Black Sports : Ricky Williams tells Dolphins he's retiring

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by caramelpython, Jul 26, 2004.

1. caramelpython

caramelpython Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +42
    The 27-year-old Williams, who rushed for 3,225 yards in two seasons with the Dolphins, told them this week of his decision before leaving town, a team source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

His retirement after just five NFL seasons caught the Dolphins by surprise. The news was first reported by The Miami Herald.

"You can't understand how free I feel," Williams told the Herald in a cell phone interview July 24 before boarding a plane in Hawaii and heading to Asia to begin several months of travel.

Long ambivalent about life in the sports spotlight, Williams said there's no chance he'll change his mind, and he plans to file his retirement papers with the NFL on July 26 or 27. He told coach Dave Wannstedt of his decision July 23 and said Wannstedt tried to persuade him to reconsider

"I'd love to talk to him and try to talk him out of it," Ditka said from Chicago. "It seems kind of foolish to me, but I don't know what's on his mind. You're just destroying a great career. He's a talent. To let that all go to waste doesn't make a lot of sense."

He's not the first running back to retire at or near his peak. His friend Jim Brown quit at 30, Barry Sanders retired at 31 and Robert Smith quit at 28.

But his decision was deflating for South Florida sports fans, who had been buzzing about the Miami Heat's acquisition last week of Shaquille O'Neal.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Interesting to say the least!

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    when i heard the news i was like not RICKY stepping down !
    but it's how the ball bounce and i wish hime well but he leave
    a big void in the Miami Dolphins back field ....so now this put
    them at least 5 lostest back which Ricky would have run and won
    can they still make it to a playoff spot ?

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    What's happenin', fellaz!

This is definitely an interesting development, the early retirement of Ricky Williams... I support the brother's decision to do with his life what he pleases without accusing him, as Ditkahead did, of wasting his talent...(smile!) Who says so???!

For one, I'm told the young man is quite a talented photographer, and that's something he said he'd be pursuing, along with returning to school... It is his right to say that he's tired of his job, and leave it - just as it would be our right to do same... In fact, I did just that, leaving my career in the electrical field - not for more money - but for peace of mind... I sometimes regret it, but I love my peace of mind more... Like Ricky, I've got other talents, and feel "free" as he does, to pursue many other things without the limitations my career placed on me...

The sour freakin' grapes, and the lack of understanding being expressed by the talking heads on sports radio reflects so much petty selfishness and ignorance of themselves and of Ricky, it is pathetic... I have even heard them describe the young man's decision as selfish, even as he is leaving millions on the table in the contract he signed with the Dolphins. The real selfishness is in their anger over the fact that they will not be able to see him play the game anymore, no more cheap sunday thrills... I wish the guy tons of success in his retirement, and if he can live with the decision he made, I can live with it too... He is not the first brother to cut out at the peak of his powers, and he will not be the last... I just hope Rick doesn't end up like Bison Dele... I sense the young man is a free spirit, and I hope that freeness of spirit does not cause him to flip, and do anything crazzy...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    in my opinion...he was never really into pro football...i get the sense that he wants to chill, kick it and smoke out....lol
    one love
    khasm

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm happy to see a young man leave the sport in his prime, ego intact, healthy and the smarts to realize there is a life outside of football. He is talented, intelligent, and family oriented...I wish him the best!

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    these sports radio people dont know how to discuss a matter w/ out being "controversial" or offering their "hateful opinion". weather he was burnt out, simply lost interest, wanted to pursue other visions, or simply wanted to smoke his green with out harrassment, it is his chice. would the dolphins not hesitate to cut his *** if he was not producing? or if simply a better deal came along??

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think if it's going to make him happy..then more power to him. If he's financially secure to where he can up and quit..I ain't mad at him. I would do the same thing. Now, he needs to go talk to some of those boxers out there because they should follow in his footsteps..instead of fighting until they can't talk anymore. Some people just aren't built to have cameras and media in their face for a long time. I don't blame him.

9. caramelpython

caramelpython Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +42
    LOL

Brother Quits NFL so he can smoke his trees....................LOL
    Thats one 4 the record books!

I Think He punked out 4 real...LOL
    It's my honest opinion he knew he wanted to retire before he waited this long.

Yes this is a business and just think if your employee just left and he was your top employee you would feel upset also..LOL

Go get ya smoke on Ricky.. tell Redd and Meth I said sup! ( How High? )

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    it's true he was positive 3 time in two years with the Dolphins and it was
    a major part of him retiring from the game he( Quote ) not leaving the game
    because of the test but to have free will to smoke weed .....A promise star
    and could have broken some records sadly leaves to get high what do the
    future hold for Ricky now!?
    bad way call a day done in sports but he feel he can play baseball !