Black People : SCHIZOPHRENIA – Mental Illness or Altered States of Consciousness?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by soulosophy, Apr 20, 2009.

1. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    Yesterday, I had a call from a friend who was again committed to the mental institution. She asked me to bring her some things. She told me that the voices keep telling her things that she doesn’t really understand and making her confused that she cannot sort out the information in her head. I’ve had her stay at my house a few times and noticed that when she has not taken her medication I would hear her in another room by herself laughing and having conversations. “Who are you talking to now” I would ask.

One time when she stayed with me, my children’s grandmother came around. She heard my friend talking and laughing in the other room and told me that there is something wrong with her and that I should not have her staying with me. I knew straight away that there was no point in my trying to explain anything to the grandmother because she would not comprehend where I was coming from.

I have two girlfriends here in London who was so-called diagnosed with Schizophrenia over 10 years ago. They are both still on medication and often have so-called relapses where they have to be “committed”. I refuse to believe that my friends are suffering from a mental illness and prefer to see them as having spiritual experiences, able to gaze deeper into the realm of conscious reality. Perhaps then it is not a mental illness but more of a spiritual phenomenon and we have allowed society to label as an illness because we ourselves, living in a society that constantly promotes individualism and divisions, are disconnected from the whole.

When those who we deem as enlightened, mystics, or gnostics have access to higher realms and begin to speak with spirit we perceive them as spiritualists. Yet when someone in our family or a close friend begins speaking to what we think is themselves when they are perhaps speaking with spirit we label them as “crazy” because they are perhaps unable to articulate their experience effectively. Thomas Szasz maintains that describing a behavioral disorder such as schizophrenia as a "disease" is merely a "medical metaphor". In his words: If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. If the dead talk to you, you are a spiritualist; If you talk to the dead, you are a schizophrenic. http://alina_stefanescu.typepad.com/totalitarianism_today/

If the entire universe is mind as expressed in the 1st Law of Nature that All is Mind, then how well can one receive information or thought from other minds and/or other realms which in reality is not really separate, as all things and all thoughts are infinitely interconnected, therefore making it possible that our thoughts are able to reach across and beyond the boundaries of time. We are not a part of it the universe but we are the universe and, therefore if we look at the universe as a holographic idea, then anyone can have access to the deeper levels of reality.

Spirits are all around us everywhere we go. We receive messages from the collective unconscious, it’s only that many of us are not tuned into them, are not awake to them, or know how to access higher information and continue to exist in a way where we believe our existence contains borders and limitations. So certain messages and information stay locked beneath the surface in the depths of our subconscious mind. Mental institutions are perhaps not the best places for such people, but, with many of us being disconnected from the spiritual realm we cannot assist them further to explore and harness their powers of the deeper mind as in other spiritual cultures like the Shamans.

When we enter the dream world, our dream selves are perhaps far wiser than our waking state. No matter how unenlightened a person may be, their dreams can act as metaphors showing their failings to prod them into higher awareness of themselves. According to psychiatrist Montague Ullman, dreams are nature’s way of trying to counteract our seemingly unending compulsion to fragment the world (Holographic Universe, pg 63). We are always sending out and receiving energy. We speak before we talk. It is not the human that speaks but the spririt/s. Whatever you believe becomes real to you.

How do you perceive those with so-called Schizophrenia? And do you know anyone with this phenomenon? If so, how do you interact with them?

Do I Have Schizophrenia?

Love, Peace!

2. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    I have long sensed and come to know this is probably true...for many...especially US....

Still..and with that said, I do also believe in the BOTH/AND...and that means...they are "insane". In saying so, I also KNOW...that "insanity" is a SANE response to an INSANE WORLD...or world view...i.e. white supreme lunacy!

Besides...it is really those MEDS...that are KEEPING them insane.
    If they can LEARN the true context of the "Voices" and come to overstand what they want...then......well.......things may be different for them

I have long argued the diagnosis of "Cultural Schizophrenia" (Culture includes Spiritual beliefs and practices). As a people with the force feeding of european culture, have become Schized. Schizophrenia is a "Thought disorder". That means...there is something askew with a person's THINKING.
    Hearing "voices" is used as the primary marker, yet, I more concerned with Cultural dissociation.

In actuality, when a person is "schizophrenic, it's like their "world"...life's story...experiences.....as a map in your mind, breaks and becomes scattered. Like glass ... and the mind is working to get or keep things connected. This is the life in the mind of someone diagnosed with schizophrenia. The "voices" are the memories of their thoughts, thoughts of others in their life...just all jumbled up. Medications can help yet the doses and types now are designed to just masks the symptoms...For one's world to "break" is a painful event...extremely painful. there was usually a "straw that broke the camels back" and that suggest a serious of emotional pains have taken place...assaults to the SPIRIT really.

