Africa : School beatings draw new scrutiny in Africa

I have to clarify what I said. Children do not have rights in terms of getting corporal punishement from parents, teachers and adults. Comparing children from Afraka and Afrakan children from amerikkka is difficult however, because in Afraka, most children come from 2 parent households, even if the husband has more than one wife, his prescence is seen and felt.

The manliness of Afrakan fathers, the rites of passage, the village trully raising children is prevalent in Afraka. Boys know their roles, girls know their roles. During festivals and celebrations, men are present amoung their children, quite often the boys are dressed like their fathers and the girls like their mothers. Much much respect is given to the father, mother, grandparents, aunts, uncles. Traditions passed down for centeries exist and are taught to the next generation.

All of this functioanal living causes most families not to have to inflict corporal punishement on children. Of course children will be children, but the peace is trully there. Most men in Afraka have good memories of their fathers, having worked with them or being trained by them in some manner. The families are basically in tact.

Now compare that to AA in amerikkka. 70% single parenthood. Fathers, brothers etc, not there, in the criminal justice system, gay, crazy, and the list goes on. Disfunctionality in our families is the rule of thumb in amerikkka. Beatings don't make things better either, quite often worse. Funtional loving families rarely exist. I work for a school department. When I see the father present it is odd. It was designed this way and unfortunately we maintian this horrific system because of the vestiges of slavery.

pdiane said:
I have to clarify what I said. Children do not have rights in terms of getting corporal punishement from parents, teachers and adults. Comparing children from Afraka and Afrakan children from amerikkka is difficult however, because in Afraka, most children come from 2 parent households, even if the husband has more than one wife, his prescence is seen and felt.

The manliness of Afrakan fathers, the rites of passage, the village trully raising children is prevalent in Afraka. Boys know their roles, girls know their roles. During festivals and celebrations, men are present amoung their children, quite often the boys are dressed like their fathers and the girls like their mothers. Much much respect is given to the father, mother, grandparents, aunts, uncles. Traditions passed down for centeries exist and are taught to the next generation.

All of this functioanal living causes most families not to have to inflict corporal punishement on children. Of course children will be children, but the peace is trully there. Most men in Afraka have good memories of their fathers, having worked with them or being trained by them in some manner. The families are basically in tact.

Now compare that to AA in amerikkka. 70% single parenthood. Fathers, brothers etc, not there, in the criminal justice system, gay, crazy, and the list goes on. Disfunctionality in our families is the rule of thumb in amerikkka. Beatings don't make things better either, quite often worse. Funtional loving families rarely exist. I work for a school department. When I see the father present it is odd. It was designed this way and unfortunately we maintian this horrific system because of the vestiges of slavery.

The presence of the father do more than what we see everyday as 'normal' in communities. Especially in our downtrodden communities. There was a study of fathers and sons and it said if the father watched sports on tv and in the field the son would pick up on the values of the father to do well in sports for his approval.

Similarly if the father participates in PTA meetings at their local public schools the son would pick up the message that he should do well in school for his father approval.

I can easily translate this into our very own communities with the father cursing, not being around for encouragement, arguing, drinking, smoking, ridiculing others, into amassing women as sport, the son picks up on this and does the same to perhaps get his fathers indirect approval.

Its a dangerous cycle we find our communities in. Somewhere down the line it will spread like a virus to all members of society. It did not start in our communities but this type of behavior was targetted in our communities to manifest itself and now its already spreading to other formally fortified communities ie white middle class, etc.

I agree if we continue with the same behaviors but just add beatings to the list is not a prescription for community wellness.

I think diet also plays a major role in the difference of how African children verse how AfroAmerican children develop mentally and emotionally.

Their diet of fresh meat, vegetables and fewer starches and dairy product is more in tune with thier biological nature and chemistry.

Our diet of junk food, synthetic drugs, and too much starch wrecks our bodies and minds and jacks our children up even before they come out of the womb.

They come out crazy and uncontrolable.

Underpaid and lack of growth is generally what teachers wish to address to their government in Africa but in this case students realize this too ie (their future) and got caught up in the battle. Beating students for these lack in your life as a reason to cause injury to students is wrong and does not change the fundamental problem. Disiplining of children is another matter which involves in my opinion more than the school as the sole place for this to happen, society families and individuals would need to be responsible too or authority.

Three killed in Guinea protest over education
25 Nov 2005 14:03:21 GMT
Source: Reuters

CONAKRY, Nov 25 (Reuters) - Three protesters were killed in eastern Guinea when security forces clashed with hundreds of students who took to the streets to demand more teachers in the volatile West African state, officials said on Friday.

Witnesses said army troops had opened fire on Thursday on the demonstrators, killing three and injuring five in the isolated town of Telimele, some 260 km (170 miles) north of the coastal capital, Conakry.

"Students demonstrated to demand more teachers. Unfortunately, the protest got out of control, provoking the death of three people," Mounir Camara, governor of Kindia province, told Reuters. He did not say how the three died.

"The gendarmerie and the police station were burned. We sent reinforcements and calm has returned this morning," he added. "The situation is under control."

The witnesses said the protesters were marching towards the prefecture building when they were intercepted by soldiers.

"Two students were shot dead. A woman who was injured also died," said one witness, who asked not to be identified.

Soaring prices for basic foods such as rice and fuel have heightened tensions in minerals-rich Guinea, already on edge due to the failing health of its chain-smoking, diabetic president, Lansana Conte.

Long seen as a buttress against wars which ravaged West Africa, Guinea looks ever more vulnerable with a stumbling economy, rampant corruption and a powerful but divided military.

Last week, students clashed with police in Conakry during a strike by state employees demanding higher wages.
That followed riots in June in the capital following sharp increases in the price of fuel.

In recent months, security forces have also had to quell violent demonstrations in other provincial towns.

Again where is the scrutiny in the way African states respond to their people needs. Is being scared of losing your life to address a wrong to abusing authorities but beating students because of it is traditional? In this case should the authority not be challenged because it is so un-African even when wrong is done on a continious basis to not even be considered as a callous error or miscalculation.

There is always other way to address problems without much conflict and loss of life but I just want to add some questions using the logic above.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back