Black People : Save Stanley "Tookie" Williams!

Will you make a call or send a fax?

• Call Gov. Arnald Swartzinegger's office?

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Fax a letter to Gov. Arnald Swartzinegger's office?

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mississippi Red

For instance my first cousin Terry Williams killed a good friend of mine John West ( God rest his soul) in cold blooded premeditated fashion...(he went to my man's work and killed him) and is serving life in Parchman Farm now if the state sentenced him to death instead of life in prison and in the time between sentencing Terry reformed , started helping folk, trying to show kids that his way wasn't the way and from all obvious indications became a better man ( which my cousin did not he's still a funky cat) but I love him to death right or wrong ..would my cousin deserve to live? yes....no....maybe.. .....I don't know the answer to that question..but I would understand regardless of how the chips fell........and as such if old boy is killed next week I'll understand why and if not and he's allowed to live I'll understand why.....
This speaks to another problem.

Why are people sentenced to death given SO LONG a time to live?

I believe a person should only be sentenced to death after they are proven WITHOUT DOUBT to be guilty of murder.
But when that judgement is pronounced....it should be carried out relatively quick.

I don't mean in 10 minutes, they could have a week or a month just incase something comes up.

But hell, you don't let somebody sit up for 20 years getting fat and reforming themselves, just to show up one day smiling and jangling keys at them saying "Time to go buddy boy".

Not only is that mentally cruel, but it's UNUSUAL because historicly most death sentences were carried out immediately.

Omowale

I have an "associate" who has been in Death Row (San Quentin) for almost as long as Tookie Williams. His name is Eric Kimble.

Eric's brother is one of my childhood friends who now owns a computer manufacturing company in Stockton, California. I lost contact with Larry a few years ago but ran into another brother a few months ago. I didn't ask about Eric so I figured he is still alive and awaiting execution. I do believe it is not only cruel and unusual punishment to keep a death sentence hanging over these brothers for so many years, but view it really as a form of torturing their parents and other family members who get no closure. I, for one, am not in support of the death penalty, except in the case of rapists and convicted sex offenders. I know this is probably a politically incorrect postion to take but it's just my personal opinion. Murderers have proven they can be rehabilitated and turn their lives around. Child molestors and rapists, thats an entirely different animal.
We know the modern criminal justice system isn't designed to reform or even correct people.
Only to "warehouse" Black men and remove them from the community.

Once they get in many of these prisons they can do what they want to eachother. Free to be a fool, as long as they're off the street and no longer pose a threat to authority.

I heard that people on Death Row are even "teased" often by being repeatedly told they will be executed next week or next month..then nothing happens.
Then when they stop bracing themselves for dying, the guards do it again and even use little props to make you think it's time.

This isn't justice in the least bit.

Therious said:
First of all tookie maintains his inocence. There is also more than enough evidence of unfair trial, jury stacking, and no one here witnessed the crime so who are we to say who is guilty or not.

I would like to quote a little of "Tookies" book for you and I would like for you to show me where he maintains his innocence.

In his book, Williams confesses to killing at least 6, including 2 innocent children in a drive-by shooting..but he was forced to turn to violence by racist oppressors, he says in his book......When his trial ended, Williams muttered to the prosecution team, "I'll get every one of you m -- -- -f -- -- -s."There was nothing peaceful or compassionate about the way Alvin Owen died. Owen was a teenage clerk at a 7-11 convenience store, shot twice in the back of the head -- execution-style -- as he lay unarmed on the floor during a hold-up. A witness testified that Williams mocked the gurgling sounds Owen made as he lay dying. "You should have heard the way he sounded when I shot him," the witness quoted Williams.This is the man that you would defend????

Even if he has repented of his transgression we can forgive him but that does not mean he should not be punished. He took many lives by his own hands and a too many to count by his deeds.....

indya said:
I would like to quote a little of "Tookies" book for you and I would like for you to show me where he maintains his innocence.

In his book, Williams confesses to killing at least 6, including 2 innocent children in a drive-by shooting..but he was forced to turn to violence by racist oppressors, he says in his book......When his trial ended, Williams muttered to the prosecution team, "I'll get every one of you m -- -- -f -- -- -s."There was nothing peaceful or compassionate about the way Alvin Owen died. Owen was a teenage clerk at a 7-11 convenience store, shot twice in the back of the head -- execution-style -- as he lay unarmed on the floor during a hold-up. A witness testified that Williams mocked the gurgling sounds Owen made as he lay dying. "You should have heard the way he sounded when I shot him," the witness quoted Williams.This is the man that you would defend????

Even if he has repented of his transgression we can forgive him but that does not mean he should not be punished. He took many lives by his own hands and a too many to count by his deeds.....

Sister Indya, that quote is clearly NOT from anything Stanley Williams wrote, himself, so why would you try to pass it off as 'quote from Tookies book?"

Why would you, also, ask us is "this the man you would defend?" I've read a few of these posts, and there seems a great deal of soul searching going on here - even ambivalence - about Stanley Tookie Williams case... In my humble opinion, brotherman aint no MUMIA, who was doing conscientious work before he was framed, and put on death row... I have issues with any brother who starts a deadly street gang, or peddles drugs in our community... Both are inexcusable, and I don't give two cents about how you've changed your life around...

Like brother Omowale, I don't believe in the death penalty on spiritual grounds... I believe in a higher power, and I don't believe that higher power gave us the right to KILL another human being... In fact, it has been said in some "sacred" texts that "vengeance is God's..." When we fix our minds to exact vengeance upon another human being by executing them, then we are, in essence saying, F you, God, I'm gone do my thing... Think about that... Because here many of us are Christians and Muslims, and say we subscribe to the tenets of OUR Holy books, but in the blinking eyes of our emotions, we will eschew all of those teachings to get our rocks off...

Well, that's interesting, because maybe Stanley acted out of his emotions years ago, when he did them 6 homicides??? Maybe, a few of those killings, brother was doing out of vengeance for some wrong committed against him, and his boys... SO, now it is THE PEOPLE's turn, huh??? We will do our little gangbang thang, put this cat 6 feet under, 'cause we pissed at him for killing one or more of our "members."

I've always said that judgement is a double-edged sword that swings forward for us, and backwards against us... In these death penalty cases, it almost always appears to me that society couches it's sins behind the people's consent, while it acts out the need for vengeance of a very small few gang members - usually the family, which actually comes and watches like a movie, the execution... Wow, how macabre, and unnatural it must be to sit and watch someone die, and not even hear the summonsing of your own humanity to save another dying human being... Whew, what an unholy thing to do...

Peace!
Isaiah

brother Isaiah,

I couldn't agree more!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back