Ritalin - Is it okay?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by MsInterpret, May 14, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I was recently substituting in a special education class with Kindergartners and 1st grade students. Most of these children had ADD and ADHD. These kids were all over the place. But, when they had their medication they calmed down and became totally different kids, even manageable. The kids are great, but overly hyper and it's very hard to get them to pay attention when needed.

I was recently speaking with some other folks about how these kids need some kind of medication, but some disagreed and said they needed a good old spanking.

Spanking will NOT help these kids. Plus, being a teacher/instructor I cannot simply spank someone else kids.

I don't know much about Ritalin or these other ADHD medications out here, but I have heard of the dangers (but what medication now of days isn't)....

What is your take on Ritalin? Should kids be prescribed this in order to help them focus? Or is it too dangerous? And do you think all they need is a "good old fashioned spanking"? Or what?

Facts about Ritalin: http://www.drugs.com/ritalin.html

2. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    They are Kg and 1rst grade. This is what they are suppose to do, and it's nothing out of the ordinary. They do not have ADD and ADHD. They have 'this is what a child is suppose to do' syndrome, but we make the child conform to our standards of learning instead of finding ways of learning that incorporates that active nature. Children don't have long attention spans, and they are active - we need to better accommodate that in our learning processes but we don't. We don't know how. So we give them the drugs. I may add my 2 cents about the drugs later.

I don't think the kids need either.

3. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    There is a HUGE difference with these kids....They cannot pay attention and are hyper....

Other kids in the other classes can sit for long periods of time (whom are also the same age, same grades)

Some of these kids go into dazes and space out for minutes and you can wave your hand in their face, try talking to them and they are literally gone..Most of these kids have the mindset of a 3 year old...

Believe me...

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I don't agree at all that they need this wonder drug to slow them down but that's
    what they do to children .....I say it's harmful to other parts of the body while
    doing good in one area it's killin many other parts ........Danger Danger danger !!!!!

5. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    These kids needs tooooonnnssssss of patience...

I wonder if there is something natural

They say that these junks foods don't help...Like the ones with artificial coloring (i.e. yellow5) and caffeine.

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63833

6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

:nono:

Long term, no

:em0200:

7. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I stick with what I said in the first post. Are these kids fat or overweight? Do they get enough exercise outdoors? I read something long ago that sunlight has an effect on the way kids act... on whether they are hyper or not.

Let me see if I can find something on it....

OK, we got SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it might be informational...

http://www.holisticonline.com/hol_sad.htm

Sunlight and Hyperactive Children
    http://full-spectrum-lighting.com/durotest/Hyperactive Children.htm

Note the part in colored bold. Try having a class outside and see what the effects are.

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    No...I'm in Washington state...we get very little sunlight and lack vitamin D...no these kids are not over weight...

9. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    That daze mentioned prior could actually be a side effect experienced by children already taking Ritalin. I have seen the spacing out happen with a family member who was taking this med. We can google the term “ritalin zombie” for more info. This kind of makes me wonder if children that spend pockets of time in a daze are paying more attention and learning more in class than those that are hyperactive.

Ritalin is very close to cocaine in its chemical make up. The theory is that by giving stimulants to children who are already hyperactive, the stimulate has an opposite effect than it does in normal people. The stimulant actually slows the child down. The question then becomes what if this stimulant is given to people who are misdiagnosed with ADD?

More info…..

Misdiagnosis of ADHD is a common problem that complicates the Ritalin controversy. Some say that Ritalin is now over-prescribed, and that undesirable changes in the brain may result over time.

We know that Ritalin increases dopamine levels in the brain. But an unnecessary increase in dopamine during childhood may change how the brain develops. The brain may become desensitized to natural rewards like food, romance and social interactions, leading to depression.

ADHD children are typically taken off of Ritalin when they reach adulthood. Interestingly, these individuals seem to be more prone to cocaine addiction. Why is that? Because Ritalin and cocaine are similar drugs, it's possible that ADHD adults are unknowingly using cocaine as a replacement for Ritalin. In other words, it may be an attempt to self-medicate. Cocaine may help individuals with ADHD focus, feel calm and in control.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/issues/ritalin.html

Methylphenidate's (Ritalin) pharmacological effect on the central nervous system is almost identical to that of cocaine. Studies have shown that the two drugs are nearly indistinguishable when administered intravenously to cocaine addicts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate

10. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Dazing I meant more like distracted by other things...I wish I could video it to show you what I mean, but I cannot.

You can snap your fingers in this one girl's face all day and she is looking at a thousand other things...Completely on ignore...She's spacey or anything...