cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
Prisoner freed from jail after 41 unjust years
Court documents say man coerced into confessing
Associated Press

Published: Thursday, August 12, 2004
Updated: Friday, January 9, 2009

Robert Carroll Coney, 76, left, holds his wife´s hand outside the Angelina County Jail Tuesday in Lufkin, Texas. Coney was released after serving more than 40 years in prison.

LUFKIN, - A 76-year-old prisoner walked out of jail, a free man for the first time in 41 years, after a judge dismissed the conviction against him.
Robert Carroll Coney, convicted of a 1962 robbery, exhibited a surprising lack of bitterness as he left Angelina County Jail with his wife on Tuesday.
"I'm going to try to pick up the pieces," Coney told the Lufkin Daily News in Wednesday's editions. "If I was angry, what could I do about it?"

Coney said his identity had been confused with a man he had carpooled with through Lufkin on the day of the crime: March 7, 1962. Court documents state Coney falsely confessed to the crime after Angelina County deputies broke his hand, the Daily News reported.

State District Judge David Wilson, who dismissed Coney's charges, investigated the case and found that then-Angelina County Sheriff Leon Jones and his deputies used physical force to extract confessions, often crushing prisoners' fingers between jail cell bars.

When Wilson questioned Coney, the prisoner held up two twisted and bent fingers.

"I remember the sheriff well," Coney said.....(continued)"

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/state-local/prisoner-freed-from-jail-after-41-unjust-years-1.985230

Judge Wilson had one final recommendation: "I hope the petitioner hires a good screenwriter."
http://truthinjustice.org/Robert-Coney.htm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back