Black People : Sang The Song as a Child

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dunwiddat, Oct 13, 2012.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    I remember singing this song as a child in school ....but only realised later that it was the song of a slave longing to go back on the the plantation.

Carry Me back to Old Virginia
    There' where the cotton, and the corn tatoes grow
    There's where I laboured so hard for ole Massa
    Day after day in the fields of yellow corn
    No place on earth do I love more sincerely
    Than old Virginia the State where I was born.

Never could understand why we sang it.:(

2. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    That happens to be the state song of Virginia :( did you go to school there? It was written by James Carry Bland a black man who wrote for minstrel shows. I learned this from my old music teacher in college, it was quite shocking that it was the state song. Today nothing they do shocks me.

3. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    I sang this song in Barbados I was about 8 or 9 years. We sang it in class..but never understood why since it is talking about Virginia in the USA.. strange isn't it:(

4. Each1teach1

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    yea probably some sick slave/master reference was your teacher white?

5. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    No... we never had white teachers. Barbados is 90% black. During that time though whites were in charge of the banks most of the businesses. and the stores, supermarkets..ONLY the government was ruled by the blacks...and people were still working on the plantations. The whites were in charge of the economic activity.
    Barbados is celebrating this year 50 years of free secondary education which is not a long time historically speaking. I believe this song was taken from an American music book. The interesting thing is that this song is one that I always found myself singing as a child. All my teachers were black. Could never understand the reason though.

6. Each1teach1

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    They were ignorant and just didnt bother to figure out that the song was racist or they just didnt care any other reason beats the hell outta me.

7. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Now that you made that statement, there were black principals of some of the secondary schools who REFUSED to allow working class children to attend their schools. (if their parents were maids or work on the plantation). Many parents had to send their children to the few black private schools that were in the island. I was one of those children. I have had this bitterness towards that principal from then till now. Sometimes my boys say, Mother it is time to let go. The sad thing she was a BLACK WOMAN.. Many girls were not able to attend that particular school because of her. At the time although the government was black it maintain the white status quo. The thing was if you were from a certain district you could not even sit the exam somewhere else. The top high schools were for the rich, and those blacks whose parents were either government workers or artisans. (But you know what, the teachers were blacks since most white folks were not that brilliant) (they were a few whites or mulllato who were very racist)but it made no difference .My mother COULD have been a teacher but she could not because her father worked on the plantation...Imagine that:mad: Only in the 60's did one astute and caring Politician Mr. Errol Barrow, a black lawyer who left England and entered politics decided it was time for all blacks to get a free secondary education. Not only that but he introduced FREE SCHOOL LUNCH FOR ALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CHILDREN.(the cost is $1.50. Barbdos dollars..less than 50 US cents. Is there any where in the world where you can get a balanced meal for less than 50 cents. I have always instilled in my three sons the value of a good education.. since it did not come easy (Sad to say some children are taking this free education for granted..just like children in the USA.) Things have really changed..thank God. Imagine the black politicians and the few white ones who were in power when blacks were denied free secondary education said, they would bore holes in the pots if they got into power. Imagine that..:( they are now trying to regain power after losing the last election...I believe their philosophy has not changed one bit. It is a party that you see most white folks gravitate towards...go figure.

.List of schools in Barbados - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sometimes blacks can be their worse enemies.

8. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Because of this MANY children only had an elementary education...and the children were not dumb either...JUST because of the sytem.. Many could have achieved so much more.:mad: They left elementary school at fourteen and either learn typing skills, shorthand, and accounts...or they ended up working in the homes of white folks or other menial jobs. I always maintain that for black folks...EDUCATION IS THE KEY