Black Sports : Saturday 9 et/pt Lacy v Calzaghe ..Let's Go

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by MississippiRed, Mar 2, 2006.

1. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Look Who's Here on His Own Time
    by Michael Katz

LAS VEGAS (March 2, 2006) – "Tick, tock, tick, tock."

The sad echoes of a hopefully passed time came to mind as Jeff Lacy, in Manchester, England, said he has kept "all my clocks on Florida time" so that, when he meets Joe Calzaghe at 2 o'clock Sunday morning, local time, his body will think it's 10 P.M. in Tampa Bay.

I am aware of no part of Manchester resembling Tampa Bay, but then, as he said at 7 something o'clock in the morning, Sin City time, "this is a business trip, there's no time for sightseeing."

"Tick, tock, tick, tock." You had to be there, 25 years ago, or maybe it was better that you weren't, when Dennis Rappaport brought to Gerry Cooney's corner the mock alarm clock that was supposed to symbolize the end of Larry Holmes's reign. It was perhaps the most despicable fight since Jack Johnson-James Jeffries in terms of racist drivel.

The "alarm clock" was not part of the revulsion many of us felt. It remains just an innocent bystander to the Great White Hope crap that surrounded what should have been simply a dramatic and intriguing matchup of slugger vs. boxer, young vs. experienced, the kind of thing we have this Saturday – United States time – with the Showtime telecast of Lacy-Calzaghe.

And until I thought of Rappaport's alarm clock – and the gunshots at Caesars Palace, both sides being called in on the carpet and told to check their weapons, Ronald Reagan's minions putting in a telephone line to Cooney's dressing room in case he won the heavyweight title (denied by the White House, but reported to me by Nevada officials and in any case, there was no Presidential call to Holmes afterwards), the racism used by Don King and Rappaport to hype a fight that needed no hype.

And here we are, 25 years later, a fight between two undefeated super-middleweight champions from different countries, and there has been absolutely no mention, at least as far as I can discern, of the fact that it is another case of black vs. white in the ring. I am almost afraid to say, "Boys and girls, take a bow." We've come a long way, babies.

Slugger vs. boxer/puncher, young vs. experienced, Yank vs. Brit, but "tick, tock, tick, tock," there is no alarming racist bent to what is a much anticipated battle. It's another reason to love this fight.

And remaining on Florida time, which sounds like a good idea (okay, remaining on his local time didn't help Kostya Tszyu against Ricky Hatton in Manchester, but Lacy is not 35 years old), seems like another reason to love Dan Birmingham, the "hot" young trainer of Lacy.

"Tick, tock, tick, tock." Lacy said Calzaghe's "days are numbered." He said the Welshman, from just down the tracks, is the one who is fighting at 2 o'clock in the morning, though Calzaghe has also changed his bio-clock and, like the American, is doing roadwork after midnight, which of course is about all there is to do in Manchester.

"There's a lot of down time," said Lacy, "but you don't want to be in my world right now."

He has kept to his hotel room to "focus" on the fight that should tell us whether the 2000 Olympian is truly a special talent, as I happen to believe. You have to have much talent, and courage, to go over to Calzaghe's backyard and face a guy who at 33 does not figure to be much over the hill and who, in his prime just a couple of minutes ago – "tick, tock, tick, tock’ – happened to be a pretty good fighter. It is still difficult to erase the memory of Lacy struggling with the rather ordinary Omar Sheika, but under Birmingham, his defense especially has improved in recent outings.

Gary Shaw, Lacy's promoter, encapsulated why Lacy's offense may make him special: "You don't get a chance to rest for a second. You throw a lot of punches, he's there. You move, he's there. And he's a lot faster than everybody sees."

He's also got the hunger. He said his favorite thing about boxing was hearing, “and STILL undefeated.” I think the announcer will be referring to Lacy in the wee small hours. "Tick, tock, tick, tock” – the left hook should go off about round nine.

Calzaghe is in for a ride this time.......Lacy is hungry and he has the skills and power to do this cat real bad and since he's been working with Dan B. his defense has improved a lot......I don't see this one going the distance ....I unlike the writer don't see it making to nine I'm thinking around rounds 6 or 7 this will be a done deal........
    Lets go boxing fans what yall think...

MississippiRed

2. Agent_Jack

Agent_Jack Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree. Calzaghe is not a slouch and a good tactician from a technical boxing perspective, but Lacy got next. He is the absolute truth. Real boxing skill, heart, showmanship,speed, stamina, KO POWER, and an improving defense like Bru Sip just said. I expect Lacy to separate Calzaghe's head from his shoulders in the 6th or 7th as well. Is this on Showime or PPV only?

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The fight is on Showtime at 9pm EST. I've been waiting for it for months, and expect Lacy to blowout Calzaghe on his homecourt!

4. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34

Dam Pan where you been bruh? ...You mean to tell me you don't think Calzaghe can whoop on Mr. Left Hook himself....? ( insert sacarsm).

Hey what do you think would happen if Lacy dropped weight and came down a division......? I know what I think would happen but I like other opinions......I know my Brother Panafrica is a big Jermaine Taylor Fan so he probably thinks JT would whoop up on Lacy after he beats the hell out of Winky Wright.......Panafrica don't put a hit out on me bruh I'm just playin with ya....if Lacy drops weight he's running ish.....he's so hungry and his style is so physical and aggressive I dont' think JT or Wink could deal with him..especially if they got a smallish ring.....
    Hey Agent.....welcome to the sports...errrr ummm my fault Boxing Forum....Hey Pan could we actually get a boxing forum..???? don't know if there are enough of us to handle it just wondering...I think I'm about to send Destee some cash...Holla at me Brother

MississippiRed
    Oh yeah again Lacy in 6 or 7

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think Lacy would dominate the middleweight division. Indeed I think Lacy dropping 8 lbs is JT's worse nightmare come true. No one at middleweight or supermiddle weight can handle his power, and he is getting better with each fight. I won't pick a round, but Lacy is definately leaving with his IBF title, and Calzaghe's WBO belt (also the Ring Magazine Championship). Also for the boxing fans, make sure you check out Bernard Hopkins' nephew tonight on ESPN2 Friday Night Fights. The boy has some skills.

6. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Should be a good one....styles make fights and neither one will be running.

Gotta give Lacy some credit, you didn't see Winky willing to set foot in Little Rock to get with JT....Lacy going clear across the pond where I'm sure he knows even with Showtime there he's giving it up if it goes to the scorecards.

7. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34

Yeah I think Lacy dropping down is a lot of them boys worse nightmare...good looking out on the Friday Night Fights I hadn't been keeping up I'll be sure to check old boy out........

Kemet you right bruh that takes some stones to do what Lacy's doing man..........

MississippiRed

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You know nothing that happens in boxing escapes my notice Red. Even if I don't see the fight, I know what happened.

9. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Whew man I haven't seen a brother getting beat down like this in a long time....

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    It was embarrasing!