Black People : Rising Gasoline Prices hit Poor Hardest

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Has anyone seen the commercial asking people whether they could live without their cars and a sister responds, no way that she could ever not have her car. What about you, could you live without a car or at least drive it less frequently during the week?

Now with the national average price of gas at around $2.85 per gallon, and getting higher, has this caused you to make a change in your lifestyle when it comes to transportation or do you simply complain about it, shrug it off and pull up to the next gas pump and fill it up?

Recent government and industry data show that America’s consumption of gasoline is not rising as rapidly as it was this time last year, and analysts say families living on fixed or modest incomes usually are the first to cut back. If prices continue to rise, other demographic groups expected to trim their gasoline consumption are young adults, who tend to have less pocket change than their elders, and people living in rural parts of Texas and Wyoming, where long drives are a routine part of life.

If there is going to be any significant decline in energy prices this year, “it is going to start with softening demand,” said Peter Beutel, president of Cameron Hanover Inc., an energy market advisory firm based in New Canaan, Conn.

I'm not an economist, but do you ever wonder whether we, as conscious Black people, may be contributing to the polarization of poor Black people based because we choose to continue to accept the ever increasing cost of goods and services because some of us may be able to afford to pay regardless?

Maybe the more we accept it and not protest against it, causes the gap between the poor and the rich to widen. As this gap gets wider and wider, who knows, those of us who are fortunate to still have jobs may become the "new" working poor.

What do you think?

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12424523/

Excellent Post Queenie

NNQueen said:
Has anyone seen the commercial asking people whether they could live without their cars and a sister responds, no way that she could ever not have her car. What about you, could you live without a car or at least drive it less frequently during the week?

Now with the national average price of gas at around $2.85 per gallon, and getting higher, has this caused you to make a change in your lifestyle when it comes to transportation or do you simply complain about it, shrug it off and pull up to the next gas pump and fill it up?

I'm not an economist, but do you ever wonder whether we, as conscious Black people, may be contributing to the polarization of poor Black people based because we choose to continue to accept the ever increasing cost of goods and services because some of us may be able to afford to pay regardless?

Maybe the more we accept it and not protest against it, causes the gap between the poor and the rich to widen. As this gap gets wider and wider, who knows, those of us who are fortunate to still have jobs may become the "new" working poor.

What do you think?

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12424523/

Brotha Zay and I were just speaking on this last week. Living without a car; I couldn't do it... B/c I live, work, play in an area where public transportation is not that functional. It runs to around eleven and only goes through the heart of the city. Cab fare would kill me. I think it's prolly easier if you live in a place where transit is on a grander scale. Even in Atlanta Marta stops running at midnight.. last I heard it did... and like I said will only go so far.

My children and I take 'nice' family vacation and a few small weekend getaways to 'driveable' distances. Well we did last year. We've only taken one thus far as opposed to our usual three by now. We will prolly only take one more. In the past we visited family on Sunday after church. Yesterday I just made a few calls. We're not poor. We do okay for ourselves; however, we certainly cannot afford the rise in gas. For instance... a neighborhood gas station closed down last year during Feb... and the signs have remained the same.. it says Prem 1.47... I mean gas is at least 1.20 more ONE YEAR LATER... gas is going up but where is the compensation in pay... houses are going up... but first time homebuyers are on a lull... the economy is in trouble and i don't know what to do... i'm the queen of writing a congressman... or talking it over representatives that i am familiar with but it doesn't help...

the other week on cbs sunday morning... i think... they were talking about some midwest or west oil companies that are thriving due to the gas/oil prices and how the company can now offer benefits and hired a new employees... and normally i would be cheerful about.. but all i think is companies are coming up when the common man is struggling. A friend of mine owns a few gas stations... he charges about 50 more a gallon than he pays... i know he's not getting rich.. he still has to run the stores...

but to be short queenie... gas is not stopping my hustle... BUT... it sure the heck is puttin kinks all in my plans...

I remember before the 'war', gasoline was no more than $1.50 a gallon, now we're sitting here dishing out $3.35 for grade 87. SMH. I even heard on the news that Californians can expect to pay $5.00 plus per gallon this summer. At that rate, It's better to go on and get a monthly bus pass @$80; which would be tough since the busses quit running at 8:00pm on average. I've certainly learned to do everything in one trip. I have a gas guzzler......19mpg/22fwy. No more 'cruising around' when the weather's nice:(. I do a lot of traveling, but I guess it's time to grind a little harder to get the things we all want. Talk about cashing in pennies and scavenging for change under your sofa cushion!! Now I see the importance in purchasing a gas card while prices are low. A 10 or 20 cents mark-up won't kill me, but a $1.50 hike within a matter of days?!?! Gimme a break

This is not about gas prices but something you (IFUC) wrote reminded me of what I saw on the news this morning. The average cost of housing increased 14% last year while the average income increase was approximately 4%. This was mentioned in reference to the fact that some mortgage lenders are trying to make it possible (not necessarily affordable) for people to purchase homes. They are now offering the 50-year mortgage which makes the monthly payment lower, but in the long run, you wind up with a lot more house than you can afford. You do build equity but you're mostly paying interest as equity builds a lot slower.The example given was based on a $100,000 mortgage at 6.75% (I believe it was that rate) interest for 50 years, the buyer will pay close to $292,000 in interest alone. In other words....BAD BUY!

Well, so far I'm able to afford to buy gas, even at $2.85 per gallon, but I certainly don't drive around as much either.

I don't know by what standard is being used to define "poor" these days but some days I feel like it. What's the poverty level in this country anyway? Anyone know?

NNQueen said:
This is not about gas prices but something you (IFUC) wrote reminded me of what I saw on the news this morning. The average cost of housing increased 14% last year while the average income increase was approximately 4%. This was mentioned in reference to the fact that some mortgage lenders are trying to make it possible (not necessarily affordable) for people to purchase homes. They are now offering the 50-year mortgage which makes the monthly payment lower, but in the long run, you wind up with a lot more house than you can afford. You do build equity but you're mostly paying interest as equity builds a lot slower.The example given was based on a $100,000 mortgage at 6.75% (I believe it was that rate) interest for 50 years, the buyer will pay close to $292,000 in interest alone. In other words....BAD BUY!

Well, so far I'm able to afford to buy gas, even at $2.85 per gallon, but I certainly don't drive around as much either.

I don't know by what standard is being used to define "poor" these days but some days I feel like it. What's the poverty level in this country anyway? Anyone know?

yes... i saw that on the 50 year morgage... and i all i thought was, "JESUS!" That interview on CBS This Morning is what i saw that homebuyer issue on... it seems crazy that people are so set in buying a home... me included.. that they would ignore all logic and buy a house with a fifty year morgage... and i think it mentioned something about people using the morgage in order to buy houses that they couldn't neccessarily afford on a 15,20,25,30 year morgage...

i don't know about ya'll but i don't want to still pay a house note at 70 plus... that's just ridiculous... who wants to use retirement and social security on a morgage... and what are the ramifications if.. like some people... you have to refinance... i mean... this is serious business...

anyhoo... back on the topic... i also saw on msnbc.. i think.. .where companies are selling gas cards that you can lock the current rate in per gal... so if you buy 100 buck gas card at 2.85/gal then that is what you pay now matter when you use the card and it's good for a year... which i don't know if that'll work... b/c most of us are hoping the dang price will go down.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back