Black People : Sang The Song as a Child

dunwiddat

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 17, 2012
I remember singing this song as a child in school ....but only realised later that it was the song of a slave longing to go back on the the plantation.

Carry Me back to Old Virginia
There' where the cotton, and the corn tatoes grow
There's where I laboured so hard for ole Massa
Day after day in the fields of yellow corn
No place on earth do I love more sincerely
Than old Virginia the State where I was born.

Never could understand why we sang it.:(

I remember singing this song as a child in school ....but only realised later that it was the song of a slave longing to go back on the the plantation.

Carry Me back to Old Virginia
There' where the cotton, and the corn tatoes grow
There's where I laboured so hard for ole Massa
Day after day in the fields of yellow corn
No place on earth do I love more sincerely
Than old Virginia the State where I was born.

Never could understand why we sang it.:(

That happens to be the state song of Virginia :( did you go to school there? It was written by James Carry Bland a black man who wrote for minstrel shows. I learned this from my old music teacher in college, it was quite shocking that it was the state song. Today nothing they do shocks me.

That happens to be the state song of Virginia :( did you go to school there? It was written by James Carry Bland a black man who wrote for minstrel shows. I learned this from my old music teacher in college, it was quite shocking that it was the state song. Today nothing they do shocks me.

I sang this song in Barbados I was about 8 or 9 years. We sang it in class..but never understood why since it is talking about Virginia in the USA.. strange isn't it:(

I sang this song in Barbados I was about 8 or 9 years. We sang it in class..but never understood why since it is talking about Virginia in the USA.. strange isn't it:(

yea probably some sick slave/master reference was your teacher white?

yea probably some sick slave/master reference was your teacher white?

No... we never had white teachers. Barbados is 90% black. During that time though whites were in charge of the banks most of the businesses. and the stores, supermarkets..ONLY the government was ruled by the blacks...and people were still working on the plantations. The whites were in charge of the economic activity.
Barbados is celebrating this year 50 years of free secondary education which is not a long time historically speaking. I believe this song was taken from an American music book. The interesting thing is that this song is one that I always found myself singing as a child. All my teachers were black. Could never understand the reason though.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back