Sara Baartman

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by atomicangel, Nov 20, 2005.

1. atomicangel

atomicangel Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    this is for all the curvaceous Black women, like myself, and also for all the Black people who appreciate a Black woman's curves. I'm posting this to raise an awareness of how curvaceous Black women in history were not celebrated but were seen as freaks of nature and used for entertainment and seen as inferior. this story really saddened me and it makes matters worse that i feel that she may have been an ancestor of mine.

LIVING HISTORY
    Sarah Baartman, at rest at last
    Lucille Davie

12 August 2002

Sarah Baartman, displayed as a freak because of her unusual physical features, has finally been laid to rest, 187 years after she left Cape Town for London. Her remains were buried on Women’s Day, 9 August 2002, in the area of her birth, the Gamtoos River Valley in the Eastern Cape.

Baartman was born in 1789. She was working as a slave in Cape Town when she was “discovered” by British ship’s doctor William Dunlop, who persuaded her to travel with him to England. We’ll never know what she had in mind when she stepped on board – of her own free will - a ship for London.

http://www.safrica.info/ess_info/sa_glance/history/saartjie.htm

this is another article exploring the story of Sara Baartman and also criticises Nelly's Apple Bottom campaign. It's worth reading the whole article. below is just a preview of it.

If you saw the original search for an Apple Bottom Girl on VH-1, that ran over 2-3 days then there is good chance that you noticed that this good idea turned into another act of exploitation. Where once again, 'sistas' are little more than the sum of their body parts. To watch as the cameras often cut off the upper torso of the "models" as they pirouetted on command, under the focused gaze of their almost exclusively male "booty inspectors" just didn't sit right with me. Some part of me just kept thinking, this doesn't belong on TV, at least not on this station, and at this early hour. But alas this is where "we" are, or at least where "we've" been taken. Nelly's national search and road tour, for a 19 -26 year old "big-butt" woman is basically the same type of exploitation that happened with another lesser known 20 year old Black woman named Sara Baartman, who was literally exploited to death. Sara was nicknamed Hottenot Venus. I doubt that Nelly knows her story since he does not even realize the meaning of his own name.

http://www.playahata.com/pages/papi/applebottom.htm

2. atomicangel

Ratings:
    +3
  3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Disgusting! One member here fells the French are more "liberal" than other white people. This is one of many stories I'd like him to read.

4. atomicangel

Ratings:
    +3
    THE FRENCH!!:censored: !! I think you're friend is very wrong. I actually believe that the French are just as bad as the Nazis (although I agree that it's obviously not all of them). You even have evidence of it with the race riots that happened in France recently.
    But I think that in this story, the British were just as bad.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Good Post, Atomic Angel! Somehow I knew it was you who brought this information to our attention(smile!) Call it intuition, if you will...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. atomicangel

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you Isaiah!!

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    It is a great post atomicangel! I'd love to know how sister Sarah Baartman was viewed in South Africa before she was "taken". I'm sure black men found her to be quite a beauty. Black men have always appreciated the unique form of a black woman, and we have always loved the "exaggeration" of every curve on her body.

8. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I remember reading about her a while back. It is so horrible what they did to her... treating a human being as a circus sideshow.

There is another situation of a pygmy who was showcased as a freak. They had him in a cage like he was an animal!

9. hotcocoa

hotcocoa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Panafrica--no offense, but how come everytime I'm skimming/reading through a conversation that you're involved in, you seem to be stereotyping another race? And never in a positive way. "Italian this," "The Spanish that," "The white like this," and now the French? Do you have something to say about EVERYBODY? Hate to tell ya this, but you don't have this right. Just cuz this is a black site and we're the majority doesn't mean we should be spreading racism amongst ourselves. The truth is, every race has something negative within it, but you don't have to make it seem like it's every person from that race. Most of the time stereotypes aren't even true.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I do not have the right to express my opinions? Wow! I haven't seen such arrogance in quite some time. I don't feel obligated to answer your questions hotcocoa since I do not know who you are, or what your purpose is. I will say this: Why did you come to a black website to defend other races? You see the tragic treatment of sister Sara Baartman, yet the only contribution you have to make is a criticism of my observation of the French? That say quite a lot! That you can skip over the mistreatment of one of your people (assuming you're black), and jump to the defense of her white abusers. Well if you are willing to overlook the mistreatment of blacks....if you have a stronger connection with others than you do your own....then you have discovered the difference between us. That being the case PanAfrica is not the only person on Destee.com you'll be disagreeing with. Indeed, this website is dedicated to blacks building with each other and teaching each other. We discuss many things including race and racism. If this is not your focus, then you don't have to participate!