OldSoul : Santa Claus - Dutch style ;)

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
as per your request during Wednesday's class - some pics of this great holiday in Holland:

Ninos Loas became St Nicholas (nike=win laos=people) was born in modern day Turkey - another person (saint) of colour tunned white:

No other holiday rivals that of SinterKlaas in Holland - when SinterKlaas arrives from Spain - bringing all his Black slaves with him. What fun! All the Blacks have the same name: Black Pete. History shows that St Nicholas had a favourite slave from Ethiopia - named Piter. Black Pete is Sinterklaas's "helper".. in addition, if your kids have been bad during the year, Black Pete will put them in a sack and carry them back to Spain. It is Black Petes job to entertain the crowds..

In recent years, with the growing popularity of the American Xmas (celebrated later in Dec) - and the growing unpopularity of the images of slavery - they have been changing the story behind Black Piet - now he is a chimney sweeper - thus the Black face - and other such nonsense..

It was the dutch brought the tradition of Santa to the USA - hmmm.. they also brought a whole lotta real Black Pete's.

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
sometimes I feel it is too.. bizaar.. to wrap my head around it. The Dutch were huge contributors to the slave trade, masters of apartheid, and for weeks every year, dress up likes saints and slaves..

yet.. say Holland and people think.. oohhh Amsterdam! ;) sex, drugs and rock-n-roll wins again.. hahaha

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Yes, it is hard to reconcile the idea of apartheid and racial brutality with the innocent images of the dutch we were exposed to at school. You know: wooden shoes, windmills, tulips, happy maidens yodeling across the mountains. and when someone says the Netherlands I can't help thinking of Neverland and peterpan. Very incongruous.

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
oh my word!!! SinterKlaas is in town!!!! only 3 more days before the big PARTY!!!

I better go get my black face on!

:em3000:

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Santa Claws

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