Resuscitate -or- Do Not Resuscitate

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Destee, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Recently i had to deal with this question, not for myself, but for my Sister. She was doing so bad, that the doctors felt obligated to cross this bridge with me / us. I was terrified, shocked, and given a very somber discussion regarding just how bad things were. I'd never had this question presented to me, never really imagined having to cross this bridge, yet here it was facing me front and center.

When my Mother was sick and dying, she made the decision for herself. She was able (sound mind and body) to do that for herself. She did not want any invasive resuscitation efforts made on her behalf. I think it was a hard decision for her too, but she made it all on her own, and asked us (her children) to support her in the decision ... which of course we did.

But this time, it's my Sister ... just a couple of years younger than me ... with babies and everything ... and not able to decide for herself. The doctors were asking me this! I really couldn't handle it, just couldn't bring myself to make such a decision. My Sister has a twin Brother, and i immediately called him, making it be his decision and not mine.

After going through this experience, i thought i'd share it, and ask you all ... have you ever given it any thought? What if you had to make the decision for your loved one, who was not able, or who had not made prior arrangements regarding such?

Would you want to be kept alive on machines? Would they?

There are quite a few invasive life saving procedures that could be done, and a person can pick and choose which ones they'd want and which ones they don't want. In addition, you can always change the orders, if necessary.

I'd imagine that when it gets to this point, when the doctors are talking DNR orders, things are pretty grim medically.

I don't know ... i don't think i'd want to be kept alive on machines ... but i better be sure before i obligate myself. I can see my Daughter saying yes, keep her here no matter what ... i suppose most any child would want that ... i would have wanted it for my Mother, but she chose for herself otherwise. As i type this, and think about it, i can only imagine the courage it took for my Mother to make the decision she did ... allowing us all to move on in the most natural way possible ... and i'd want that for my Daughter / Children too ... let them move on ... for death is as much a part of life as birth ... there's no getting around it ... but few are actually ready to accept it when it comes.

I guess too, the question arises surrounding quality of life vs just being alive.

Whatcha think Family ... would you want to be kept alive on a machine?

:heart:

Destee

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    DNR

i have already left instruction to DNR on me.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    with that said and machines to keep me here and without it i'm gone
    NO.........I wouldn't want to be resuscitated less i have a chance of re-gaining
    health or life on my own.

when i had to cross this road back in 2001 , it was a very hard decision myself
    and sister had to make but we looked at the full stat and reality of health which
    help us make this decision that we made .

Often it's made on the behave of the living family to not prolong and continue
    a painful stat which not helping only keeping the fmily in pain
    then there are points that it's best to resuscitate because life still remain within
    da soul .

it's really a big deep and hard decision which requires a great deal of looking
    into all the facts and health stat.

Been there in this very seat