Black People : Repatriation: Another (Closer) Look

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blaklioness, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I can't remember if this has been posted before, but, if so, I'm reposting it for a refresher. Here is the story of diasporan African/Black people who have repatriated to Ghana. The stories are heartwarming, and as stated within, also somewhat bittersweet. It helps to get an insider's perspective on what to expect, so that careful and realistic planning can take place. The website for an African American sister and her husband who relocated some 20 years ago is:

http://www.oneafricaghana.com/ .

She has several relevant publications which can be obtained there at the site. Additionally, here are a few videos which feature her story and those of several others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQGVbmRmlXM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jFviE37E2Y&feature=player_embedded .

This link contains information about the movement to gain dual citizenship; there is a pdf link there as well:

http://www.oneafricaghana.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=108 .

If you are a diasporal Black person who has either considered or made the move, please share your stories----good and bad. If you are a continental Black person, please share your stories and thoughts about repatriation and any personal experiences with returning Black African people from the diaspora. I think communication will help ease tensions and strengthen bonds.

Peace... and thanks for sharing.

2. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Here are personal questions/concerns I have about the process:

1. How does one secure loans for housing purchases in a foreign country when citizenship has not been secured?

2. How are employment and/or business opportunities secured? I mean what is needed in order to meet basic survival needs?

3. As diasporal Black people, how do we defeat the 'obroni syndrome'? I mean basically, how do we seek to obtain balance between give and take such that we are helping each other rather than looking at each other with suspicion? What is needed there that we can offer, and what can and should we expect in return?

3. Son of RA

Son of RA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +92

Htpu,

Great posts! Those are good questions. Like you, I am concerned with what is needed to survive.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

Goddess, my immediate attention is drawn to #3 above. I'm not understanding the question. Is there anything we can do about Albinism? Or, are you saying what assistance can we offer to help our people to understand it better?

http://info-junction.net/wp/obroni-koko-albinism-in-ghana/

5. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I just began reading her book, Points to Ponder. I hope it will provide some information, but it is more of a travel guide. Some research will definitely be needed so that we can figure out how to make such a transition as trauma- (and drama-) free as possible. I'll try to make the thread a planning guide of sorts of possible.

6. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok, if you pay careful attention in the second video (the 20-minute one), you will hear the older couple in the market, especially the woman, complaining about the Ghanaians referencing them as 'obroni'. The term is used here in another context to supposedly describe Black people from the States who've been westernized to the point of being called 'white'. My point was that what can we do to obliterate this particular use of the term without basically being taken advantage of; there needs to be give and take where continental and diasporal African/Black people are concerned, so we must seek to discover what specific things we have to offer each other. That can't happen when we see each other as outsiders. The reality is both groups have been 'tainted' by oppression and need to recognize; continental Africans are sitting on their own land and wealth which we do not have, yet they believe us to be 'wealthy'. That is a gross misconception; to boot, they have largely maintained their own languages. We have, on the other hand, as some say, been directly in the belly of the beast and have some of our own experiences and culture to offer. Indeed, the cultural differences are there, but that doesn't mean we are inherent enemies so to speak. Hopefully that's clear.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

Okay, haven't listen yet, will do. I almost mentioned that, but was not sure. There is another thread on that issue, I think its terrible. In the meantime, I'll look for the link...Peace In Goddess

8. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    IMHO one goes to repatriate in any African nation

with an old fashioned Black American attitude as one descended from the South

and has migrated to the north,
    moving down south to ones cousins farm

1 In Old fashioned tradition you goback bringin' something

a You go back with some money to buy a house

b You go back with some real viable sklls that your cousin can use

c You go back with some new innovations that will improve your families condition

d And you go back after researching and apreciating with ones heart the beauty of the difference of city life from country life and the heartfelt desire to drop the baggage of ones city ways

and learn to assimilate to being country, and that being country is a good thing,
    not derogatory

Just all about family thats all,
    because it ,
    is the attitude that counts

After that everything else will fall in line

Personaly I would like to retire in Namibia at retirement Social security age, in about 10 years and marry 3 young wives in their mid twenties.

For me the political stability,
    and general common good of the masses is my main concern

I could not feel right living in any nation where white folks do sex tourism on little children,
    or the PM is strung out on Europe like crack,
    or gets a nut off of keeping his people,
    poor or enslaved!!!

So personaly I would choose Namibia

9. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Sister lioness, what a wonderful thread here, i have heard of many of our brothers and sisters returning home, and i myself am in deep thought and planning as to the same regards.

I like what the sister said in the second video, she was the one from atlanta, that had returned with her 3 children, and she stated that yes there are quirks and a little uneasiness at first as our brothers and sisters from the motherland get aquainted with us, and some who still consider us as strangers due to our long absence away from our home, but she stated that the whole aura and atmosphere is serene and comfortable......you don't feel as if you are a stranger regardless, you don't have the race/color societal stigmas and prejudices......you don't have police who look to you as a strange criminal, and you are not followed, or looked at as second class to anyone, and thats the beauty of HOME, because no matter the NATURAL or perceived hangups, you're going to always be welcome, and seen as equal and even, and culture/race unity is present in the air whether one knows it or understands it fully or not, its always going to be a natural comfortable feeling, when you're around your own kind and socializing and living amongst, and thats everywhere, inside the motherland and outside........

I really appreciated that sisters explanation of that......

And i mean its totally understandable for our brothers and sisters in the motherland to be at first taken aback in re-connecting with afrikan diasporan brothers and sisters......its been a long 500 somethin years, and a whole lot stripped from us, that yes we will have to eradicate the poisons of the mind and heart that are white westernized infusions into our psyche and being, but always with nature and everything ORIGINAL, it can never BE TAKEN away, its always something that we as afrikans will always have as people of the sun, and thats being divinely connected to each other in a understanding that is deeper than the surface indicates at times, and all we have to do is find enough of our selves to recapture what was stolen, and returning home is a piece of cake, and will be the ONLY medicine!

MA'AT

10. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Oh yes one other thing from the video, and also just from the experiences i've heard from brothers and sisters who've visited the old european built slave dungeons on the ghanain coast......and thats that seeing the sheer pain, tears, and deep moving soulful shake-up in our brothers and sisters when they go down into the dungeons, lets me know that there is some heavy spiritual connections when you go in there, my goodness!

I know when i do visit the dungeons myself, its going to be hard for me or any sane brother or sister to contain oneself when you're up close and personal with your ancestors, its going to be like meeting yourself 500 years later, and that spiritual force is something to be embraced no matter what it does to you....those sisters and brothers that were letting loose the tears and screams, probably never considered that that would happen, yet the spirits of our ancestors and the soul connection is stronger than anything ever known or thought of.......which is why organized religion in the modern day is so pathetic, that it shouldn't even garner embracement, the real connection with the creator and the past is in you!!!