Black People : S.African actors ‘want Hudson out of Mandela film’ (AFP)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by hartwell, Dec 8, 2009.

1. hartwell

hartwell Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +252
    Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson has come under attack from a South African actors' union after the American star was cast as the ex-wife of the country's former president Nelson Mandela in a new biopic.

The Dreamgirls actress is set to portray Winnie Mandela in South African filmmaker Darrell J. Roodt's new project Winnie, about the famous politician's longtime spouse.

Hudson was delighted to land the leading role, saying: "I was compelled and moved when I read the script. Winnie Mandela is a complex and extraordinary woman and I'm honoured to be the actress asked to portray her. This is a powerful part of history that should be told."

But Hudson's appointment has caused uproar among the members of the Creative Workers Union of South Africa, who insist a local actress should have been cast as the title character in a movie so important to the country's history.

The Union's secretary general, Oupa Lebogo, even goes as far as threatening to boycott the picture if Hudson's casting is not reconsidered.

Lebogo says, "This decision must be reversed, it must be stopped now. If the matter doesn't come up for a discussion, we will push for a moratorium to be placed on the film."

Protesters also argue Hudson's inclusion in the film project will hinder the country's development of its movie industry.

Union president Mabutho Sithole tells The Citizen newspaper, "It can't happen that we want to develop our own Hollywood and yet bring in imports." »

Report a problem

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    The siister is mature enough to realize they can't afford to have folks like Denzel play Stephen Biko anymore or her play Winnie, with a hard economy

and so many of thier own stars in need of work and the opportunity of international renown.

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I can agree with their opposition.

If India can do it with their movie industry, then so can S. Africa.

If J.K.Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series, could insist that only or mainly British actors be used in her movies, then so can S. Africa support and showcase its talent in film.

4. London

London Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    I cannot understand how they can be in an uproar about this. What about the general portray, the roles and direction for black South Africans as portrayed in the media considering the black African family in South Africa well into the future.

5. snugli360

snugli360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    SNUGLI360

This just goes to show in some ways how africa still yet has not embraced us as africans. This is racisim in it's finest that's like if a black person in the u.s. want to protest and say africans are taking over our homehealth jobs let a black american do that job.:10500:

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    It is a bit different, and the chedda to pay an Oscar winning Black actress for even a bit role let alone a leading one could be a couple of months salary for a top South African star.
    It's not hate, just economics, and creating opportunities in a nation that sees, Nigerian stars ascending internationaly and giving thier struggling people a chance to shine.

On the continent the movie stars live much lower then the bling life.

7. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

The producer of this film is Clint Eastwood. Morgan Freeman is the executive producer and he is starring in the film. Eastwood and Freeman are both Americans with Freeman being a black American and Eastwood being a white American. What are your thoughts about this subject now?

Astrologer4U

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    I think Clint Eastwood should change his race, he has the moneyy to do it

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Hmmmm.

Well, if this film is produced from/by an American movie company with American financial backing, then I can see how Jennifer Hudson gets a star role over an African actress.

I thought, at first, this was a S. African produced film.

Then, going outside of their country for the star role would have been a slap in the face of S. Africans.

But, I can still see understand why S. Africans would desire a native to play Winnie Mandela.

But, at least, even using Jennifer aint as bad as Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra. :cool:

10. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

Exactly... But I still understand them wanting a S.African to play Winnie Mandela. Morgan Freeman is already an American playing the role of Mandela, it is not like they are asking that all the star actors and actresses be S. African. They are just asking that a S.African star play Winnie. I think that out of respect, being that Mandela is a S.African story, they should compromise and allow a S.African to at least play Winnie. It would help in good foreign relations if a compromise was considered.

Astrologer4U