Black Entertainment : Russell Simmons: A New Black Leader?

Pharaoh Jahil

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 2, 2003
Mother Earth
Occupation
College Student
some food for thought y'all:

www.allhiphop.com/editorial/?ID=132

Russell Simmons: A New Black Leader?
By Amadi Ajamu

The emergence of Hip Hop entrepreneur Russell Simmons as an establishment-endorsed political leader of the new generation of Blacks gives me pause. Being a member of this new generation, I think this should be put on the table for discussion.

Why have mainstream media's political pundits given Russell Simmons an open mic? He's a guest on Charlie Rose; he's become a constant feature in the New York Times, Newsweek Magazine and many other newspapers and magazine across the country. Hailed as among the one hundred most influential African Americans by Crain Magazine, can helicopter to Albany for private meetings with New York Governor George Pataki on the Rockefeller drug laws. He has organized fundraisers for senators Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer, works closely with former HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo, teams up with democratic presidential candidate Al Sharpton to register new voters, and dines with Shimon Peres, Israel's former Prime Minister discussing a possible Middle East youth summit.

Either the king makers have peeped Simmons' ability to use his influence over urban youth as leverage in his business and political ventures and they want to control him, or the severity of the US economic recession deems it time to send in the clowns.

Russell Simmons and his Hip Hop Summit Action Network have orchestrated several very high profile, massive political rallies in New York City, using his connections in the entertainment industry to get mega-stars like P. Diddy, Mariah Carey, 50 cent, LL Cool J, Jay Z and Alicia Keys to attend and draw thousands of Black youth. But it was painfully clear that the majority of youth in attendance were more interested in getting a glimpse of their favorite rap artist than in the city budget cuts in education or draconian drug sentencing laws that send many of our peers to prison for decades. Simmons and his star-studded entourage put on a good show but have yet to present a clear political program of action and vision for Black people.

< < edited by Destee > >

Pharaoh Jah ... thanks for sharing this article, but unless the owner gives permission for it to be posted here, it can't be here. This is one of our own Forum Rules. It's good that you provided a link to it, as it allows the Family to go to the source because i'm going to edit your post, removing the majority of the article. I will leave a few lines of it, but without permission, all of it cannot remain.

:heart:

Destee

(1) Russell Simmons is establishement endorsed. He made it clear several years ago that he realized the impact he had on young black youth by the role he played in hip hop and what kind of music he allowed to see airplay. he realized as a mature adult that it was equally important to empower poor youth, but also important to recognize that the money is now driving the message and there is a lopsided presentation of negative images. (or as Slick Rick said on a Def Jam recording, "ok we all sold drugs, we all know death, we all want money - what else you got to talk about?")

(2) Russell did what every capitalist turned politician does - he threw money around and used friends of friends to make his message clear "somebody is going to listen to me because i am rich and powerful damnit." and they did. luckily for us his work has been pretty positive up to this point.

(3) Russell also funds, not supports, FUNDS young black entreprenuerial programs as well. He is developing a comprehensive plan of action of how he, using all that testoterone rap money can make a positive impact. for once i, the eternal conspiracy theorist see a geniune effort on a rich man's part.

(4)Speaking of wealth. Its ironic that everyone wants, no one thinks anyone that has it is righteous, but that if "they" had "they would do right by it." very ironic. Just because Russell is rich and white folks are closing doors in his face doesnt mean his message isnt sincere. He is playing the game and well. And in the near future you may benefit from it.

Lastly i am glad to see you write "a black leader" and not "the black leader" - which would naive at best. Russell is "a black leader" for sure. whether we hate him before he does his best work is yet to be seen.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back