Black People : .....Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76

It was a plesure to have known Rubin and John. So much is said about Rubin that few ever speak about John Artis, who I considered to be the real hero in this episode. Why so? Because here was a young brother that went to prison for one reason and one reason only....because he wouldn't roll over on Rubin in order to keep his own behind free! Both of them were brilliant and stayed to themselves a lot in prison. Rubin was quiet and wore thicker glasses than the ones that you see in the pictures. He also walked with a cane and a slight limp...something the movies didn't portray. All the same, my hat goes off to both of them for being resiliant, courageous and most of all, for being black men. John could have at any time said; "later for this. I ain't spending my life in prison for being honest about what happened, and then turned on Rubin just to gain his freedom...but he didn't. Once again, both are worthy of honor and respect in the highest regard!

Carter continued his public speaking and advocacy and, in 2011, released the book Eye of the Hurricane: My Path from Darkness to Freedom.
"If I find a heaven after this life, I'll be quite surprised," he wrote in his letter to the New York Daily News. "In my own years on this planet, though, I lived in hell for the first 49 years, and have been in heaven for the past 28 years.
"To live in a world where truth matters and justice, however late, really happens, that world would be heaven enough for us all."

What beauty. What eloquence. What a man we lost. RIP Hurricane

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back