Black Entertainment : Righting a Past Wrong? Academy to Present Spike Lee with Honorary Oscar

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Liberty, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    By Tambay A. Obenson |
    August 27, 2015 at 5:33PM

[​IMG]

It may come as a surprise to some that Spike Lee, despite a 30-year-long career as a filmmaker, and over 20 feature films, has never won an Academy Award (unless you count the Student Academy Award he received in 1983 for his NYU thesis film, "Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads).

Since then, he's been nominated twice: in 1990, for Best Screenplay, for "Do the Right Thing" (also Danny Aiello was nominated for Best Supporting Actor); and in 1998 for Best Documentary, for "4 Little Girls." That's it! And he didn't win either one, despite arguments that can be (and have been) made for a small handful of other films he wrote and directed that were deserving (notably, that "Do the Right Thing" wasn't even nominated for Best Director or Best Picture, was a surprise and disappointment to many).

Will Spike Lee ever win an Academy Award? Time will tell; although, at 57 years old, time isn't exactly on his side. However, a masterpiece could always be around the corner.

For more info:
    See The Shadow and Act

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    i would not accept it.....

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Thanks for the heads up Liberty. Here's something from the same article that I did not know:

Spike joins a growing list of other talents who have never been recognized by Oscar for individual performances, and were later given Honorary Awards - James Earl Jones being one of them (nominated for Best Actor in 1970 for "The Great White Hope" but didn't win; and in 2012, a long 42 years later, was celebrated with an Honorary Award).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowan...resent-spike-lee-with-honorary-oscar-20150827

4. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    Good thinking!

What little I know of Spike, I'd bet he'll probably agree with you. One of the most memorable evenings of my life was the pleasure to attend a lecture by Spike Lee at Zellerbach Hall Theater at UCB....much, much, respect!

*smile*

5. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208

Yes... They should be ashamed. But, I wouldn't count on it.

And, thank you, Clyde for posting the link for me.

I think the only reason they are doing this is because African-Americans took a stand and boycotted the Oscars this year. Their ratings tanked bigtime. They are scared that we ain't coming back, and we shouldn't come back. I don't care how many African- American folks they hire to give awards to white folks, I ain't tuning in. I'll just wait it out for the following days to hear in the media how they screwed us over, AGAIN. Nielson reported that their estimated viewership in 2014 was 43.7 million. And, went down to only 36.6 million this past February. So, they are all shook up.

I am always glad when we "vote with our pocketbooks". And, I love to see more of it. Less emotional whining and moaning, and more boycotting people, places and things that denigrate us. That's our best way to harness our strength in this capitalistic country. JMO

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Yep, yvw Liberty, I was killing two (2) birds with one stone, posting a link that you couldn't, yet; and providing additional information ... I see you picked up on it, good deal.

Right again, we have the Image Awards and the Trumpet Awards we can support, forget the Oscars :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. African American Movies

African American Movies Member MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hollywood has a lot of those stories. Henry Fonda didn't win his first Oscar until he was literally on his death bed.

8. African American Movies

African American Movies Member MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hollywood is full of those stories. Henry Fonda didn't win his first Oscar until he was literally on his death bed.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    so you saying there's no racism?

10. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    I think the Oscars is terribly corrupt. And, as long as they are going to play unfair, we should refuse to watch. When their Neilson ratings crash and burn, they'll lose advertisement money and rethink what they are doing as opposed to what they are supposed to be doing.