Pan Africanism : SC: Kwanzaa not catching on despite black population

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by dustyelbow, Dec 28, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21

This PITFALL for KWANZAA is certainly due to the high number of BAD TEACHERS in the COMMUNITY and as ALWAYS OUTSIDE the COMMUNITY.

Kwanzaa must show some WORKS from TEACHERS who can show and SHARE profit NOT MAKE PROFIT to the EVERYDAY PERSON.

2. Bunni

Bunni Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to admit, I also do personally not know any people that celebrate Kwanzaa, and I've generally been raised around other black people all of my life.

One of my personal concerns about Kwanzaa is that I do not understand that if Kwanzaa is meant to bring members of the African Diaspora closer to their roots, then why is Swahili, a language of East Africa, being used rather than a West African language like Yoruba or Twi or Fon, since most members of the African Diaspora have ancestry in West Africa and not East Africa (not counting "Eve")? Maybe someone can explain this more thoroughly to me.

3. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Dont you want to be impressed by a COLLEGIATE STYLE BROTHER and SISTER sharing their COLLEGE WISDOM to the MASSES who are getting more SERVICE and ATTENTION from the MAINSTREAM in the form of GIFTS for all OCCASIONS.

Now that COMMERCIAL INTEREST grabbed it instead of the MASSES, KWANZAA have reached a POINT where it needs to ADDRESS its TRUE MEANING, to SHARE FREELY even INVITING the MASSES to the COLLEGE ENVIRONMENT to EAT and SLEEP in MASSES. The CHRISITAN CHURCH does that more than them AT THIS TIME OF YEAR and that is why KWANZAA is for the EDUCATED (So called CONSCIOUS) PERSON and UPWARD INCOME brother and sister to CELEBRATE.

Please NOTE I AM NOT AGAINST KWANZAA but you have to UNDERSTAND what's GOING ON.

Whether it is EAST AFRICAN or WEST AFRICAN dont MATTER. It would still be in the POSITION that it FINDS it self IN.

4. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    kwanzaa

being celebrated after xmas and before the new year is a virtual death sentence

most people are programmed to xmas

maybe kwanzaa needs its' own time of year maybe in a month with not much else happening like the beginning May, or August

5. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +244
    Kwanzaa has been blowing up in Chicago over the past 7 or 8 years. There is a big pre-Kwanzaa festival the third weekend of December that lasts for 2 days, followed by an even bigger 7 day celebration on the other side of town that runs from December 26 thru January 1.
    To say that Kwanzaa was created to bring members of the African Diaspora closer to their roots is cliche and overly simplistic. The answer to the question as to why it was created can be found at http://www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org/faq.shtml

Swahili was chosen because it is a non-tribal language. Also, all West Afrikan groups migrated there from the East at some point in the past, some peacefully (like the Mende of Sierra Leone, whose claim to fame is the Amistad affair), while others were on the run from successive invasions by the Greeks, Persians, Romans, and Arabs. Still others were forced to migrate West due to the drying out of the Sahara.

Contrary to popular mythology, the focus is not on East Afrika. Kwanzaa draws from traditional "First Fruits" celebrations that are common in different parts of the continent including the East, West, and South.

In any case, black people who object to Kwanzaa because they think it's focuses solely on East Afrika have no problem celebrating Christmess. My question to them is if your problem is that you think the focus of Kwanzaa is East Afrikan and our ancestors came from West Afrika, then please tell me what part of europe our Afrikan ancestors came from to justify your celebration of the pan-european holiday known as Christmas.

The most thorough and reliable information about Kwanzaa is in the book entitled "Kwanzaa: A Celebration of Family, Community and Culture" by the originator, Maulana Karenga.

6. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +244
    Condensed from "Kwanzaa: A Celebration of Family, Community and Culture" by Maulana Karenga:

"[The] year end time period became the choice for the time of celebrating Kwanzaa for several reasons:
    1) It corresponds to the time of traditional Continental Afrikan First Fruits celebrations (end of one year to the beginning of the next)

2) The time of celebration fits into the existing pattern of year end celebrations in the US, allowing celebrants of Kwanzaa to build on the holiday spirit and orientation already present

3) The dates of December 26 thru January 1 mark the end of the period of the high-priced hustle and bustle of Christmas buying and selling

4) To give African Americans a time to celebrate themselves, their history, and their culture and not just imitate the dominant culture

5) To give those who wished it a culturally specific holiday to celebrate in a time of celebration"

7. robboy2003

robboy2003 Well-Known Member MEMBER

To bring strength and a calming influence,and to s
    Ratings:
    +5
    It seems a positive enterprise and,if nothing else a solid connection could be made with African Brethren. How difficult for someone to try and pick up the language?

Peace!