Black Entertainment : Roy Ayers

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by alyce, Feb 24, 2002.

1. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    Two words I neglected to mention in the music fest we were having down here....

But he is so special...his beauty and his skill on that vibraphone, that I had to pay tribute to him in a separate post.

I would be remiss if I didn't pay my respects to his predecessor and mentor, Lionel Hampton. In truth, it was through Lionel's music that I began to appreciate this kind of jazz.

In my humble opinion, Roy Ayers is the "master of the mallets".... I had the pleasure of seeing this man work his magic at several jazz spots in Los Angeles during the late 70s and 80s. His group "Ubiquity", are flawless in their artistry....and together, they provided me with many, many unforgettable evenings. The man made love to his instrument....he made love with his instrument. It was a thing of absolute sensuality to behold....almost too intimate to watch. (Lonnie Liston Smith had that same kind of thing going on in all his shows...hmmmmmm)

Roy's classic "Everybody Loves The Sunshine", which has been "sampled" by other artists...is still a favorite of mine. But he has many cuts that typify the mood and attitude of the time and the evolution of jazz and the marriage that took place between R&B/Funk/Jazz....giving birth to the singular fusion style that is still with us.

Just wanted to share...having a very, very mellow nostalgic afternoon y'all....

a

2. N2urSoul

N2urSoul Well-Known Member MEMBER

Director, Community Employment Strategies
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alyce

Who is this man....? I don't know him, and feel as though I must!! I would love to listen to someone playin' the vibraphone -- and then having it be as 'jazz music' ...... ooooooh weeeeeee.... that's sure sounds delightful to the ear!

Must seek out Roy Ayers!! :)

Thanks for the tip!!

N2

3. dbaraka

dbaraka Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Roy Ayers is an artist."EVERYBODY LOVES THE SUNSHINE'is my favorite,but I also like 'POO POO LA LA".

4. alyce

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    I like "Poo Poo...." too! Also very fond of "Searching"....

Sista N2... find the brotha... he's got a couple of sites on the net. You will not be disappointed in any way. :wink:

a

5. alyce

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yeeeeeah Sherri......tell it! :)

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Alyce indeed Roy is all dat i've listen to him many tymes before

7. SOULDEEP3

SOULDEEP3 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I LOVE THIS MULTI-TALENTED MUSICIAN/SINGER....FROM EVERYBODY LOVES THE SUNSHINE,TO RUNNING AWAY TO NO STRANGER TO LOVE TO SEARCHING,ETC.....AS OF LATE,HE'S EVEN ROCKED WITH ERYKAH BADU ON HER MAMA'S GUN ALBUM,WHICH WAS A LOVELY COLLABORATION OF OLD & NEW. A DEFINITE JAZZ ICON, ROY AYERS SHALL ALWAYS HAVE AIRPLAY AS LONG AS I LISTEN TO MUSIC.

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    no one has ever played the vibes like this brother...i've seen him in concert a couple of times also...my favorite cut is the third eye...also, don't sleep on the group that he produced back in the 70's RAMP...check em out, you won't be dissapointed...
    one love
    khasm