Black Sports : Roy Jones Knocked Cold by Johnson!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Sep 26, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Roy Jones was knocked out (unconsious) by Glencoffe Johnson in the 9th round! Unlike the 2nd Tarver fight where Jones got caught by one punch in a fight I felt he was winning....Johnson completely dominated Roy!! :bam: Johnson bullied Roy, throwing him into the ropes, outworked him on the inside and outside. Johnson outjabbed Roy, threw better combinations, and for the most part out quicked him. This is by far the best win of Glencoffe's career. Bring on Glencoffe Johnson-Antonio Tarver....based on what I saw tonight....I'd have to take Johnson!

On a side note, I think this is the end of a great career for Roy Jones. I did not think he was done after the Tarver KO loss, because he only got hit with 1 shot. However after tonight, he clearly doesn't have it anymore. Roy's speed is gone, and with that missing his technical mistakes (which he always had, but his speed allowed him to get away with) make him too vulnerable to skilled boxers. This was like watching the 1st Holyfield-John Ruiz fight when it become obvious that Evander was no longer himself. I hope you don't follow Evander's lead Roy....call it quits, while your legacy is still intact!

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I have to agree with you Brother Pan Roy should hang up the gloves man it's done.....exactly right Tarver was a one punch knockout but Johnson was too busy and worked at the right distance from Roy....he never let Roy get distance to work his speed but it seemed as if Roy wasn't even trying to make distance....That ko from Tarver certainly had a bigger effect on Roy than I would have ever thought....it seemed in the Hopkins fight as if Hopkins got younger as the fight went on Roy on the other hand aged before our eyes. ...he didn't work off the jab didn't counter didn't move around he let Johnson put him in the ropes and was content to stay there all the while Johnson was a busy bee not punching pretty but them punches to the head and body add up and over Roy's lazy left that hard right is hard to beat......

Here's what I put on the other thread ...just cause I want my posts to be together... Goodnight Roy...hate to be the prophet of bad fortune but Glen Johnson Winner KO........Right hand over Roy Jr's ridiculously low left hand just like in the last post about the photos...Roy's bad habit of keeping that left low killed him that Tarver KO wrecked him..changed his fighting style forever I only hope Roy retires and focuses on Gamecocks now...Oh as a sidebar saw the Dhop de la hoya replay......B-Hop at 39 is a puredee man....fought his fight then actually called his round...before the 9th in his corner he was saying "this is my round" beautiful....appreciate B-Hop like we should appreciate Barry we're watching one of the best ever do his thing and right at 40 looks no worse for the wear...de la hoya on the other hand was tired and done after the 5th fighting with his mouth wide open......classic sign of a tired man in the ring....sad for Roy jr but tonight was one of the best fight nights I saw on HBO in a while....
    Back to the Gamecocks Roy your Daddy is a legend in that game may as well join him cause the boxing career is over ....Plus I don't want to feel like I did the night I saw Larry Holmes whoop Ali...hurt me to my soul man....

Mississippi Red

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    Roy who????????????????????

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    How soon we forget! Hopkins solidify his legacy, as Roy's is slipping! Let's just hope Hopkins knows when to quit, unlike most great fighters: Roy should have retired after the 1st Tarver fight; Holyfield should have retired after the 2nd Michael Moorer fight; Ali should have retired after the 3rd Frazier fight; Louis should have retired after the 1st Walcott fight; etc! Oh well, that is another topic, here is a link to the 1st article about the fight:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=1888952

P.S. Tonight was a night of upsets, Mark "too sharp" Johnson, one of the best featherweights of the last 10 years was also KO'd!

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    and i thought Roy would do better but i guess i had it all wrong to a point !!!
    time Roy Jones let it go ...........

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I would say I predict 8 out of 10 big fights, I am very rarely wrong about boxing predictions! However sometimes a knock out happens which is surprising: Antonio Tarver over Roy Jones, Hasim Rahman over Lennox Lewis, James Toney over Evander Holyfield, Ricardo Mayorga over Vernon Forrest, James Douglass over Mike Tyson, Iran Barkley over Thomas Hearns, Mike Mccallum over Donald Curry, etc. Although I do see some surprising KOs, and upsets, they are part of the sport (a large part of why I love boxing)! It is rare that I get sad seeing a fighter knocked out. Yesterday was one of those rare times. There was dignity in the Tarver KO, Roy got up at the count of 9, and arguably could have continued (although he still would have lost). However to see a great fighter laying on the canvas unmoving for 5 minutes is a sad sight to see! You had a great career Roy...I hope you hang it up!

7. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    When Roy was knocked out...(and his head bounced on the floor) my mouth fell open. He is a great fighter and I am a huge fan, but it's time for him to hang up his gloves before his glory is forgotten.

8. caramelpython

caramelpython Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +42
    This just goes to show you that not all fighters have what it takes to return from a Knock out punch. It was evident that Roy was fighting timid and that Johnson was on a mission! Johnson jumped on him from the begining of the 1st bell to the end Roy just looked scared to me. Tarver looked like he had a good time....LOL

9. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am too hurt because he is definitely one of my favorites. But I do recognize when it is time for a favorite to sit it on down. Roy needs to do so while his rep is still respectable.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Johnson made it look easy...that was the most aggressive I have ever seen him...and he was aggressive against the most dangerous fighter he had ever been in the ring with! Some athletes perform to the level of their competition...I would guess Glencoffer Johnson is one of those athletes!