Pan Africanism : SA proposes quicker land reform

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Jul 27, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4720023.stm

2. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Markets are artificial constructs. If the White South African minority still hold the majority of land and wealth in the country, that is not going to magically disappear.

What South Africa should be considering is a programme for Black wealth increase. Distributing land, worker rights, industrial and market policy into the hands of a Black working class. Wealth is part and parcel of the wealth level of a given class.

For example, let's say the major economic imperative of the poor is health services. What is the fastest, most effective way of getting the poor to control a labour agreement to get health services to the poor. So now poor people are working, they are getting health services, and they have a mechanism by which to control the economic future. And when the government gives land over to these neighbourhoods, they have the economic means to buy and sustain the land.

-- tim

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    They should take the land and give it to the original owners, why negotiate with your enemey?

4. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    South Africa should be carefull how they proceed if they don't want to end up with the same problems Zimbabwe is now facing.

Zimbabwe is having difficulty feeding the people in the country since most of the land isn't being used. Having the land more equitably split up is a good idea, but the gov. shouldn't cut of it's nose to spite it's face, since they still have a nation to feed and take care of.

The country has lost millions is tobacco revenue because of the way they handled the land reform.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4746339.stm
    Following a failed harvest, Zimbabwe is suffering food shortages.

It has been short of foreign currency for imports such as fuel for several years.

Mr Mugabe's critics say his seizure of white-owned land have wrecked the country's agriculture-based economy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4567391.stm
    Hundreds of people have been resettled on the farms surrounding Lewis, most of them illegally.

They often have little business knowledge of farming and few assets.

Lewis lends tractors, ploughs fields and even provides basic lessons in agronomy.

But in spite of all the assistance he provides, Lewis thinks some of his neighbours want to bring him down.

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    lol.... just stop already. Mugabe is an opressive leader, white people deserv nothing in africa.you really do need your head checked huh? I could responsd to any number of your self hating white propaganda like eryone does on this site, but really your just a joke these days. Why dont you go join the young black repulicans or something.

6. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I didn't say anything about white people deserving anything in Africa. I said South Africa needs to avoid the problems with food shortages that Zimbawe is now facing. They need to go slowly so they don't end up with no one growing cash and food crops.

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I am always leery of your motives, but If i miss took your point i do apologize. However i do believe with a scrupulous leader unlike mugabe the country would be much better off.

i think a good system could be if the government takes back ther land them redistributes in a democratic way to africans only. As far as business and agricultural skills i believe that is an overrated and racist p.o.v. How long have humans been growing crops? Just find those who possess farming knowledge, and let them teach those who dont.