Black Poetry : Reparations...Fools Gold

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by Heartbeat, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +86
    the idea of reparations
    tops the current list of black awareness
    157 years too late
    where is the fairness?
    should the poor white man pay
    for what went on long before his day

energy used marching for slavery reparations
    would be better suited
    for a march on the department of education
    do you think money
    will make us welcome in this land
    without being an educated people
    the money we recieve
    will only end up
    back in the white man's hand

are we so inept
    we can't make it without another form of handout
    billions of dollars in social programs
    already spent
    look at us
    did it go to waste?
    in 2002 who is to blame
    for a situtation we helped create

reparations
    a logistical nightmare
    divisive in nature
    seperative in deed
    my brothers and sisters
    there's so much more than money we need

when will we realize
    it has to be about us
    they don't give a ****
    they didn't then
    they surely don't now
    reparations won't happen
    no way, no how

BE
    (c) 2002

2. Reason

Reason Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Education/Administrative
    Ratings:
    +0
    Say dat bruh!!!

Reas

3. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Tight flow Heartbeat. This poem is filled with common sense and insight. However, I am still indecisive about this though. I understand and agree with your view and also the other view also. Gosh, I hate being this way, because I am a black and white person and don't like being gray bout anythingl. Either I'm for a thang or against it. But in this instance, I am still in the 'gathering information and insight' mode. I know for a fact that it would be better to give a free college education to AAs who want it. This is what the American Indian has so deservingly at their disposable. The education would benefit more than the money.

Anyway, it probably would have never come to this, had the american government apologized for allowing these atrocities to go on right under it's nose and do nothing. A simple apology has not even been breathed from the mouth of any President...democratic (which blacks are so loyal to) or republican. What is wrong with this picture? Thus, we are caught in the midst of the reparations issue. Whether we will ever get reparations, I don't know...seeing that we can't even get a simple apology.

What do you think, BE

Joyce

4. mojo

mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Good to read you again, brotha Heartbeat. I see you are still commanding this Page with your insight and right on perspective. You say what others are afraid to say and whether I agree or not, I respect your ability and willingness to put it out there for us to chew on.

I happen to agree on this one. Like Sista Joyce, I couldn't decide. There seemed to be good arguments FOR reparations. But for me and mine, it is my belief that the tools my father and his father and his father's father handed down to me through their own work ethic and sheer perseverence, MUST prove to be enough for me, my children, and my children's children. We as a people, must take responsibility and cultivate those we've been blessed with. By duplicating ourselves and our efforts from the home outward into the communities in which our progenitors will live and serve, THROUGH our children, we will reach our goal as a strong force in this society. This should be our legacy we hand down. And for me and mine, this is the truest way to come "FOR US, BY US".

Folks ain't gotta LIKE US. But they'll at least RESPECT US.
    No apologies necessary.

MOJO

5. Heartbeat

Ratings:
    +86
    Joyce. there has to be an element of common sense and practicality associated with this issue. The so called, self appointed, media annointed "Black Leaders" are not looking long range for the people. (what will be Johnnie Cocran's cut for legal fees) Mojo my brother I applaud wat you say and you are so on point with handing down the important things to our children like work ethic, education and respect gotten through deed not entitlement.

6. blakverb

blakverb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    brother,

you have opened a can of debate.

7. Heartbeat

Ratings:
    +86
    Blak, that is what we need to do.... DEBATE! not be forced fed by one ideology or another. But each of us using our own minds to investigate and form an opinion that is ours as individuals. thanks for the read.

8. shaz

shaz Well-Known Member MEMBER

business/management
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in perfect agreement with you, but I respect a peoples Wright to make noise about what they believe in and I am glad that they let America know that the debt to our community has yet to be settled. but one pertinent question should be who is black? And what percentage of white is allowed in a person before they are not considered black. I think if this issue were developed to its end many “brothers and sisters would be astonished to find that the blackest thing about them is their skin tone alone”.

9. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    Who's Black?:
    So Brotha Shaz, are you saying the argument for reparations is invalid because there no more pure Blacks? I believe the concept of reparations has nothing to do with the intermingling of Caucasoids with Negoids. The idea stems from the mistreatment of our Forefathers and Foremothers. They were, indeed, from Africa. What percentage of the "mix" I might be, today, is not, in my opinion, the issue.

Brotha Bruce, my take on it, however, is this (and excuse me in advance for the circuitous route I'm about to take..but I'll get to my point, I promise).

Coming Spiritual Witit:
    Throughout known history, any culture or civilization who turned away from worship of Jehovah God, was always subject to capitivity. Even God's "Chosen People", throughout the Old Testament, were captured, and enslaved time and time again whenever they turned away from the Covenant. Contrary to popular opinions and many writings, it is an historical fact that Christianity was accepted and taught on the "Dark Continent", one of the first African Christians was the Ethiopian Eunich, Phillip. Most of what we read about African Tribes is that they basically were pantheistic, or cannibalistic, and basically paganistic.

Just as God brought the Israelites out of 400 years of bondage in Egypt, He heard the cries of the African slaves. Now, many of us know that "Christianity" was used to keep us enslaved by the Massas, but those of our ancestors who learned to read, were led by the Spirit, to the Truth. Abraham Lincoln didn't free the slaves. His motives were purely political. It was all God. And God has a plan for His people. ALLL His people. I believe Black people have a special gift to give. That of love and forgiveness. (hear me) This, in NO way, signifies that we are weak. Just the opposite.

Now, fastfoward to the present. We as a People, are 157 years BEHIND, if not more. But all along, we've had those shining individuals, the strong among our people, who survived the Middle Passage, who led the insurrections, who educated themselves, who became archetects, lawyers, educators, inventors, businessowners, and on and on and on... and they did so WITHOUT handouts. There was NO Affirmative Action when Thurgood Marshall, the first Black Supreme Court Justice, took the bench for life, paving the way for Clarence Thomas and any other Black child who dreams of one day becoming such.

About 13 years ago when I first heard about reparations for the BLACK PEOPLES, I was angry, and feeling like we NEEDED reparations because of all the injustices we've suffered. I was mad right along with everybody else, because we never got our 40 acres and a mule. But my mind took me to all the individuals, known and unknown, who raised the standard just a little higher by wanting freedom and independence so badly that they took risks that would cost them their lives. None of them seemed to speak of any monetary debt that the majority society owed them. I don't find that anywhere in my studies. (correct me somebody, if I'm wrong). No, what they did, they did with a singular thought in mind. Freedom to live like every man. They did it for dignity, self-determination, for their decesdants.

Ok, we're here now, enjoying many privileges they could only dream of. What are we go'n do to honor their memory, and show our appreciation for their sacrifices? And when will we come to understand that in all this, we wrestle not against flesh and blood? And finally, money alone will not cure what ails us.

Thank you for this piece, BE. (probably needs to go into another forum as a legit discussion, cuz it's straight necessary)

Sorry again, for my ramble. This is a topic close to my heart, y'all.

alyce

10. shaz

shaz Well-Known Member MEMBER

business/management
    Ratings:
    +1
    You will have to forgive me Alyce but I never said the issue was invalid, period. but in one of my past lives or “occupations” it was my duty to decide eligibility for minority scholarships and Grants and much to my astonishment a friend of mine who was white as white could be qualified for a U.N.C.F scholarship because he was one sixteenth Native American and when it comes to money if eligibility does not count ?
    (Uncle you know who ain’t givin out **** without proof)
    but that’s just another moot can of worms!
    I happen to have some very Pale brothers and sisters and I know when the line for reparations is formed if they dare to jump in, a darker brother who hated them cause they were pale in the first place will once again pitch a ***** if he happens to see their yellow *** in front of him again?
    Cm on tell me I a lye ! (LOL)

And on another note I do not believe you referred to Clarence (“I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps”) Thomas in referencing the accomplishments of Blacks? Oh then if that’s the case lets not forget O’J,Colin Powell (LOL) Michael Jordan……. Please excuse me for being rude but if your agenda ain’t black sensitive at all?