Black People : Save Stanley "Tookie" Williams!

Will you make a call or send a fax?

• Call Gov. Arnald Swartzinegger's office?

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Fax a letter to Gov. Arnald Swartzinegger's office?

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tookie has been punished. What do you call nearly 25 years in San Quentin, with much of that time in solidary confinement? If you are correct and Big Took did confess to "killing at least 6" then I for sure would rather see him spend a life of community service, working on gang intervention and mentoring young Brothers to choose another way. As brother Isaiah stated, I also am against the death penalty for moral grounds. Black men in amerikkka are in a state of perpetual war. I wonder how many people who are quick to condemn this brother, and he is our brother, have actually lived in conditions where gang violence is all around you. Tookie has written about the conditions which led to the formation of the CRIPS. In the movie "Redemption" this is explained as well. There were gangs before the CRIPS....Slausons, Businessmen, Gladiators, Bishop, Outlaws and Aves, to name a few. What people dont realize is that every one who is a CRIPS founder has given testimony concerning their founding being an effort to "protect our communities". Just like the Panthers, police infiltrated and set eastside against westside and the danger in the CRIPS was that Big Took and Ray-Ray brought these two sides together. The police targeted these brothers just like they targeted the Panthers. Their response to the system was "CRIPS don't die, we multiply". I don't condone gang violence or drug peddling. At the same time, having been there, what would any of you folks do if a group of folks rolled into your neighborhoods and started muscling old folks out of their homes and started peddling on your blocks. What if they started jacking your kids of their lunch money on their way to school, and jacked them of their shoes and clothes on their way home? Would you arm yourselves and retaliate? Think about it!

[
quote=Those who support Tookie should do it by wire and through the legal process instead of making a public spectacle.
I don't think he should be executed either, but I'm not gonna make it a cornerstone of the Civil Rights issue.

Hell, there have been many PROVEN INNOCENT Black men who were executed without that much support.
[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

This is my take on it...

First of all, I am completely against the death penalty for a couple of reasons; the first one being that the death penalty is racist. African Americans make of 12% of the population, yet 42% of death row inmates. Secondly, the death penalty does not deter crime. It does however punish the poor, and in some cases condemn the innocent to die. On top of all that, it’s just cruel and unusual punishment.

I’m not saying that Tookie Williams is guiltless. I’m not even saying that he shouldn’t be punished for the crimes he committed (and by the way, his LIFE sentence with no chance for parole seems like punishment to me). But this is the bottom line. Killing Stanley Williams isn’t going to bring the people he murdered back to life. But keeping him alive may allow him the opportunity to continue steer inner city youth away from gang violence. It’s a problem, I might add, that he helped to create. So it only seems fitting that he spends the rest of his life trying to eradicate gang violence. He can’t do that from a grave.

Just my opinion.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back