Black Entertainment : Robin Williams Dies at 63

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by KPITRL, Aug 11, 2014.

1. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    1. Actor Robin Williams passed away today. Cause of death was suicide. I'm a little stunned because I recently mentioned him in my thread on the death of James Garner. The thread included a racial skit he did with I believe Billy Crystal, not long after 9-11, which was very unlike the Robin Williams we knew. That may have been a sign right there, as the report says he suffered from severe depression.

As I said, I don't like talking about people who died, especially before they are even buried. I may have gone borderline in my post on the death of James Garner. Although the skit Robin Williams did could have been related to his death, I'll try not to go that route this time, especially since he was still fairly young.

I'll remember Robin Williams the most, not from "Mork and Mindy", but from a movie he did. My surviving sister had recommended the movie to help us cope with the sudden lost of our sister and our father, who we lost back to back in the same month, very early in 1998. The movie came out that same year, and the name of it was, "What Dreams May Come". It was a pretty deep movie about being very close to loved ones, then losing them. Robin Williams even died in that movie, and it show what death could be like during the time you leave your body and the place you go afterwards. Some found the movie offensive, as it went against their beliefs. One female co-worker told me the movie was stupid, knowing I just lost my sister and father back to back...then you wonder why things got so shook up since those days.

My father had manic depression. Although he didn't take his life, I saw what that type of severe depression can due to some people. If you know anyone with this, it's good that you be there for them if possible.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Shalai

Shalai Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +131
    I liked that movie what dreams may come. And I'm sad to hear that Robin died. Altho I don't believe he killed himself. And if he did I believe someone was manipulating him like they are alot of these stars. But I'm not going to get all conspiracy theorist on this thread. ;)

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    R.I.P.

4. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    manic depression / bipolar if thats what he had is a truely terrible thing and more than capable of drivin someone to suicide in the darker periods - at the same time it may have been resposible for the way his life path went - without the extreme ups he may never have become the famous actor / comedian he was

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I must have really been tuned out of social media, because I didn't even know this.

Hmmm, the earliest memory I have of Robin Williams is "Genie".

6. Dez K

Dez K Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I didn't know much about his personal life however, his job as a comedian was one of the best.
    R.I.P:angel1:

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i liked williams.
    i do not forget that he was a rich white man with every opportunity.
    in times like this i think black people need to remember what is up.

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Yeah, but... he's dead. What opportunity does he have now? So, what's the harm done in speaking about how one remembered him?

And weren't you just up in here talking about preferring Iggy Azalea to Beyonce? Isn't she white and still alive? Were you remembering what is up then, James? Hmmmm?:mad:

9. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    [​IMG]

Robin Williams played Eisenhower in "Lee Daniels, The Butler". What struck me most was the convincingly somber mood he portrayed thruout his short stint in the movie; especially since his roles usually --not always, have had a traditionally comic twist.

"Mrs. Doubtfire" has always been one of my favorite movies. The movie had a poignant message about separation and divorce. Now when eye watch that movie it will have an even more special meaning. Good Will Hunting was a movie that revealed another side of Robin's true talent as his interaction with Will allows him to come face to face with the loss of his wife...

RIP, Robin

10. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    Although I am unsympathetic with those which self terminate unless it was at mercy of a terminal illness... His body of work was great and will be missed