Black Sports : Roy Jones, Jr. planning to return to the ring

Monetary said:
I saw the fight with Roy and Bernard. The fighter with the superior boxing skills was evident. I felt bad for Bernard.

I agree that if Roy can not beat Clinton convincing he may need to retire. Roy is about strategy when setting up his fights. He could play it either way. He may dominate Clinton to show that he is back. This will drum up some interest in a fight between him and Tarver or Johnson. Or, he may do just enough to beat Clinton and get the belt; not showing how strong he is. Then, when he fights Tarver or Johnson again, he'll bring out his new bag of tricks. This brotha is a strategist. Let's just pray that whatever he does he doesn't incur long term brain damage.

Very true brother Money, I also left out one important opponent from RJJ's list: John Ruiz, who is still a major player in the heavyweight division (unfortunately) after Roy Jones completely embarrased him.

jamesfrmphilly said:
what does it take to make a fighter retire and stay retired?
i think that strong positive attitude that enables them to climb in the ring works against them when it is time for it to be over.
there needs to be a twelve step program for old boxers.

You might be on to something there brother James. For the majority of boxers, a poor financial situation keeps them from retiring (or makes them comeback). However for some fighters like Evander Holyfield (who is worth $450 million) and Roy Jones...their egos seem to be a primary factor. They simply can't walk away from the ring unless they go out on top. The problem is if they truly wanted to go out on top, then they should have retired years ago. The inability to know when to hang up their gloves has plagued almost every great boxer since the sport's creation.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back