Black People : Sammy Sosa's new skin shade

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by CITIZEN, Nov 8, 2009.

1. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    http://www.examiner.com/x-17746-Phi...-Sammy-Sosa-stuns-many-with-his-new-skin-tone

In summary of the above article, former baseball player Sammy Sosa has undergone a "skin rejuvenation" procedure, and as a side effect, it has lightened his skin considerably. A quick Google search (sammy sosa bleached skin) will reveal that every nation on the planet is buzzing about this, from Canada to India to Korea.

The change in his skin tone and the new green contacts he has...smh. I know it is his life, his money, his body, but it sends the wrong message that people of color want to be as close to white as possible.

Someone once said that athletes don't always make the best role models. They may be right about that.

2. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    yeah saw this the other day.......sammy's brain is gone................

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    yeah...he's always been a tool....
    first roids now this...smh

one love
    khasm

4. decipherx1

decipherx1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +379
    Self -Hatred is a motha.:10500:

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    wow......Sammy say it ain't so !!!
    but he look bleached ! and bad

6. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    He is from the Dominican Republic.

Did he ever concider himself to be Black?

7. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Peace,

Clearly the love of slave master still hasn't lost any of it's potency.

Peace

8. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    Good point

He probably didn't consider himself Black and may have leaned towards being Latino/Hispanic/brown. Even if he did consider himself a person of color in the past, it would seem as though he is trying to obliterate all traces of it now.

9. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I have known single Dominican sisters on the job, as dark as you and me, that I have hit, on and the first thing they say is , they are not Black

10. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    I am married to a Dominican. I have lived there for a short time. I am an anthropologist, among other things. My first research project was in the D.R.
    I was looking at the economic epistemilogical construct of formal and informal economies. My goal was to show that this was a false dichotomy. anyways, another area that interested me was the construct of race in dominican society. I wrote a paper on the haitian influence on dominican spanish, and man, did i catch heat!
    To understand the dynamics of race in the D.R., you have to understand their history with their neighbors, the haitians, and their history regarding slavery - of course. Haiti and the D.R. have had two wars. Both were won by haiti and then after some time the spanish would help d.r. get the country back. so dominicans pretty much hate haitians. I have an old school book, history, from the d.r. in which it is explicitly written that the d.r. is a white country, and that there is no african blood in the country! At one time, the government instituted a whitening project in which at least a million "haitians" were slaughtered. In fact any one who was very dark was killed whether haitian or not. to this day, if you are born in d.r. but of haitian ancestry you are not considered dominican.
    Dominicans also fear haitians. many people will admonish you not to visit haiti because you will be turned into a zombie and worked like a donkey. many folks will tell you about a neighbor or someone who this happened to.
    back to the paper i wrote. In my research i found that only around 6,000 africans were imported into the D.R. Haiti was the recipient of around 6 million. However, it is obvious that there is a heavy african influence in the dominican population, so i went to show that the african blood in the d.r. didn't come straight from africa, but from haiti. I used linguistics to prove my point (besides the obvious numbers of africans in haiti). again, the dominicans i was working with (on the other project, an NGO) were not happy, to say the least.

However, much more so than in the U.S., money whitens. I had a friend who was black as coal but when she went to get her i.d., the guy put "india" (in the caribean we have several levels of color). when she protested that she wasn't india (she's a proud sista), but black (black black), the man still put india on her i.d. why? because she was educated and had money. so money whitens in a hurry. with this in mind, i don't see why sammy felt the need to whiten up. it really doesn't work that way over there. maybe it was for the U.S. that he did it. dominicans know that sammy is ignorant. skin color is only part of the equation. facial features are at least as important. For instance, the classification "india" refers to a woman with "good" hair, like a Taino native (indio), and "good" features, like thinner nose, thinner lips, etc. But they can be very dark skinned. that's o.k. so sammy should have gotten a nose job, if anything if he wanted to change classifications, not skin whitening.
    with this in mind we must re-evaluate our assumptions.