Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Saving Black Boys
The elusive promises of public education

By Rosa A. Smith

Among the many children in America who are at risk and likely to lack success in school -- most often because they lack authentic educational opportunities -- the African American male student stands alone in terms of the accumulation of negative factors affecting his future. The evidence is startling, and the sum of all these negative factors alarming.

Special Education: Black boys in 2000-2001 made up 8.6 percent of national public-school enrollments. They constituted 20 percent of those classified as mentally retarded, 21 percent of those classified as emotionally disturbed, 12 percent of those with a specific learning disability and 15 percent of those placed in special education. Twice as many black boys are in special education as black girls, a fact that rules out heredity and home environment as primary causes and highlights school factors.

Expulsions and Suspensions: Despite representing only 8.6 percent of public-school enrollments, black boys comprise 22 percent of those expelled from school and 23 percent of those suspended.

Dropouts: While between 25 percent and 30 percent of America's teenagers, including recent immigrants, fail to graduate from high school with a regular high-school diploma, the dropout rate for African American males in many metropolitan areas is 50 percent.

Graduation Rates: Nationally, 50 percent of black males (as compared with 61 percent of black females, 80 percent of white males and 86 percent of white females) receive diplomas with their high-school cohort. In some urban districts, 30 percent of black males are in special-education classes, and of the remaining 70 percent, only half or fewer receive diplomas.

Juvenile Incarceration Rates: For whites under 18, 105 out of every 100,000 are incarcerated; for black youths the rate is three times as high, 350 per 100,000. More black males receive the GED in prison than graduate from college.

Unemployment: According to the 2000 census, the percentage of black youths 16 to 19 neither employed nor in school was 24.7 percent, nearly twice the national average for this age group and six times the national unemployment rate.

As a society, we don't like to talk about the magnitude of this failure. Ted Sizer, founder of the Coalition of Essential Schools, speaking at an Educators for Social Responsibility meeting about America's most vulnerable students, asked, "Why are we so silent on these questions? ... Why is the silence so pervasive?"

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

Where is the family structure?

I grew up in the sixties. I was raised in Cincinnati Ohio. The projects was the typical abode for most of the black kids I knew. There were projects all over the city. We thought that living in a newer one gave us more status, that was important. Many more of us had a father in the family during those times, my brothers and I didn't. But the extended family was there for us, and encouraged us to stay in school and to graduate. My mother raised six boys alone, and five finsihed high school. The last one quit a few weeks before the year ended. It was expected that we all finish school, period. My mother's policy was that you had to move out of the house the same day you quit school, if you decided to quit. Most of my friends finished too. Parents wouldn't allow dropout buddies to come around after they quit, too strong an influence.

I am sure we got cheated in some ways even then, some of the white kids I served with in the military told me that it was standard knowledge that we (blacks), got an inferior education, it was by design, and expected.

All my kids finished school also, and my grandchildren are batting 1000. Those statistics you gave, Destee, reflect on our community in the worst way. We live in a world were races compete for everything, one race is not going to give a competing race a hand in winning. We stand alone in this struggle. There is really nothing in those stats that surprise anyone who lives in the "hood".

I now live in Mayberry (sorry folks), I worked hard to get out of the inner city, so stats are quite different. We graduate about 90% both black and white. There are more white kids arrested than blacks also. Black men and women who have been fortunate enough to raise their standard of living, aren't going to tolerate criminals and misfits coming from their progeny.

For those kids that aren't suppose to be "left behind". There needs to be a congressional investigation to find out why they are, and why they are disproportinately in the inner city. Black folks need to be writing there congressman about this. Those kids in detention, under suspension and expulsion etc., are the future dropouts and then future drug dealers (criminals) and then inmates, cyclical inmates, because they have been damaged beyond repair in some cases. The cycle starts and ends in our community, help is not going to come from the neighbors across the railroad tracks. If we could just get back to the basic African concept of family unity.

