Black People : Save Stanley "Tookie" Williams!

Will you make a call or send a fax?

• Call Gov. Arnald Swartzinegger's office?

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Fax a letter to Gov. Arnald Swartzinegger's office?

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
$$RICH$$ said:
May this Man soul be saved ........

I second that...

I personally do not believe in the death penalty even though I have had a family member murdered. But IF Mr Williams is indeed guilty of these murders or responsible for influencing the murders of other folk thru his being the leader of the gang he co-founded (no matter what the original intention for this group might have been) and flooding the neighborhoods
that the crips "controlled" with drugs, he should spend the rest of his natural life in prison and stop being upheld as a martyr-like figure. With all of the hardworking, decent, moral, ordinary-everyday, God fearing black men that have legal employment, take care of their loved ones, and make a POSITIVE impact in our communities, "Tookie" shouldn't be anyone's hero !

Much Peace ~

Williams Denied Clemency

SAN FRANCISCO - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger denied clemency to Stanley Tookie Williams, the former gang leader whose case stirred debate over capital punishment and the possibility of redemption on death row.

Williams, 51, is set to die by injection at San Quentin State Prison after midnight for murdering four people in two 1979 holdups.

Hollywood stars and death penalty opponents mounted a campaign to save his life, making him one of the nation's biggest death-row cause celebres in decades. His supporters argued that the founder of the murderous Crips gang had made amends during more than two decades in prison by writing a memoir and children's books about the dangers of gangs.

Prosecutors and victims' advocates contended Williams was undeserving of clemency from the governor because he did not own up to his crimes and refused to inform on fellow gang members. They also argued that the Crips gang that Williams co-founded in Los Angeles in 1971 is responsible for hundreds of deaths, many of them in battles with the rival Bloods for turf and control of the drug trade.

Williams stands to become the 12th California condemned inmate executed since lawmakers reinstated the death penalty in 1977 after a brief hiatus.

Williams was condemned in 1981 for gunning down a clerk in a convenience store holdup and a mother, father and daughter in a motel robbery weeks later. Williams claimed he was innocent.

The last time a California governor granted clemency was in 1967, when Ronald Reagan spared a mentally infirm killer.

Less than 12 hours before the execution was set to take place, the 9th U.S. Circuit of Appeals said it would not intervene because, among other things, there was no "clear and convincing evidence of actual innocence."

In his last-ditch appeal, Williams claimed that he should have been allowed to argue at his trial that someone else killed one of the four victims, and that shoddy forensics connected him to the other killings.

Williams was convicted of killing Yen-I Yang, 76, Tsai-Shai Chen Yang, 63, and Yu-Chin Yang Lin, 43, at a Los Angeles motel the family owned, and Albert Owens, 26, a 7-Eleven clerk gunned down in Whittier.

Among the celebrities who took up Williams' cause were Jamie Foxx, who played the gang leader in a cable movie about Williams; rapper Snoop Dogg, himself a former Crip; Sister Helen Prejean, the nun depicted in "Dead Man Walking"; Bianca Jagger; and former "M A S H" star Mike Farrell. During Williams' 24 years on death row, a Swiss legislator, college professors and others nominated him for the Nobel Prizes in peace and literature.

"If Stanley Williams does not merit clemency," defense attorney Peter Fleming Jr. asked, "what meaning does clemency retain in this state?"

The impending execution resulted in feverish preparations over the weekend by those on both sides of the debate, with the California Highway Patrol planning to tighten security outside the prison, where hundreds of protesters were expected.

A group of about three dozen death penalty protesters were joined by the Rev. Jesse Jackson as they marched across the Golden Gate Bridge after dawn Monday en route to the gates of San Quentin, where they were expected to rally with hundreds of people.

At least publicly, the person apparently least occupied with his fate seemed to be Williams himself.

"Me fearing what I'm facing, what possible good is it going to do for me? How is that going to benefit me?" Williams said in a recent interview. "If it's my time to be executed, what's all the ranting and raving going to do?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051212...tdYHaKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

:heart:

Destee

Destee said:

Great, now this man becomes a martyr on the scale of, say, Malcolm X???

I have to admit that I was major turned off by the cat, and his history... The children's books are wonderful... The attempts to turn around gangbangers a grand turnabout for him... But his devaluation of Black life preceeded all of that, and I just cannot forgive that... I cannot forgive no white boys for dragging James Byrd to death down a country road, I cannot forgive Stanley Williams for starting a gang that has probably taken the lives of thousands of brothers over the years, and continues to do so despite his BEST efforts...

But...death by lethal injection says a lot about this society, how damned coldly vengeful, callously ruthless, and judgemental it is of others... How cowardly it is in judging its own murdering self, slaughtering people of color at home, and thousands of miles away...

Peace!
Isaiah

actually, quite likely

both of them, as are all of us, are/were products of a cultural shaping program so effective that even in the midst of an intentionally created "hey!! where'd it go?!! (i could use the boost right now!!)" Black Family space, we can "set aside" the notion of "Family" and look at them as "thugs", and "gang members" and "addicts" and such instead of "brother", "cousin", "sister", "mother", "uncle". some kind of way; "they" got us twisted up like this and it truly hurts to see. hurts even worse because i can't figure out how to say what i'm trying to say clearly enough to make enough sense out of it to suggest an "action plan" to get out of it ...

yeah; he started a gang. it was prolly, sadly, about the closest thing to "Family" these young people got! even if it is a "bad Family" it is still "Family" and we all want some ... sadly, sometimes: where ever we can get it.

Isaiah said:
Great, now this man becomes a martyr on the scale of, say, Malcolm X???

I have to admit that I was major turned off by the cat, and his history... The children's books are wonderful... The attempts to turn around gangbangers a grand turnabout for him... But his devaluation of Black life preceeded all of that, and I just cannot forgive that... I cannot forgive no white boys for dragging James Byrd to death down a country road, I cannot forgive Stanley Williams for starting a gang that has probably taken the lives of thousands of brothers over the years, and continues to do so despite his BEST efforts...

Peace!
Isaiah

Akilah said:
With all of the hardworking, decent, moral, ordinary-everyday, God fearing black men that have legal employment, take care of their loved ones, and make a POSITIVE impact in our communities
and with all that wonderfulness; look where we are?

it works wonders if one can manage to turn a portion of a group of people against another portion of itself if you want to keep those people from ever getting up on their feet and doing it for themselves!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back