Jails / Prisons : Report: Why Are So Many Black Women Languishing in Prison?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Keita Kenyatta, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Some years ago, I briefly worked as a social worker. Occasionally, I would visit clients in jail to determine their eligibility for continued benefits. They were all men -- with one exception. She was a young black woman serving time for theft. She had two small children.

She entered the visiting room handcuffed to another woman and dressed in drab prison garb. We talked through a reinforced glass window. The guards stared hard and barked out gruff commands to the women.

The idea of a woman in prison then was a novelty. It isn't anymore. According to a recent Justice Department report on America’s jail population, women make up about 10 percent of the America’s inmates. There are now more women than ever serving time, and black women make up a disproportionate number of those women. They are twice more

continued read:http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/stateof/hutchinson1208

2. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    Thank You for Sharing these Messages from the Margins!

I have spent over 20 yrs. receiving Social Services, 10 yrs. studying people from a bio/psycho/social perspective..that is...the biological, psychological and social live of individuals, families and groups, and have spent the pass 20 in practice as a Social Worker and Therapist.

This author ain't told no Lies!
    Oh the tales that could be told if I only had the ability to break through the wall of feelings associated with the stories.

M.E.
    :hearts2: