Black Entertainment : RIDDICK

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Kemetstry, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    When last we saw Riddick, he was the new emperor of the universe. But in his quest to finally see his Furian homeland, he is betrayed. "You keep what you kill" is a motto that has set up a future sequel, no doubt.

The critics didn't give kind reviews to this movie. But, it is what it is. An action, sciFi flick. You are not going there to see 'Citizen Cane'. Btw, don't take underage kiddies.

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i thought the 3rd installment would be taken in a different direction....this one seem to be going back to the 1st movies m.o.

still gonna check it out tho....

one love
    khasm

3. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    Yeah, it would've been nice to pick up where we left off with the conquering of the Necromangers and all that, but ... they always intended to backtrack the story. A a sort of f/u to 'Pitch Black', a good movie in it's own right. I really wasn't expecting it be that good. 'Chronicles' kind of missed the mark, for me.
    Anyway -- this Riddick movie was also supposed to have made some years back. Just never happened.

I'll still go see the movie. Even if it's horrible, we get to see Vin Diesel in all of his muscle-y armed glory.
    >>clutches pearls<<
    Speaking of...they really need to make another 'XXX', (starring 'Vin Diesel'). I mean, I saw the second film because I like action/horror/sci-fi and...while I'm a fan of Ice Cube? I'ma really need for him to never -- ever -- stand-in for Vin Diesel in a Vin Diesel-esque movie ... 'ever' again. *laugh*

4. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Well, you kinda figured they had to explain what happened after he took over the underverse gang

5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

At the time he claimed he didn't do sequels. But the lack of good roles and a family to support changed all that. Plus it's a gold mind

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    [​IMG]
    When we last left Richard B. Riddick (Vin Diesel), murderer, escaped convict and possibly the sole surviving member of a warrior race from the planet Furya, he had defeated the Lord Marshal of the Necromonger Army and was now their ruler, seated on the throne and utterly flummoxed with his new position. That was how 2004's "The Chronicles of Riddick" ended, and it seemed that this was where the film series started four years earlier with "Pitch Black" would end, too, considering that "Chronicles" was an enormously expensive movie that flopped at the box office.

Bing: More on 'Riddick' | More on Vin Diesel

But Diesel and writer-director David Twohy, who had shepherded the character through the first two films, were determined to make a third. It took nine years, and in the meantime the cult of Riddick fans grew. Diesel got the rights to the character back from Universal Studios, and he and Twohy set out on a quest to make the film on their own, with independent financing. Working with what they knew would be a lower budget, they returned the story to its roots, discarding the epic world-building of "Chronicles" and putting Riddick back in a survival situation.

In "Riddick," he's been stranded on a desolate planet, victim of a plot to remove him from the Necromonger throne by second-in-command Vaako (Karl Urban in a cameo). Forced to survive there with little food, no tools and vicious predators all around, Riddick does just that -- recovering his skills and even adopting one of the local creatures as his companion. But Riddick realizes the planet is more dangerous than he first assumed. So he activates an abandoned emergency beacon, knowing it will draw attention to him, and soon finds himself dealing not just with the harsh planet but two sets of mercenaries, both intent on bringing Riddick back dead or alive.

Related: The best and worst of Vin Diesel

"Riddick" is a bumpy ride, not entirely consistent in tone or narrative structure, but as a science fiction B-movie with no pretensions of grandeur, it works. Diesel is effortless and confident in his signature role, the first 40 minutes of the movie -- where he's all but alone -- are unusual and compelling, and the bounty hunters are all given a chance to be more than faceless casualties. If it suffers from repetition or pacing issues in its second half, it still features enough imagination, gore and imagery to see the film through.

Here are 10 things you need to know about "Riddick," along with some commentary from Diesel himself at a recent press conference in Los Angeles:

1. Diesel agreed to make a cameo in "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" in exchange for getting the rights to Riddick back from Universal Studios.

Despite having a rocky time with the studio on "Chronicles," Diesel now says that he's pleased to be working with Universal again (who control the "Fast and Furious" movies and picked up "Riddick" for distribution): "They're looking at film differently. They're planning ahead in a way that I've never seen a studio do before. They're believing in a relationship between fan and film franchise, in a new way. They're more receptive to an audience, in part because of social media, in a way we've never been allowed. ... It's a luxury we have today, and it's really cool to see Universal be leading the charge by listening."

2. Although Diesel had producing credits on previous films, this is possibly the first movie that he really "produced" from start to finish, even putting his own money in.

"This was tricky because it wasn't like being the producer of 'Fast & Furious,'" said the actor. "This was being the producer of something that, if it didn't work, I would have lost my house. Everything that I had on my life was leveraged to make this movie. So, the stakes were higher than for any producer I know because the skin in the game was real. I was so committed to answering this growing request from the social media fans to continue this character, and the only way that I could pull it off was by leveraging everything."

3. "Riddick" reportedly cost $38 million to make, while the original "Pitch Black" came in at $23 million and "Chronicles of Riddick" needed a bloated $105 million.

Diesel: "When years and years started to go by and we weren't delivering the next chapter, we had to make a very conscious decision to find a way to tell the next chapter, continue the story and continue the mythology, even if it meant we weren't going to get the size budget we had just had on 'The Chronicles of Riddick.'"

4. The movie's original subtitle was "Dead Man Stalking," and Twohy and Diesel always set out to make it a hard-R film ("Chronicles" was PG-13, which many fans felt hurt the movie).

"Luckily for us, there was an outcry from social media to make this one rated R, which did two things," explained Diesel. "It ruled out all possibilities of a studio backing it. As you know, rated R movies are few and far between nowadays. We're all seeing less and less rated R movies, and less and less of them are being made. We had to take a more independent route, so I went to Europe, to a film market, and presented what this film was going to be, and got foreign money to start this movie and to be the bulk of the financing for the movie. ... Thank God the audience wanted it rated R because that justified, in some ways, taking a more independent route."

5. Some unexpected financial problems (the film even had to shut down production for a short time at one point) led to scrapping the original plan of shooting outdoors in the fall and instead filming on a Montreal soundstage in the dead of winter.

"It isn't the story that I had always envisioned to follow the last chapter," admitted Diesel. "Part of what I've been trying to do at the studio, and have been very successful with, as you've seen with the 'Fast' franchise, is to create movies while simultaneously thinking about the succeeding chapters, and how they would all interlink and each film would speak to one another. That felt like the challenge of our millennium. In the old millennium, when we made sequels and franchise movies, we just put the brand up there and slapped something together. We didn't expect the property to grow, we expected the property to fizzle out. It was exploiting a brand."

6. Diesel originally wanted to go to the Underverse (a dark parallel universe) and Riddick's home planet of Furya in proposed sequels.

"When we were doing 'The Chronicles of Riddick,' back in 2003, David and I put together three leather binders, and each leather binder had a lock. We gave them to the head of the studio with one key. On the first binder, it said Core I, the second binder said Core II and the third binder said Core III. At that production level, the amount of money that we were spending at that point, we were thinking of going directly to the Underverse for Core II, and then to Furya for Core III."

7. Diesel and co-star Dave Bautista, a former WWE world champion who plays the mercenary Diaz, will be on the same team as (respectively) Groot and Drax in next year's "Guardians of the Galaxy."

"David Bautista came in and was just great," recalled Diesel. "I remember when he was auditioning, I immediately saw something. I immediately saw some potential. I had just worked with Dwayne Johnson on 'Fast Five,' so I believed you could take somebody from the wrestling world and coach them into some really great performances. I was confident about that."

8. Diesel is a hard-core geek who played Dungeons & Dragons while growing up and applied lessons from that to making the film.

"A funny thing we used to say while we were playing Dungeons & Dragons, when someone would say something random like, 'I'm tired, so I might just take a nap,' the Dungeon Master would say, 'Everything that you say is in game,' which is similar to the way we approached making this movie. When you come onto the set, everything should be focused around your character and you should stay in the pocket, as much as possible. Every actor has their own process. For me, I really need to stay in the pocket. So, if I'm on set and I'm in character, I'm not thinking like a producer. If I'm on set and I'm not in character, wardrobe and makeup, and I'm just coming on set for the moments that I'm not shooting, then I'm able to be the producer."

9. Diesel has nearly 47 million followers on Facebook, and if even just 6 percent of them see "Riddick" this weekend, the movie will make $20 million or more in its opening weekend.

"The thought of listening to an audience was unheard of, five years ago," says the actor. "Movies were that thing where you went and bought a ticket, and you never got to talk to the person that made it, and you never got to talk to the creator or the producer of those films. You bought the ticket, shut up and sat down, and you could never comment about it or have a relationship with it. If Clark Gable had a Facebook page, there would have been a 'Gone With the Wind 2.'"

10. Writer-director David Twohy says he wants to make two more films about Riddick.

Diesel: "Tell David to give me the ... script for the next one, right now. He's late! I was expecting it yesterday."

7. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    the movie was great....
    but i would have rather seen the home planet saga or the underverse...
    still all and all it was a great sci-fi movie...
    i might go check it again...

one love
    khasm

8. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Hopefully, those sequels will be made

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
  10. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    It is going back to the first! After Riddick 1, no more reason to return to "The Dark" hunt and chase, Clint Eastwod in outerspace and monsters/ :puke:

And if at least one of the bad guys is not a well known star or screen villian......?!