Black People Politics : Romney family buys voting machines through Bain Capital investment

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by skuderjaymes, Nov 6, 2012.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  2. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    After watching this video, I'm reminded of this news report and without a doubt believe there is a link, although, their attempt failed:)

A digital voting machine in central Pennsylvania that apparently showed a voter highlighting the Romney-Ryan ticket Tuesday despite his choice of Obama-Biden was fixed and put back into service — but not before video of the malfunctioning machine went viral online.

YouTube user centralpavote posted the 18-second clip, which garnered more than 479,000 views throughout Election Day and had some commenters worried about the possibility of vote tampering.

“I initially selected Obama but Romney was highlighted,” the user wrote on YouTube. “I assumed it was being picky so I deselected Romney and tried Obama again, this time more carefully, and still got (Mitt) Romney. Being a software developer, I immediately went into troubleshoot mode.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election-2012/watch-voting-machine-penn-obama-vote-romney-article-1.1197783#ixzz2BW9F5wpC

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

From a technical standpoint here's what it means: it means that, no matter how well written and secure the actual voting software is, the results can still be interfered with via external calibration of the touchscreen. And that's huge problem.

And regarding the success/failure. Whose to say that the focus was on the selection of president? I think a smarter approach would be to use it on smaller scales.. the real control is at the state level and below. The power to alter.. even a city election.. is a tremendous amount of power. Leadership at the National level is overstated in it's impact on the lives of everyday people. Those machines are still out there.. their are likely to be more of them out there for the next congressional election.

the whole system needs to be revamped..

4. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    The coincidence of where and when the failure was is deafening to me. However, I agree with the nature of the beast of programming, there is no fail safe system, so we're left wide open, smh.