As a Scientist Researcher, my first task is to find out..."how did that happen":?: What are the factors supporting the break:?: I know enough to know that the "talking" provides INFORMATION to answering those questions....IF...I am Listening to Learn.....as opposed to listening use against the person any and everything they say...

M.E.
    :hearts2:

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    if the individuals could control when they reached this state then i would not consider it an ailment...but they can't and they can flip the script at any time...my cousin is afflicted with this disorder and there is no rhyme or reason to his mood swings....

now multiple personality disorders i believe to have some deeper science behind it that the current medical profession has not seen as of yet....

one love
    khasm

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    if you look back in the treads you will see that i long ago posed the question as to how do you tell the difference between a schizophrenic and a religious person.
    no good answer.

the thing is if the person is a danger to themselves or others.

5. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    The Soloist

is a book I read which was excellent and is now a movie that comes out this week about this very subject. Read:

Academy Award-nominated Atonement director Joe Wright teams with screenwriter Susannah Grant to tell the true life story of Nathaniel Ayers, a former violin prodigy whose bouts with schizophrenia landed him on the streets after two years of schooling at Juilliard. Steve Lopez (Robert Downey, Jr.) is a disenchanted journalist stuck in a dead-end job. His marriage to a fellow journalist having recently come to an end, Steve is wandering through Los Angeles' Skid Row when he notices a bedraggled figure playing a two-stringed violin. The figure in question is Ayers (Jamie Foxx), a man whose promising career in music was cut short due to a debilitating bout with mental illness. The more Lopez learns about Ayers, the greater is respect grows for the troubled soul. How could a man with such remarkable talent wind up living on the streets, and not be performing on stage with a symphony orchestra? Later, as Lopez embarks on a quixotic quest to help Ayers pull his life together and launch a career in music, he gradually comes to realize that it is not Ayers whose life is being transformed, but his own. - Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide

I plan on seeing this movie the first day it comes out. I grew up with an aunt who was diagnosed as being schiziod. She had a very rough life but is still with us. She doesnt know who I am when she sees me..very sad. She is in her 70's.

6. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    I definately think that people who are diagnosed with Schizophrenia are people who are communicating with the spiritual realm but the question is what kinds of spirits are they communicating with? There are Schizophrenics who wouldn't hurt a fly and there are those that will hurt themselves as well as other people. The ones who hurt themselves as well as other people, what kinds of spirits are they communicating with? This is the kind of question one must ask, if one is not going to be concerned, worried or afraid of having ones children around such Schizophrenic people.

Astrologer4U

7. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    I agree with you

Sister Caroline Arewa says that opening the throat chakra enables us to hear voices from the ether realm. While this may be a sign of spiritual evolution or ascension it also qualifies as a sign of mental illness.

Psychology literally means the study of the soul, so in essence, these are not mental illnesses at all, they are disturbances of the soul. Medication suppresses the symptoms but does not heal the disturbance.

Vince Li escaped a prison sentence in Canada because the system declared him to be schizophrenic. I personally think this is B.S because the man came aboard the bus with the butcher knife and then claimed to hear God's voice telling him the victim Tim McLean was evil.

He told police he had changed his name to Vince Day. And he said, "I'm guilty, please kill me."

Psychiatrists testified Li was schizophrenic and suffering a major psychotic episode at the time of the killing.

"Li heard voices from God telling him that McLean was an evil threat that needed to be eliminated, the psychiatrists said. Even after the killing, Li believed McLean might come back to life and threaten him. The psychiatrists testified Li fit the criteria for someone who was not criminally responsible for their actions due to mental illness."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/03/05/mb-li-verdict.html

I recall hearing the President Bush claimed God spoke to him as well advocating the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, and yet no one locked his psycho butt up.

Seems to me that if you're mentally ill and violent, society finds a way to "help you" or excuse you; if one is mentally ill and peaceful then society medicates or ignores you altogether.

Again, we as a collective are not entirely connected spiritually, so there are many things we mis-diagnose and are simply not able to face. The left brain approach to reality is useful in some areas, but not in all. It was interesting that the video discussed situations where the wrong thing happens at the wrong time, triggering an onset of schizophrenia.

Between the prisons, and the medical industry, the education system and the economic structure it's amazing that many of the normal population are actually functional at all. But then again, when we look at the rate of divorce, domestic disputes, violence in the streets and utter cruelty that happens in the news isn't that clear evidence that collectively our souls are in a state of sickness?

Great topic