Black Sports : Sam "The Nigerian Nightmare" Peter vs. Taurus “The Bull” Sykes this saturday!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Jun 28, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This saturday on Showtime, the top heavyweight prospect, Samuel Peter will face Taurus Sykes. Sam Peter is the guy everyone is predicting to be the next champ, and to bring excitement back into the division. I've seen Peter fight several times, and the man has serious power. He is a little slow, but has been improving. I think this should be an exciting fight. If you have Showtime, check it out at 9:00!

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Thanks.

I've been hearing his name mentioned a lot lately. I'll make sure I catch this fight. The heavyweight division is shaping up with some relatively young cats trying to stake their claim.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't think Peter is ready for the title yet, but he is looking good. I'd disagree that there are a lot of young contenders though. Samuel Peter and Calvin Brock are the only ones worth mentioning at this time. Malcolm Tann who I thought might make some noise has absolutely no chin and 2000 Olympic Gold Metal winner, Audley Harrison is too old (33) and developing too slowly to make a serious shot at the title.

4. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I think Peter could definitely win the championship in a couple of years but he still needs to work on his overall skills.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Peter annihilates Sykes!

http://www.fightnews.com

6. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Yeah, he does need to develop his boxing skills. He fights more like a street fighter to me...even brawlers have some technique to their fighting.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think under a different trainer, Sam Peter would truly be a "Nigerian Nightmare"! He has all the talent in the world, but needs to display better boxing skill before he truly becomes a threat to the best boxers in heavyweight division. As it stands, I really don't see Sam beating any of the 4 heavyweight Champs: 1. (Vitali Klitschko)-too tall, without good head movement or defense, Vitali would pick Peter apart from the outside with his jab. 2. (Chris Byrd)-Byrd would have a field day making Peter miss with those wide punches. 3. (Lamon Brewster)-has to chin to take Peter's bombs, and stamina to outlast him. 4. (John Ruiz)-I give Peter the best chance here. Ruiz can be hurt & knocked out. Because of this, big punches always have a chance against Ruiz. However, Ruiz has the most difficulty against fast fighters. With slow fighters he is usually able to grap them, and turn the fight into a wrestling match. I see him doing this against Peter. The bottom line is that if his handling truly want to see Samuel Peter on top of the division, I think he needs new trainers: Emmanuel Stewart, Buddy McGirt, Floyd Mayweather Sr., Rodger Mayweather, Freddy Roach, Teddy Atlas, any of these guys would be better for Sam.

8. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I totally agree. After fighting a few rounds, he tends to get sloppy. He needs to be more discipline. Honestly, if things get heated in the ring, I believe he'll revert back to his street fighting style. I believe that comes to him more naturally.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Peter also needs to face harder opposition, and this stage in his career Taurus Kykes can't do anything to help his improvement.