Phones and Apps : Researchers: iPhones, iPads tracking your every move

anAfrican

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
Researchers: iPhones, iPads tracking your every move

If you have an iPhone or 3G-enabled iPad with the latest operating system from Apple your device is recording everywhere it goes, two researchers announced on Tuesday.

Pete Warden and Alasdair Allan said they discovered an unencrypted file on the iOS 4 devices that stores a list of latitude-longitude coordinates and time stamps, and the file is copied to your computer whenever you sync your data.

"We're not sure why Apple is gathering this data, but it's clearly intentional, as the database is being restored across backups, and even device migrations," Allan wrote in an article published on oreilly.com.

Cellular carriers are able to track devices on their networks, but normally the tracking data is not available to anyone outside the carrier, and law enforcement agencies can usually access it only with the owner's permission or a court order.

The researchers said the tracking file stored by the iPhone and iPad is unencrypted, which means anyone with access to your phone or the computer you sync it with can read the device's tracking log. continue here

links from this article:
Got an iPhone or 3G iPad? Apple is recording your moves.
A hidden file in iOS 4 is regularly recording the position of devices.
by Alasdair Allan | @aallan | Comments: 150 | 20 April 2011

Apple Tracks and Logs iPhone and iPad Location Data in iOS 4
By Darrell Etherington Apr. 20, 2011, 7:22am PT 14 Comments

iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go
Privacy fears raised as researchers reveal file on iPhone that stores location coordinates and timestamps of owner's movements
* Charles Arthur
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 April 2011 14.06 BST

read the comments and consider the implications of the maps

(apparently this has been going on for a while. just more of the same old stuff that goes on "behind the curtain" of all these "wonderful" tech toys! forewarned is forearmed.)

Personally, i want my gps to help go from one place to another when i activate it and not for it to track my every movement and report it to a apple or whoever!
sorry, but that's just the nature of the beast; it can be tracked.

of course, the logic behind that fact is that one can be found if one is lost somewhere by tracking that signal ... although i don't recall reading an article that this was the method used to find those that were lost in the woods, or died on a snowy trail. hmmm ... well, the thought was good anyway ... but this begs the question: "good for whom?"

actually, i'd not be surprised to find that one could find an application somewhere that would allow them to track their own signal.

me, i just settle for an off-the-shelf-blister-packaged phone ... and i do not register it either!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back