Black Sports : Roy Motivated again!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Sep 22, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EEkZFkkyAyQcEJJnjG.html

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i thought jones was fighting tarver soon. or os that a different jones?

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    He is fighting Tarver on October 1st.

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I just pray the Brotha doesn't get hurt.

When you've loved and have won in something for so long, you can lose something for it. It takes a great motivation to bring you back to that level where you were before. The prime example is Mike Tyson. Let's hope this isn't the same for Roy.

5. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a hard time rooting for one over the other one, I like the both. I still hope Roy don't embarrass himself.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this the fight i've been waiting on the big showdown between these two
    will mark an important piece of Roy's history but many say if Roy Jones Jr.
    go down to Tarver it will close the chapter and knock him from being one of the great
    fighters

I like both but i think Roy will steam roll Tarver this time with no mercy , Tarver to me
    have seem a bit cocky, Jones looks good and in full health he will come out hard and
    ready.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Emotionally I'm cheering for Roy to get revenge. However logically I can't go against Tarver. This it the 3rd fight not a rematch. Tarver gave Roy all he could handle in the 1st fight, then KO'd him with one punch in the rematch. Then Roy followed up that loss by getting KO'd again (the second time even more brutually) in his next fight. It is very difficult to come back after getting knocked out, even more so after getting knocked out twice in a row. Maybe the return of Roy's father will boost his confidence. However Roy's skills (his handspeed & reflexes) are what betrayed him in my opinion. That isn't a lack of confidence...that's age! Roy Jones Jr is 36 and not getting any younger. Although Tarver is the same age, he has only fought 1/3 of the time that Roy has (he began his career in 2000). The one weakness that Tarver has is that he sometimes underestimates opponents and doesn't train (he also fights in spurts). However he will always be up for Roy, because Roy is the reason he became a professional boxer. They fought as amateurs and when Tarver saw Roy's success as a pro, he wanted the same. Again I don't see Roy winning this one. He likes so many boxers didn't retire when he should have. When Roy won the heavyweight title against Ruiz, he said that was his last accomplishment. If that was true he should have hung them up then. That is the tragedy of the great boxer...no matter how much they win, and no matter how much money they make, they still want more. They keep fighting and fighting (while getting older & slower) until someone beats them. After the lose then they have to keep fighting because they don't want people's last memories of them to be a lost. Next thing they know they are washed up, can't beat even club fighters, and some even get brain damaged from the accumulated punishment. That is why I support mandatory retirement.

8. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    That's so true pan , but this fight i think Roy will put all on the line and bring all he know
    and learned from the past two knock outs while Tarver is younger faster up for the fight
    but i do think he have kinda underestimated what Roy can and will do , Roy will come in
    in very high spirited and ready with his Father by his side he will and can end his career
    with a very important win and he feel he have this to prove to say he a better boxer then
    Tarver....

I like both and see Tarver as a great fighter and winner but i lay my Cards on Roy Jones Jr.
    to take this final match up between these two , one thing for sure this will be a showcase
    to remember for both fighters , if Roy can come out with fire and desire use his skills and
    a flush of combos to off track Tarver he might take this one and he also seem to be the
    underdog this time and if Tarver come out to high and forget who Roy is he can be in for a
    rude awakening ......I give hats off to both fighters but my cards on Roy if i'm correct i don't
    see him getting KO this time but age will be the X-factor to me the speed his aggressive moves
    and how long can he stay fully active round by round this may well be Roy down fall with age.

But surely i look forward to this bout........And i'm in Roy's corner for the win at 36
    guess i'll get to see how badly i'm wrong or goodness i was right ! .........lol

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Unfortunately I won't be in town to see this one, but I am eager to see how the fight goes.

10. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Hey Pan i'll try to tape it for you or put it on DVD .......