Vegetable - Fruit - Recipe : Samosas

Discussion in 'Food Discussion and Recipes' started by Bootzey, May 30, 2008.

1. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    This is my favorite recipe. This can serve as a complete meal, snack,travel food, whatever. Imagine who excited I was when I found that I could make these myself. It takes a long time to make but it’s worth it, and they keep well in the refrigerator. Please forgive me for my in exact measurements. I cook based on how I feel.

Your life will be easier if you have a deep fryer. I never tried to bake these so I don't know if it would work. This recipe will yield like 16 triangles.

Shell
    .5 cup Flour (Any kind will work. I like 50:50 white:wheat but that's me)
    Salt (no more than.25 teaspoon. You need some or the taste will be off, more than that will be salty)
    1 tablespoon of oil
    Cold water

Mix the 1st 3 ingredients together. Add water while mixing with fingers. Add just enough water to make a proper dough, then kneed a few times. Don’t overwork the dough. When it’s soft, powdery and no longer sticking to your fingers, allow it to rest. There is no yeast in it you won’t be looking for it to rise.

Filling
    The filling can be whatever your heart’s delight is, but this is my favorite…
    .5 cup frozen peas and carrots
    1 cup cooked French fries (Yes French fries! I used these in a jam one and now they are my favorite way to add potatoes)
    .25 cup diced onions
    Handful of dehydrated veggies
    Seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, curry, cayenne, garam marsala, cumin, celery seed)

Boil the frozen veggies and the onions until cooked. Throw in the dehydrated ones to if you are using them. Drain. Cook the fries in the oven (don’t fry them!) until done. When the fries are finished, mush them with a potato masher or anything you have to get them either to a mash or cut up in small pieces. Combine everything all together in an oiled skillet. I like the flavor that ghee imparts but olive oil work well to for the vegans. Stir and add in the seasonings until the flavor is where you want it. I like to over do seasonings because once you put it in the dough; it will lose some of it. Allow the mixture to cool before putting it in the shell.

Assembly….
    Cut the rested dough into 4 equal sections. Then cut those in 1/2.

Take a dough ball and roll it into a circle until it’s nearly see thru. (Cooks you know to have everything all floured up right?)

Take a pizza cutter (a knife works too) and cut your dough circle in ½

Take a brush (a spoon works too) and moisten the semi circle edge.

Bring the wet edges together and seal off the bottom. You should have a sealed funnel.

Hold the funnel in your non dominant hand and add the cooled filling to it. Don’t over fill!

Wet the inside edge of the of the flap and fold over gently

Inspect for any holes. Holes will cause it to explode while frying. If you have one, wet your fingers and try to pinch it closed. Otherwise, cut a piece of rolled out dough, dampen it and use it as a patch.

Dredge in some fresh flour so that they stay fresh while making the others

When finished assembling all the pies, deep fry.

Now eat them! I like mine with some duck sauce pilfered from the Chinese restaurants.

***If you wanted to make empanadas, or Jamaican patties, when you roll out the dough, just leave it in a circle, place the filling of from the middle, wet all the edges and closed the seams with a fork.

***I sometimes substitute the peas, potatoes, and carrots with lentils.

***Play with it. Make this recipe your own!

2. maf

maf On a marvelous journey. MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +72
    The store bought samosas are throwing me off so I'm going to try my hand at making them. Thank you for the recipe sister.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

What??? I love spinach samosa's...... I get mine from an Indian restaraunt in midtown. I have yet to make them myself, but i have a friend who says she has made them before.

When i'm not fasting, i can dip them in that creamy sauce it comes with and eat them all day. I don't care much for the cheese, or chicken samosa's though. Too spicey for my taste buds.