Black People : S Africa 'rape trap' condemned

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Anti-rape campaigners in South Africa are outraged about a new invention intended to catch rapists. The device, designed for a woman to insert, attaches itself to a rapist and has to be surgically removed.
Its inventor says this will help in the prosecution of the rapist. Critics say the invention represents a return to the days of the chastity belt. Some 1.5 million rapes occur in South Africa each year - one of the highest rates in the world. "This is a medieval instrument, based on male-hating notions and fundamentally misunderstands the nature of rape and violence against women in this society," said Charlene Smith, one of South Africa's most prominent campaigners against rape. "It is vengeful, horrible, and disgusting. The woman who invented this needs help."

'Something must be done'

The inventor of the device, Sonette Ehlers insisted she did not hate men.
"Something needs to be done, and women are crying out for me to go ahead," she told the BBC's World Today programme. Ms Ehlers has patented the tampon-sized device, and expects it to go on sale next month.
Lisa Vetten, of the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (CSVR) said it was "a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape by wearing these devices". Ms Ehlers's critics argue that it would be better to educate men not to rape in the first place, rather than just to catch them after the deed. But the inventor insisted: "I'm not an educator - I will go for those they can't educate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4080162.stm

I think rape is one of the most hideous crimes known to man. As a man who has a daughter, wife, and mother (all of whom I love dearly)....I fully support more aggressive methods to bring rapist to justice, as well as to prevent more rapes from occuring. However, this device has too much that could occur wrong. How exactly does it determine a woman is being raped? Could it tell the difference between rape and rough sex? I think further research and details need to be given!

panafrica said:
I think rape is one of the most hideous crimes known to man. As a man who has a daughter, wife, and mother (all of whom I love dearly)....I fully support more aggressive methods to bring rapist to justice, as well as to prevent more rapes from occuring. However, this device has too much that could occur wrong. How exactly does it determine a woman is being raped? Could it tell the difference between rape and rough sex? I think further research and details need to be given!

I am in agreement with you on almost everything, but after reading the article the device is inserted and removed by the woman so if she "chooses" to take someone home and have sex than she would be removing the "device" so there would be no problem with rough sex or any other type of sex....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back