Black Education / Schools : Scholarship

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Froggy1, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    What would you get if you got an athletic scholarship, I mean what are the results of it :dance1: :dance1:

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I would get either a Track and Field Scholarship or a Football Scholarship, and I would step on the track or field and let it out!

CD

3. FiveAlive

FiveAlive Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Froggy, it usually depends on the sport that you receive the scholarship for, and the school that you go to. An athletic scholarship will give you either full or partial tuition, and also room and board and incidentals (meal plans, etc.). Again, it depends on the market the school is in, and the sport. Obviously, a sought after basketball/ football recruit at UVA is going to get more than a ping pong recruit at Boondocks State. In short, it's an opportuniy to go to school for free (or close to free), but there are strings attached.
    The recruit has certain obligations as well. Attendance at all required team functions (meetings, practices, training sessions, etc., both during the season and in/out of season), they may have to help recruit other players, they frequently have curfews, depending on the school there may be grade requirements. Higher prospects are cut more slack, and men are generally cut more slack than women.

4. Froggy1

Ratings:
    +2
    nO tItLe

Okay cause i'm hoping to get a basketball scholarship to Arizona. I'm only a freshman in high school but i'm a pretty good basketball player. I'm very athletic, I got hops, i'm an alright shooter, and i'm really good on defense

5. FiveAlive

FiveAlive Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Good luck Froggy, if you got the skills, it's an attainable goal. Keep practicing, get your game as good as you can, stay focused on your goal and remember to think about how choices you make can affect your goal.

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    OH! NOW I CAN SEE WHY YOU ARE CALLED FROGGY! :jump: :bball:

However, why do you plan to attend Arizona and NOT one of our prestigious HBCU's?

CD

7. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Again Froggy the key thing that they look for is a well rounded student athlete. You must be a star in the classroom as well as on the court.

Have you taken the S.A.T or A.C.T? If not take some prep courses to help sharpen your ability to take the test. Balance is very important everyone is going to be demanding time. Im praying for you bruh this is a tough road, but with some prayer and hard work you can make it. The only thing limiting you is you.

You mentioned you want to go to U of A try to get into one of their youth camps and show up and show out then they will start looking at your early on. You must be very commited to improving your game each year.

8. Froggy1

Ratings:
    +2
    Aight...

Aight but how do I get to a U of A camp? Are they all in Arizona? What's an HBCU?

9. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    HBCU is historicaly black college or university froggy. An example would be like South Carolina State.

10. Froggy1

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh...

I wanted to go to Arizona or Washington cause I want to stay close to home. UCLA was another option too. The reason I haven't considered them is because I haven't heard of any D1 HBCU's. Could you name so more?