Black People : Responses

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Rain, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Rain

Rain Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Do we need history before we can move forward? If so, how do
    we search our history do we look under Black, Afrikan, ****** or;
    should we just worry about where we are now and move forward.

I believe that if we really understood our history and herstory we would not except the condition we as Afrikan people (black) are in today why; because we are an exceptional people who do extrodinary things.

Peace Rain:

2. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Rain I may be the only person who feels like this but I don't think we have to know our history in order to move forward. Don't get me wrong, I feel it is a very necessary part of becoming complete and not having history repeat itself. But... there are many of us who have made it/are making it who have no idea about our real history and culture. I believe at some point in their lives they will be faced with having to learn about it if they want more than worldy gain. But for us to prosper from a worldly perspective it is sad to say that we could remain completely ignorant and still do well. The end result would be what we seem to have from some of our elite....pulling away from our race rather than embracing us and helping us be just as successful. Move forward without knowing our history...yes. Being unfulfilled in the end..definately.

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dre' now you know we're getting closer to agreeing on this...

Hey Rain, this is a good topic. May I suggest that you also visit the thread "Do We Need A Leader" for some previous comments that cover this question in quite a bit of detail.

Dre'...if you read my last post there, I think we're getting closer on this point! *lol* I am still, however, a major proponent of the value that our history can have on one's total perspective by enhancing our ability to develop better and clearer vision of where we want to go.

How's that for a "marriage" between our two perspectives? :D

4. Anana

Anana Member MEMBER

Technical Writer
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wellllllll-

Maybe not so much as knowing our history, but understanding the type/kind of people who make up our history may be the fuel that generates a degree of passion, courage, strength, energy for some persons. It does for me. Sojourner Truth is a woman who I reflect on over and over again, even now. Her standing tall before a group of people saying, 'ain't I a woman?' inspires me still. It just does. I will probably move on and still strive to be successful in everything I do, but to reflect on her (and others like my grandmothers & mother) makes me know that I can. It's like having their spirit pushing me on, even when I don't want to go on or afraid to.