Black People : School celebrate Black History Month with fried chicken, cornbread & watermelon lunch

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by shaka64, Feb 8, 2014.

1. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
  2. novek

novek Active Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +36
    I get the stereotypes, but at a basic level is there anything inherently wrong with liking these things or are we just ashamed because whites so?

3. WhatNeedsToBeDone

WhatNeedsToBeDone Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    The only thing that makes it controversial is involving the watermelons.

There is actually zero tie between watermelons and black history.

There have actually been studies showing that black ppl throughout history consumed watermelon at even lower proportions than the general public. Black people are ONLY associated with watermelons b/c early art&theatre portrayed blacks as being simple minded individuals who were simply content by receiving a watermelon and given a rest from hard labor.

On the other hand: I think the cornbread and chicken are totally fine since they actually represent part of the "soul food" cuisine of African Americans.

lol, I haven't read the comments on these articles yet but I can GUARANTEE that they will just paint blacks as oversensitive cry-babies always crying racism even when they had nothing to do with this situation. Whatever..

4. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    This "institution" had the power and forethought to execute the action. Any dialogue after the fact is 20/20 hindsight. It's done.

IMHO>>>>Black History can't be jam packed in one short month. It's contents are "still" yet to unfold for the masses. I prefer 24/7 -365 days a year (eg. 364 if it's a leap year) in order to bring to light our successes as well as our failures.

5. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    First you must know about Concord California. The residents there are highly discriminatory and very racist. LAFAYETTE, Calif and CONCORD CA are 9.7 miles from each other. These racist cant help themselves. It is impossible to get a job there if your Black and I avoid the area as much as possible.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    "zero tie", really? Do you know where it is believed to have originated?

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

This is a tough call, watermelon is one of the healthiest foods one can eat, yet it has a negative connotation when it comes to blacks; the same with fried chicken. Since the school administration claims to have had no knowledge of the planning, which seems hardly unlikely; it can only be taken as a slight toward blacks, in context with Black History Month.

It sort of reminds me of the Tiger Woods incident. White folk didn't like having to accept Tiger in the clubhouse, and Fuzzy sought to taunt him with a similar menu:

Here's What Happened To The Last Golfer Who Made A 'Fried Chicken' Joke About Tiger Woods

Sergio Garcia made a fried chicken joke about Tiger Woods at an awards gala in England last night.

He issued an apology last night, and held a press conference this morningto further discuss the incident.
    The joke was eerily similar to a Tiger Woods fried chicken joke made by golfer Fuzzy Zoeller in 1997.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/fuzzy-zoeller-racist-tiger-woods-joke-2013-5

Fuzzy Zoeller to Tiger Woods - fried chicken/collard greens

A few days later, Zoeller was caught making a similar joke about watermelon to a black friend at a course in South Carolina. From the LA Times:
    The black golfer, Victor McBryde, called to Zoeller, "Hey, Fuzzy," at the Thornblade Classic charity pro-am in Greenville, S.C., and Zoeller responded, "Go get you some fried chicken." McBryde answered by telling Zoeller not to forget the cornbread.
    "How about some watermelon?" Zoeller said.
    In the wake of the scandal, Kmart cancelled its endorsement deal with Zoeller.

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318

You'd be right. I read the comments, and that's all they say.

They also say things like, how their children would be happy to have such a lunch and wouldn't associate it with any race or ethnicity. How stupid.

9. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318

Nothing at all wrong with them. I don't know many blacks who are ashamed to say the love it, eve around white folks.

But it's stupid when caucasians think you eat nothing else but these things, for the most part, or that there aren't any blacks who don't eat them.

Many blacks have a taste for foreign cuisine that even white folks wouldn't know.

10. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The best response, in my opinion, would have been to dismiss it and make sure to have their kids pack a lunch for that occasion and look at them fools like they are crazier than they already are.