Rest In Peace to my brother Sy-Savane Alpha Oumar

The same problem exists among African immigrants in Columbus Ohio, Chicago, and Minneapolis.

This is a law enforcement problem and also a social problem.

There are too many guns on the streets of America and an unchecked culture of violence that is plaguing the black community and threatening to destroy it...or GET us destroyed by others.

I hate to be apologetic but I often times find myself apologizing to African victims of crimes that were perputrated by other black people not because I feel that I'm responsible....but just to let them know some of us care.

All of us aren't savage or cold hearted.

I'm sure many Africans could care less about the way I feel also, but it's the principle of the situation that forces me to constantly explain our people to African immigrants and why we do some of the things we do.

When I sit down to African immigrants and talk to them about slavery, poverty, the broken family, and how this government promotes violence through the media; most of them look at me like I'm just making excuses, smile, and keep going.

But a few of them understand and want to hear more.

We usually end up making friends and keeping in contact with eachother and that's my motivation.

Ralfa'il said:
I hate to be apologetic but I often times find myself apologizing to African victims of crimes that were perputrated by other black people not because I feel that I'm responsible....but just to let them know some of us care. All of us aren't savage or cold hearted. I'm sure many Africans could care less about the way I feel also, but it's the principle of the situation that forces me to constantly explain our people to African immigrants and why we do some of the things we do. When I sit down to African immigrants and talk to them about slavery, poverty, the broken family, and how this government promotes violence through the media; most of them look at me like I'm just making excuses, smile, and keep going.
But a few of them understand and want to hear more. We usually end up making friends and keeping in contact with eachother and that's my motivation.

Although I can understand and appreciate your intent, I caution people about apologizing for actions that aren't their own. This is especially true when dealing with people from other cultures. Black on Black crime is unfortunately a phenomenon which occurs worldwide (including Africa). It certainly is not unique to African Americans. Indeed crime and criminals exist in all societies. Despite this reality, African Americans have the stigma of being inherently criminal in nature. Making a mass apology, and explaining that slavery...poverty...broken families...and violence in the media negatively effects blacks in America actually furthers our image of being inherently criminal. It also creates the perception that these African cab drivers (or other African immigrants) were murdered because of who they were. In reality most were probably victims of crimes of opportunity (which many victims of crime are). Again this is not a stigma or assumption that we want to embrace knowingly or unknowingly.

panafrica said:
Although I can understand and appreciate your intent, I caution people about apologizing for actions that aren't their own. This is especially true when dealing with people from other cultures. Black on Black crime is unfortunately a phenomenon which occurs worldwide (including Africa). It certainly is not unique to African Americans. Indeed crime and criminals exist in all societies. Despite this reality, African Americans have the stigma of being inherently criminal in nature. Making a mass apology, and explaining that slavery...poverty...broken families...and violence in the media negatively effects blacks in America actually furthers our image of being inherently criminal. It also creates the perception that these African cab drivers (or other African immigrants) were murdered because of who they were. In reality most were probably victims of crimes of opportunity (which many victims of crime are). Again this is not a stigma or assumption that we want to embrace knowingly or unknowingly.

I didn't wanna put my boy on blast, Pan, so thanks for steppin' up, and spankin' him fuh me - 'cause he sho needed it after that post! :wink:

Right on time with the wisdom, brother... Ralfa'il, :garbage: with that stuff, man(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
I didn't wanna put my boy on blast, Pan, so thanks for steppin' up, and spankin' him fuh me - 'cause he sho needed it after that post! :wink:

Right on time with the wisdom, brother... Ralfa'il, :garbage: with that stuff, man(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

It hurts my heart to see any black people harmed or injured. If possible, I will (and do) lend my assistance, but I'm not apologizing for something I didn't do. To apologize means that you are at fault...that you accept responsibility. It a situation like this, it serves no purpose.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back