Black People : School Closings and Privitization in Detroit, the future for other cities?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Mass Closures of Public Schools, Promotion of Charters Raise Fears of Privatized Detroit Education System
    Detroit plans to close more than a quarter of its public schools at a time when private foundations are pledging hundreds of millions of dollars to reshape the Detroit public school system. The foundations are pushing for mayoral control of the school and the opening of dozens of new schools including charter schools. The plan is seen by critics as a move to privatize the city’s school system.

full article;
    http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/2/mass_closures_of_detroit_schools_promotion

2. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    What do you think about this? It seems that it is something that will largely affect inner city students. Below is a study that states that charter schools are not necessarily better.

Charter Schools Might Not Be Better
    June 17, 2009 12:58 PM ET | Zach Miners | Permanent Link | Print

The study, conducted by the Center for Research on Education Outcomes at Stanford University, compared the reading and math state achievement test scores of students in charter schools in 15 states and the District of Columbia—amounting to 70 percent of U.S. charter school students—to those of their virtual "twins" in regular schools who shared with them certain characteristics. The research found that 37 percent of charter schools posted math gains that were significantly below what students would have seen if they had enrolled in local traditional public schools. And 46 percent of charter schools posted math gains that were statistically indistinguishable from the average growth among their traditional public-school companions. That means that only 17 percent of charter schools have growth in math scores that exceeds that of their traditional public-school equivalents by a significant amount.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/on-education/2009/06/17/charter-schools-might-not-be-better.html

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    exactly,

we are being sold another "bill of goods" that has about as much credentials as 40 acres and a mule,
    and the price of a mule today at 12 hundred dollars, and 40 acres at 1000 per acre.

The real deal is why do the neocons that we had to suffer under for 8 doggone years,
    still get what they want??????

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

Let's recap what has happened to this school system. A multibillion dollar bond measure was passed by Detroit citizens to fix up, rebuild and revamp the schools there. The elephant people govenor, upset because his suburban ( white ) cronies were being shut out of the contracts, decided, the system was therefore corrupt and took over the school system. Kicking out all the black elected officials. Now before folx start saying that this is all whiteys fault, had brothers and sisters came out and voted, the idiot govenor wouldnt have even been elected. But, hey, that's another thread.

He then appointed an oligarchal dictator that had NO oversight. Kenneth Burnley took the system, who had a $100 million dollar surplus into a $400 million dollar deficit. After it was revealed that he was more corrupt than the group that the govenor ever claimed the Dems were. Moreover, he seemed to have this problem with not turning budgets in on time. But because he was a good old boy, he was never investigated or indicted.

When blacks got the vote back, we were saddled with this large deficit, and a bunch of charter schools. Even then, it was known only 10% of the charter schools were performing equal the public schools. The rest flunked a standardized national exam. Yet, the last act of the elephant peoples legislature was to allow 150 more charter schools. It was discovered that all the term limited black politicians voted for them as well. Furthermore, they set themselves up to benefit by getting themselves several of the charter contracts. One of these was the future mayor, Kwame Malik Kilpatrick.

By then, the subsequent election was rigged so that only the idiot suns and daughters of the sellouts were elected. They then, along with KMK ran the system into backruptcy. In comes Robert Bobb, the financial manager. He is quickly declared the savior, because he ferrets out some nickel and dime stealing. They then annoint Bobb head of everything, including curriculum. Which all turns out to be nothing more than a union busting initiative. He then gets another $500 million dollar bond initiate passed, which is not used for anything he promised it would be used for. he then get a lot of out of town ( read out of state ), no bid, multimillion dollar contracts to old friends that dont seem to have the background or track record to do. In fact, many of them are under investigation or sanctioned in the states they come from.

The goal here seems to be to run the entire system into backruptcy, so it will be broken up and parcelled offed. It should be noted that not one suburban community in the state has a chartered school. That again, only 10% of existing charted schools have measured up to the public schools. The chartered schools are NOT required to have certified teachers or unions. They also arent required to have problem, handicapped or academically challenged kids.

:em0200:

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Brother Kem, i was wondering if you got some stats that compare the proficiency rates for Black students in traditional schools and charters that you can share.

If most charters are located within mostly Black inner-city schools it seems that their level of funding will not be equal to that of most traditional schools with largely whites and middle class black folks in the suburbs.

It seems that there is a trend with black politicans who are advancing charter reform in that most seem to be profiteering from contracting services. If this is true, is the problem with the charter school system itself, or the corruption of the existing system?

6. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    They want to make money off of kids first.
    Educating kids is a secondary issue if it exist at all

The intrest of the kids come last

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    All about the money.....we in a greed world

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    What's the big deal? From what I've read, many of you had nothing but criticism and disdain for the public school system anyway. You claimed the kids weren't learning, the teachers were scared of aggressive students with behavior problems, that the students were running the schools, and the public schools were just babysitting a bunch of ill mannered students.

And now you're concerned that they may be closing in favor or private and charter schools? Why? Sounds like it would be right up your alley since public schools were apparently failing in most of yall's opinion.

I support public schools. Always will and always have. But you know what they say about not missing your water until your well runs dry. So when there are no public schools and they are all gone in favor of private schools run by corps and other charter schools, maybe then you'll understand how important public schools are to the system and appreciate them more.

So I guess I welcome the hurricane with the expectation that when it's all over, people will look at the damage and realize maybe they could have something differently.

Yes... please spread this every urban district there is. I look forward to it.

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    you have never heard or seeme say anything about us not trying to improve the publi school system and fight for parental involvment to be returned to what we pay our taxes for, therefore what is the need for such a broad gemeralization, as well as the facts and data posted here many, times verifying that by and large the charter schools do not give superior but, inferior education.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I have no distain for public schools as i have taught over 20 years in public school system, in two states, including some of the toughest neighborhoods in southern california.

I currently work in non-profit sector, and my students attend public, charter and private schools. I see everyday exactly the quality of education being provided by each system, and i see consistent strengths and weaknesses in each.

Therefore, i dont speak or ask questions from a theoretical viewpoint. i know darn well that public schools tend to have higher student to teacher rations so its difficult to believe they are better service providers. i know its much more difficult to teach a classroom of 48 students compared to 15-25.

i know teachers in charters who tell me the weaknesses they see in that their systems tend to be just as politic driven and bureaucratic as public schools, but its difficult to see how they can be more bureacratic compare to los angeles unified which has a bureacracy larger than many state governments.

what i have actually fought and advocated for in public schools is reform in the sense of local school based managment programs in which parents, teachers, and students play a major role in setting school policy and the actual running of the school.

this is something that many charter schools in black neighborhoods are at least attempting. taking control over how the schools are managed.