Room Just For The Brothers

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by kenyatta, Jan 27, 2004.

1. kenyatta

kenyatta Well-Known Member MEMBER

fork lift driver
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would like to know why the brothers on this site haven't proposed the idea of having their own room? I took the time to go into the room "Just For The Sisters" and to read their/your post. I found them very intresting and enlightening. Sometimes I found them to be very sad...but the point is that THEY WERE COMMUNICATIVE AND EXPRESSIVE. The site reflected emotions, thought processes, socialization, conditioning, insights, handicaps, solutions, perspectives, issues, hopes, fears, drama, trauma, and an entire demension of the need to communicate and heal with themselves.
    Personally speaking, I was somewhat ashamed. Ashamed because I know that we as men have as many issues as women do. Ashamed because I know that even if we won't admit it, we do have a need to communicate with each other as men...to heal as men...to grow as men and to understand that we suffer from the same fears, tears, drama, trauma, emotions, hopes and everything else as women do. Our conceptualization and process of how we handle and perceive the same issues may be different, but it doesn't negate their reality. So why is it MY BROTHERS, THAT WE DON'T HAVE OUR OWN ROOM??? I'll take post, private messages, e-mail or a kite on this one, cause I really need an answer

Luv Ya
    Keita Otiba Kenyatta

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Kenyatta ... oh my goodness, i owe you an apology! i thought you were a Sister and referred to you as such in response to a couple of your other posts! Please forgive.

My Brother Kenyatta ... to make a long story short, the suggestion of having a "Brother's Forum / Chat" has been presented but never manifested itself. Our Brothers here are more than welcome to have anything that we can give. I'll do this right away.

The Sisters in the Family have a "Sister Chat" every Tuesday night @ 8 pm ET, and if you're willing to guide and lead a Brother's Chat, it is more than welcome. You can pick any night, any time, that you'd like. Perhaps we can start a thread in the new "Brother's Forum" planning and discussing a Brother's Chat. We have enough Brothers on the Moderating Team to insure that only Brothers would be allowed to stay in the voice chat, if that is what you all would like. Currently, only Sisters can participate in Sister Chat.

Brother Kenyatta ... do you have a suggestion on what the forum description's text should be? This is the text that is displayed on the Forum Home Page. A title for the forum would be nice too, if you (or anyone) has suggestions for it. I'll go ahead and put up something until a more fitting title / description is presented.

I thank you for joining us and making this suggestion, it really is long overdue.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

3. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! The brothas are bout to do the thang...go head yall :D I am so proud of you kenyatta for bringing this out in the open :)
    Hope yall enjoy it all :)

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Welcome to Destee

First let me say. Welcome to Destee.. Kenyatta

I would like coming together. To discuss serious and pressing issues. I am a problem solver... by nature... never running, taking things on and never looking back, or regretting the solution or choice I made. We can talk about civil... rights...voting rights... and address issues that affect our race.

Like I don’t think a man any man... after he has spent his time in prison, and is on the streets ( " I mean paid his dues to society ..." ) should not have his voting rights reestablished... not nullified by a society that knows in the long ( run ) term this process works well for those in power doing wrong. It works against that man. He can't vote the major out of office that keeps making bad decisions that have a direct or indirect effect on his life. Citys allow business to increase their fees for general services and pass the cost on to us... we cant afford this run away train.. Small fees add up... we are subsidizing the elderly, and poor... without being told we are supporting a welfare system... even so... if I have to do this... then I want more fairness.. and more people benefiting... The companies get a tax break anyway... let them pick up the tab... like they should and get off our backs.

Taxes were not written for the working class. They were written for companies... so why are they putting the burden back on us? Cause our elected officials wimp out, and allow this... because we don't address it. Then the car insurance conglomerates... woe another issue... we are being taken... but I'll save that one for the forum...

I think a man should lose his right to vote unless he commits treason. A young car thief didn’t commit treason.

I don't know... but do white men, lose their right to vote after being in prison? Its a question to make you think.. now I want to know the answer.. so I'll look that up.

Still regardless... it is wrong. A man. Any man has to live. A man that has a record can't do that because society isn't a forgiving entity.

( the truth is they need to deprive as many as possible from participating in the democratic process.. I think we need more )

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree Hodee. The loss of Suffrage (voting) rights after imprisonment is a method to disenfranchise people. I have long suspected this is the true reason why so many Black people (men & women) are being imprisoned. With millions of us locked up, and subsequently losing the right to vote...the political power of the African American community is severely reduced. WEB Du Bois in his classic book "The Souls of Black Folk" identified over 100 years ago that black men were being sent to jail for minimal crimes so that they could be used for free labor (building roads, tunnels, bridges, clearing fields, etc). Therefore, the imprisonment of Black men for political purposes has been identified before. Those of us who can vote need to address politicians about this issue. In the meantime, all we can do is avoid lockup!

P.S. This subject, should be its own thread.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Sho nuff, Brother Pan!

I lived in Texas for some years and I remember how the, then Governor, Anne Richards worked to build more prisons in TX. ---During the preceding Administration, many violent felons had been released because of over-crowding. --So, TX needed to make more room for the prisoners it had AND make more room for the ones coming in.

That slogan "Don't Mess With Texas" wasn't just about trash on the highways.

It also meant, "Hey, Black man, Texas got somewhere to put cha!"

Cuz, when states build more prisons, they also need to FILL THEM UP.