Destee said:
Saving Black Boys
The elusive promises of public education

By Rosa A. Smith

Among the many children in America who are at risk and likely to lack success in school -- most often because they lack authentic educational opportunities -- the African American male student stands alone in terms of the accumulation of negative factors affecting his future. The evidence is startling, and the sum of all these negative factors alarming.

Special Education: Black boys in 2000-2001 made up 8.6 percent of national public-school enrollments. They constituted 20 percent of those classified as mentally retarded, 21 percent of those classified as emotionally disturbed, 12 percent of those with a specific learning disability and 15 percent of those placed in special education. Twice as many black boys are in special education as black girls, a fact that rules out heredity and home environment as primary causes and highlights school factors.

Expulsions and Suspensions: Despite representing only 8.6 percent of public-school enrollments, black boys comprise 22 percent of those expelled from school and 23 percent of those suspended.

Dropouts: While between 25 percent and 30 percent of America's teenagers, including recent immigrants, fail to graduate from high school with a regular high-school diploma, the dropout rate for African American males in many metropolitan areas is 50 percent.

Graduation Rates: Nationally, 50 percent of black males (as compared with 61 percent of black females, 80 percent of white males and 86 percent of white females) receive diplomas with their high-school cohort. In some urban districts, 30 percent of black males are in special-education classes, and of the remaining 70 percent, only half or fewer receive diplomas.

Juvenile Incarceration Rates: For whites under 18, 105 out of every 100,000 are incarcerated; for black youths the rate is three times as high, 350 per 100,000. More black males receive the GED in prison than graduate from college.

Unemployment: According to the 2000 census, the percentage of black youths 16 to 19 neither employed nor in school was 24.7 percent, nearly twice the national average for this age group and six times the national unemployment rate.

As a society, we don't like to talk about the magnitude of this failure. Ted Sizer, founder of the Coalition of Essential Schools, speaking at an Educators for Social Responsibility meeting about America's most vulnerable students, asked, "Why are we so silent on these questions? ... Why is the silence so pervasive?"

Click Here To Read Entire Article

Destee

1. The family unit must be maintained. That wont be done until sisters start admitting that they have and are making bad choices in mates. Moreover, that there is a phenomenon of not have a mate at all, just a sperm donor.

2. Failing that, understand that manhood starts at birth. That a strong, decent male role model must be found early on.

Kemetstry said:
1. The family unit must be maintained. That wont be done until sisters start admitting that they have and are making bad choices in mates. Moreover, that there is a phenomenon of not have a mate at all, just a sperm donor.

2. Failing that, understand that manhood starts at birth. That a strong, decent male role model must be found early on.

Kemetstry ... don't make me (more) krazee. I am not about to let you put this entire phenomena on the shoulders of Sisters.

Quit it.

Destee

It should not be expected that the 'west' would truly educate (lead externally)

Placing the blame on one side is not only self-defeatist but also a tactic used to subjugate our people in this world in the first place...playing one side against the other.....

What I will post below does NOT apply to the average lazy guy that has all the resources he needs but does not choose to take advantage of it.

It does start at home,but a 'home' is not just a building where your family is and it is NOT where the heart is since most people in this world today measure their 'heart' by the ideologies they did not create...home is where you want it to be,it is that simple.

The term 'home' for a number of people also implies family,but by whose ideology,is the family just your childs mother and the child being the result of a fling that was had with no commitment involved? Or did one party not realize the true feelings of the other?All of those questions are some of the fundamental questions that can be applied to individual couples/small groups but NOT the population of our people in the world...

The question is,in my opinion, what ideology or definition of 'manhood/womanhood' are you operating by,is it the definition if your people (or yourself) or are you adopting a concept/interpretation that is foreign to your people meaning that you will have to mold yourself and therefore defeat yourself....

That article there is the typical 'we have to save those who we do not care for in the first place" type of jargon and is measured as it relates to ECONOMICS and how much money they can make off of black/afrikan youth in that country..

Another question is solutions to our problems in this world,some of which may not come about without bloodshed.....

Does anyone have any idea as to where to start?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back