 electrons. On the second 8. On the third 18. The fourth 32.

An intelligent creature can discover the code by which God laft his/her stamp on creation.

2(1)square = 2
    2(2)square = 8
    2(3)square = 18
    2(4)square = 32

That the Creator would make himself knowable in this manner tells me that he expects me to use the brain he created me with. The idea that by using the tool God gave me I am not depending on him is ludicrous. God's glory, honor and majesty is not so fragile that we have to dumb sown so as not to threaten him. The whole purposse of depending on God is just acknowledging his role as creator and trusting his love. Thata means we should use every gift he has given us including our brains.

7. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    Afrakans don't seperate science from spirituality. Imhotep epitomizes this concept. He was a muti faceted man, a philosopher, a scientist, a prieist, an archeaolgist, an astronomer, an engineer, a mathematician, and medical doctor who treated over many ailments and more. Through his deep spirtuality, he was able to do what no man is recorded of doing.

http://www.playahata.com/pages/bhfigures/bhfigures10.htmlhonor

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

PEACE>......................

9. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    Of course!! lf l may share with you Psalms 19: 1-6

1)The heavens tell the glory of God, and the skies announce what his hands
    have made.
    2)Day after day they tell the story; night after night they tell it again.
    3)They have no speech or words; they have no voice to be heard.
    4)But their message goes out through all the world; their words go
    everywhere on earth. The sky is like a home for the sun.
    5)The sun comes out like a bridegroom form his bedroom. lt rejoices like an
    athlete eager to run a race.
    6)The sun rises at one end of the sky and follows its path to the other end.
    Nothing hides from its heat.

l believe their are two ways "of knowing"- by science and by faith;
    however, God can only be pleased by our faith and faith alone.

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    My People Are Destroyed For Lack Of What?

Faith in what? You can have faith that the brain God created us with is useful for something and not to be parked under the pew. But to just blindly believe a book that tells you things your God given brain knows are not true is not faith--it's stupidity.

God gave you your brain and you know this. Man gave you the book and claimed it is from God. If that which is claimed to be from God really is from God then it should be in harmony with that which you KNOW to be from God--your brain.

Does not the verses syou just quoted from Psalms and Paul also tell us that
    If God wants us to clearly see and understand him based on his creation what is this "faith" that tells you something different?

But I'm sure you can find plenty verses to contradict this.